Updated version of Google Web Designer available - black screen issue fix

Jaz

Apr 30, 2014, 1:04:23 PM4/30/14
to gwd...@googlegroups.com
Hi GWD Community,

We've just released a fix for the black screen issue on GWD supported versions. Please take a look at our release notes for more information.

Note:

 If the problem persists, close Google Web Designer, delete the following folder, and relaunch:

  • Windows: HD:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Google\Google Web Designer\data\cache(note: you need to enable “Show hidden files, folders, and drives” in Folder options View tab)
  • Linux: ~/.local/share/google-web-designer/data/cache
  • Mac: /Users/<username>/Library/Application Support/Google/Web Designer/data/cache

thx!

jaz

Jasmine Rogers

Program Manager, GWD

thetrai...@gmail.com

Apr 30, 2014, 10:53:50 PM4/30/14
to gwd...@googlegroups.com
Running Ubuntu 14.04 English. It has not fixed it for me still a black screen. Where do I find ~/.local/share/google-web-designer/data/cache file. I tried to delete it via terminal but it tells me it is write protected, but I cannot actually find the Dir.

Cheers

thetrai...@gmail.com

Apr 30, 2014, 11:21:30 PM4/30/14
to gwd...@googlegroups.com
I manged to delete: ~/.local/share/google-web-designer/data/cache. I got rid of the tilde at the beginning of the folder location specified: /.local/share/google-web-designer/data/cache.

Cheers

bastian...@gmail.com

May 1, 2014, 5:47:35 AM5/1/14
to gwd...@googlegroups.com
hi,

this is nice, but how do i update because when google webdesigner starts, i only get white screen and nothing seems to happen?
the download link for webdesigner still points to the old version, is there manual download/update possibility?

i'm running this on latest ubuntu.

.b

Jaz

May 1, 2014, 12:08:15 PM5/1/14
to gwd...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bastian,

Can you confirm the desktop environment are you using? We have found that some users running Unity ran into this same issue.

thx

wm....@gmail.com

May 1, 2014, 11:16:55 PM5/1/14
to gwd...@googlegroups.com
I found a solution to the white screen problem bastian and other have experienced: install Gnome, run from command line using "LOCATION=en_US google-webdesigner"

Gory Details:

Running Fedora 20 with KDE installed, verbose-logging referenced locale correctly, but threw errors downloading http://www.gstatic.com/ninja/config/shell_config.xml.

After Gnome installed, verbose-logging referenced locale failure and same shell_config.xml problem.

Using "LOCATION=en_US google-webdesigner", GWD opened properly (and very cool, I might add).

- Bill

bastian...@gmail.com

May 2, 2014, 4:31:52 AM5/2/14
to gwd...@googlegroups.com
hi,

yes this definetely seemed to be locale problem.
I noticed too that when i used guest account with LXDE desktop, webdesigner launched as supposed.. so i thought it's KDE problem (my main desktop) so i tried my main user account in LXDE.. still no go.

LANGUAGE variable seems to go on top of LANG.. and that was automaticly set on my main user account (it wasn't precent in guest login).. so I removed that, cleaned config files, and now it starts!

funny thing is, it only had to be done once??
now I set everything back to finnish language, LXDE and KDE both work just fine..

thanks for the tips!
running 10.0.6, in Kubuntu 14.04.. now.. some coffee and let's see what this program is all about :)

.b

java2me...@gmail.com

May 3, 2014, 7:52:48 PM5/3/14
to gwd...@googlegroups.com
Arch linux (x64) with Cinnamon

Works for me. GWD from AUR

Mohammed Irfan

May 5, 2014, 2:45:53 AM5/5/14
to gwd...@googlegroups.com
Doesn't work on my Ubuntu 14.04 64bit.

