At risk of accruing aggro...

Owen Winkler

Feb 23, 2012, 1:31:13 PM2/23/12
to habar...@googlegroups.com
Time to talk brand.

Very few people liked the logo. It has a few problems:

* It doesn't look like a logo
* It doesn't look much like what it was constructed to look like
* It does not include a clear product name

We've stuck with it because it's what we had, and change is hard and
painful. I think most of us have thought that we should do better, not
just with the logo but with the look of the site and other design
elements, generally.

I've put a bit of thought into prior discussion about logos. There was
a lot of talk about just using an "H" for the logo. I've always thought
that the H by itself was too plain, but that decorating the H by adding
bits was more like putting lipstick on a pig than trying to create a
recognizable, iconic logo. There were attempts at color, which we
should all know better to avoid around here by now.

So I began styling the H a bit, in my head and on paper. I thought it
might be fun to have an H with radio waves coming out of it, and so I
drew a few of those. I thought about how the name and logo might be
animated, and that the first and last letters of "Habari" are "Hi",
which is interesting to me, as it evokes the kind of feeling you get
being around our community -- "Hi! Welcome! What's new?"

Ultimately, I came up with a design that pleased me, and pitched the
idea to a couple of people to see what they thought. Some feedback and
tweaks later, and I've arrived at something that we all seemed to like:

http://static.owenw.com/habari_logo_draft_2.png

I'm not claiming that this logo is perfect. It does correct some
problems that our current logo has. The font for the domain name might
not be ideal, but this is a detail that's easily altered if there's some
consensus as to what might be better. It does hit some key logo features:

* Scalable - It's legible/recognizable when small on screen or poster-sized.
* Memorable - I think this design is distinct enough that you could
describe it from memory.
* Simple - The design is not complicated, having few details or frills.
* Effective without color - It might be nice to apply some color to it
in certain situations, but it's not necessary, which is good when
printed in monochrome.
* Timeless - This logo doesn't cater to any current logo design fads.
* Original - The custom welding of the upper case H from a lowercase h
and i gives this just enough originality without complicating the design.

Aesthetically, we can't please everyone. I think this particular
iteration is reasonably inoffensive enough that, if it's even necessary,
it could be tweaked only subtly to arrive at something we could accept
as a community for the logo.

My intent is not to start a thread filled with new logo submissions.
Rather, I'd ask you simply to consider whether you would accept this as
a logo for Habari. If this logo has some specific reason why it's use
is unacceptable for our project, please reply with those thoughts. If
you like the logo, maybe even you have some specific useful suggestion
to tweak it that could improve it -- you can reply with that too. Let's
just get a consensus going one way or another, and maybe we can move
forward.

Thanks.

Owen

Christopher Davis

Feb 23, 2012, 1:40:55 PM2/23/12
to habar...@googlegroups.com
I really like this iteration, although I am not sold on the domain name font, but that is minor.

I think the font used for the letter mark might be able to be tweaked a bit, but that is minor as well. All in all I really love the direction and the effect.

Thanks for the work on this Owen!

Scott Merrill

Feb 23, 2012, 1:46:31 PM2/23/12
to habar...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 1:31 PM, Owen Winkler <epi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ultimately, I came up with a design that pleased me, and pitched the idea to
> a couple of people to see what they thought.  Some feedback and tweaks
> later, and I've arrived at something that we all seemed to like:
>
> http://static.owenw.com/habari_logo_draft_2.png

I like this. Well done.

Colin

Feb 23, 2012, 2:08:35 PM2/23/12
to habar...@googlegroups.com
Nice work and I like it a lot.

My only suggestion is to possibly increase the contrast in colours between the h and i - make the i a little bit lighter so the difference in colours can be better seen at smaller sizes.

Owen

Colin Seymour
Blog: http://colinseymour.co.uk
Tech Stuff: http://lildude.co.uk
Barefoot Running: http://barefootrunner.co.uk
IRC: lildude #habari

Matthias Bauer

Feb 23, 2012, 2:57:33 PM2/23/12
to habar...@googlegroups.com
I like it, but I think it needs improving. Funny though: The Habari/Hi
thing has been floating around forever
(http://markmail.org/message/k2v634ngme353z4p) and we never really did
anything with it :)

> --

> habari-dev-...@googlegroups.com

Owen Winkler

Feb 23, 2012, 3:35:22 PM2/23/12
to habar...@googlegroups.com
On 2/23/2012 2:57 PM, Matthias Bauer wrote:
> I like it, but I think it needs improving. Funny though: The Habari/Hi
> thing has been floating around forever
> (http://markmail.org/message/k2v634ngme353z4p) and we never really did
> anything with it :)

I meant to mention you in my original message. I seem to recall you
producing something other than the bell design, even as simple as what I
submitted here.

Thanks for reminding me.

Owen

Matthias Bauer

Feb 23, 2012, 3:39:13 PM2/23/12
to habar...@googlegroups.com
So let's do this rebrand. I just don't think we should be using a Star
Trek font :)

Owen Winkler

Feb 23, 2012, 3:45:06 PM2/23/12
to habar...@googlegroups.com
On 2/23/2012 3:39 PM, Matthias Bauer wrote:
> So let's do this rebrand. I just don't think we should be using a Star
> Trek font :)

See, that's the kind of objective comment that makes sense to me.

You say "Star Trek" and although I hadn't even considered it before, I
now CAN'T STOP SEEING IT.

So, thanks for that. :p

Owen

dvector

Feb 24, 2012, 8:02:35 AM2/24/12
to habar...@googlegroups.com
Love the hi hello idea and like the i behind, but it should look more dynamic.

Hope you don't mind me posting here please find attached derivative that I've done over lunch.
The letter i in the attached could be developed further to represent personal/you

/David
vectorvend
habari_logo_vectorvend_01.pdf