Here's the verbose log:-

I0505 11:59:37 ../shell/core/logging.cc:296] Session start Linux
I0505 11:59:37 ../shell/core/app_utilities.cc:107] User locale: en_US
W0505 11:59:39 ../shell/cef_objects/shell_configuration.cc:338] Configuration download failed! url=http://www.gstatic.com/ninja/config/shell_config.xml
E0505 11:59:39 ../shell/linux/main.cc:278] Failed to load shell configuration from "http://www.gstatic.com/ninja/config/shell_config.xml"
I0505 11:59:42 ../shell/cef_objects/ninja_cef_client.cc:859] Load start for main browser frame
I0505 11:59:42 ../shell/cef_objects/ninja_cef_client.cc:866] Load end for main browser frame. status= 0
I0505 11:59:51 ../shell/cef_objects/ninja_cef_client.cc:369] CM: "Uncaught TypeError: Object #<Object> has no method 'dispatchEvent'"
W0505 11:59:52 ../shell/cef_objects/ninja_cef_client.cc:671] Timed out waiting for close acknowledgment. Forcing browser close.
I0505 11:59:52 ../shell/linux/main.cc:458] Application shutdown normally. Return value = 0
I0505 11:59:52 ../shell/core/logging.cc:303] Session end

I'd also like to mention that I'm not using any proxies or anything. Besides, cURL works fine in retrieving http://www.gstatic.com/ninja/config/shell_config.xml from the command line.

San Khong

May 5, 2014, 1:07:28 PM5/5/14
to gwd...@googlegroups.com
Mohammed,

What desktop environment are you running in your Ubuntu?  Would you please installing Gnome to see if it fixes it for you?  After installing Gnome, log out and log back in and try launching GWD again.

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop

Thanks,
San

Ihsan Hidayat

May 6, 2014, 3:53:55 AM5/6/14
to gwd...@googlegroups.com
its not work for me (win 7 64-bit)
after i delete cache folder, i open gwd and still black screen
and i try to check /data, and cache was appear again

San Khong

May 6, 2014, 7:56:14 PM5/6/14
Ihsan,

What is the language of your system locale?  Has GWD ever worked for you or is this the first time you tried it and got the black screen?

There's also another issue with black screen due to video driver.  Please try updating your video driver to see if it fixes it for you.

Thanks,
San

mom...@gmail.com

May 7, 2014, 5:08:23 AM5/7/14
to gwd...@googlegroups.com
Hi folks,

the black screen issue persits but I don't think it is a locale issue, at least not in my case. The error messages generated point rather to some gpu issues. I'm running debian 7 on an intel gma4000 system w/ gnome desktop, so the system requirements are definitely met. Deleting the cache did not work either.

libGL error: MESA-LOADER: could not create udev device for fd 14
ATTENTION: default value of option force_s3tc_enable overridden by environment.
[0507/103902:ERROR:context_group.cc(192)] ContextGroup::Initialize failed because too few texture units.
[0507/103902:ERROR:gles2_cmd_decoder.cc(2168)] GpuScheduler::InitializeCommon failed because group failed to initialize.
[0507/103902:ERROR:command_buffer_proxy_impl.cc(166)] Failed to initialize command buffer service.
[...]

mom...@gmail.com

May 7, 2014, 5:31:04 AM5/7/14
to gwd...@googlegroups.com
...indeed it was a mesa issue which was caused by a libudev issue. GWD was linked to both versions - libudev1 and libudev0. Removing the latter one fixed the issue. For reference see:

priyaranj...@gmail.com

May 8, 2014, 7:08:08 AM5/8/14
to gwd...@googlegroups.com
thanx............

egon...@gmail.com

May 11, 2014, 11:03:37 PM5/11/14
to gwd...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone...

I'm having the same problem. (White screen when open it)

How can I fix it?

Ubuntu 14.04 64bits

bastian...@gmail.com

May 12, 2014, 3:21:46 AM5/12/14
to gwd...@googlegroups.com
what worked for me eventually, was to set my language/locale to english, remove the webdesigner directory, and launch it once like that. after succesful run, I set my language back to finnish that I had before.

so you could try:
1) rm -R -f ~/.local/share/google-web-designer
2) LANGUAGE=en google-webdesigner

if it doesn't work you can also set LANG to "en_US.UTF-8" for example..
but I think LANGUAGE is the key here..

if you are already on english language system, then sadly, I don't know what's wrong..

.b

San Khong

May 12, 2014, 11:00:15 AM5/12/14
to gwd...@googlegroups.com
Which desktop environment do you have with your Ubuntu?  Are you behind a web proxy?

If you run a desktop environment that is not gnome, please try installing gnome then log out and log back in and relaunch GWD.

If you're behind a proxy, please look at this document.  https://support.google.com/webdesigner/answer/3546718?hl=en

Thanks,
San
GWD Team

egon...@gmail.com

May 12, 2014, 9:51:03 PM5/12/14
to gwd...@googlegroups.com
Bastian, I tried to do this...

I`m from Brasil, so, I translated my OS to English language and then I tried to run the program with no success.

San, I`m not behind a proxy and when I tried to install the gnome environment, I got a message that gnome is already installed.

ubuntu-desktop is already the newest version.
The following package was automatically installed and is no longer required:
linux-image-generic
Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove it.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 30 not upgraded.

Thank you guys for support at now. =)

San Khong

May 13, 2014, 12:24:32 PM5/13/14
egonholtz,
Please run the following commands to get us the log files

cat ~/.local/share/google-web-designer/logs/browser.log
cat ~/.local/share/google-web-designer/logs/zygote.log

Thanks,
San

panch...@gmail.com

May 13, 2014, 1:31:01 PM5/13/14
to gwd...@googlegroups.com
works on Fedora 20 x64

egon...@gmail.com

May 13, 2014, 7:16:42 PM5/13/14
to gwd...@googlegroups.com
browser.log > E0512 22:42:05 ../shell/linux/main.cc:278] Failed to load shell configuration from "http://www.gstatic.com/ninja/config/shell_config.xml"

zygote.log > empty...

egon...@gmail.com

May 13, 2014, 10:13:45 PM5/13/14
to gwd...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone. I resolved a part o f the problem...

San, now I`m understand why you ask if am I behind a proxy...

I tried to open the shell_config.xlm and saw the file, so, I tried every URL on this page using curl -i on my terminal.

When I used this command, I got errors with all URLs:
curl: (6) Could not resolve host: www.gstatic.com

So, I changed my DNS server on my router to 8.8.8.8 and this starts to work (chers) =D

But now I`m getting a different problem:

E0513 20:24:25 ../shell/cef_objects/ninja_cef_app.cc:312] Uncaught javascript exception
Uncaught TypeError: Object #<Object> has no method 'dispatchEvent' (about:blank:0)

E0513 20:24:25 ../shell/core/utils.cc:802] Javascript Stack
(about:blank:0:150)

E0513 22:53:46 ../shell/cef_objects/ninja_cef_app.cc:312] Uncaught javascript exception
Uncaught TypeError: Object #<Object> has no method 'dispatchEvent' (about:blank:0)

E0513 22:53:46 ../shell/core/utils.cc:802] Javascript Stack
(about:blank:0:150)

egon...@gmail.com

May 14, 2014, 12:01:33 AM5/14/14
to gwd...@googlegroups.com
I`m sorry posting again...

I installed the Java SDK 8 on my computer, then, Google Web Designer finally starts work =D

Thanks everyone for support. =D

Sergio Callegari

May 14, 2014, 1:08:25 PM5/14/14
to gwd...@googlegroups.com
Latest GWD for linux (deb 64 bit) still gives the blank window on a Kubuntu Linux 14.04 (trusty) host.

A few notes:

1) Error in zygote.log file is

E0514 18:54:54 ../shell/cef_objects/ninja_cef_app.cc:312] Uncaught javascript exception

     Uncaught TypeError: Object #<Object> has no method 'dispatchEvent' (about:blank:0)

E0514 18:54:54 ../shell/core/utils.cc:802] Javascript Stack
           (about:blank:0:150)

2) Error in browser.log is

E0514 18:54:47 ../shell/linux/main.cc:278] Failed to load shell configuration from "http://www.gstatic.com/ninja/config/shell_config.xml"

3) Since someone reports success after installing the Java 8 SDK or full gnome, I strongly suspect that there is some missing dependency or that a default kubuntu install has alternative package with respect to a default ubuntu install for some packages that break GWD (some gtk theme engine?). Note that a kubuntu system can install identical software packages as the corresponding ubuntu. The package repositories are the same. But the default installed packages are not the same.

marcoci...@gmail.com

May 28, 2014, 9:26:51 AM5/28/14
to gwd...@googlegroups.com
Hi folks,
I have done some research but I found different opinions and I thought I'd ask you official members.
If I create a banner with the latest version of gwd, the banner will be compatible with internet explorer?

thank you very much.

Marco

rmr...@gmail.com

May 29, 2014, 12:25:47 PM5/29/14
to gwd...@googlegroups.com
Still getting a blank window (white empty window). I only can close that window.

OpenSUSE 13.1 x64

~> cat ~/.local/share/google-web-designer/logs/browser.log
E0529 18:18:56 ../shell/linux/main.cc:278] Failed to load shell configuration from "http://www.gstatic.com/ninja/config/shell_config.xml"

~> curl -i http://www.gstatic.com/ninja/config/shell_config.xml
HTTP/1.0 200 OK
Vary: Accept-Encoding

~> uname -a
Linux DB07751.site 3.11.10-11-desktop #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon May 12 13:37:06 UTC 2014 (3d22b5f) x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

~> locale
LANG=es_ES.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="es_ES.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="es_ES.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="es_ES.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="es_ES.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="es_ES.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="es_ES.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="es_ES.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="es_ES.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="es_ES.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="es_ES.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="es_ES.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="es_ES.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=

Even I tried after removing:
~/.local/share/google-web-designer/data/cache

And same results.

jrto...@gmail.com

Jun 5, 2014, 8:35:53 AM6/5/14
to gwd...@googlegroups.com
Are there any plans to open source Google Webdesigner?

I realise it's difficult to test on every distro/desktop but if it was open source, it would be fixed in a day.

jrto...@gmail.com

Jun 5, 2014, 11:25:52 AM6/5/14
to gwd...@googlegroups.com
After much investigation, I have not got to the bottom of why GWD stops at the white screen.

However, I managed to get it working in KDE on Arch by running GWD under Gnome on a Debian VM, then I copied the contents of ~/.local/share/google-web-designer/ from the VM to my desktop and it now works.

The only indication of an issue on my desktop is the error in the browser log:

E0605 14:07:48 ../shell/linux/main.cc:278] Failed to load shell configuration from "http://www.gstatic.com/ninja/config/shell_config.xml"

My desktop machine is not behind a proxy and I can download the shell_config.xml manually without issue.

Jaz

Jun 5, 2014, 6:10:28 PM6/5/14
to gwd...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for letting us know you were able to get it working, hopefully this can help others with a similar setup.
Currently we do not have plans to open source GWD, but should that change, we'll be sure to update via forum and social media.

thx!

Chef LeeZ

Jun 19, 2014, 12:12:17 AM6/19/14
to gwd...@googlegroups.com
HI Jaz,

What is a black screen issue? Has GWD addressed any of the real issues with upgrades since launch in Nov 2013? 1.0.1.0 .. like the editing problems or adding video or .... ? So much time is lost when editing adding info to text fields or changing  links in a text box that it makes one not want not to make edits.

Chef LeeZ

Jun 19, 2014, 12:17:50 AM6/19/14
to gwd...@googlegroups.com
Are upgrades supposed to update automatically? I see something 1.05.04.16 and my version is still 1.01. as it was when downloaded back in Nov 2013

Jaz

Jun 19, 2014, 12:14:28 PM6/19/14
to gwd...@googlegroups.com
Hi Chef LeeZ,

The black screen issue has come up for a few users where opening GWD resulted in a black screen and users were unable to use the app. For some it required a video driver update and for others it was an unsupported language code issue on our end.

We're continually working on issues and bugs and actually, we'd love your feedback on our GWD Feedback thread. You've used GWD extensively and a closer look at the work you do and how GWD could better help you would be invaluable. Also, if you see a post you agree with, feel free to click the Me Too! button.

Yes, the updates do happen automatically, the latest version being: 1.0.6.0428. Do you happen to have your browser auto-update turned off? If so, then the webapp will also not auto update. Additionally of course, if you have never "quit" GWD (i.e. File>Quit), then the web app also will not update.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions,

thx

Chef LeeZ

Jun 19, 2014, 7:38:20 PM6/19/14
to gwd...@googlegroups.com
I have searched windows 8.1 and by the instructions I found by way of the search we do have automatic updates turned on. However it's a little confusing as it refers only to windows and no other programs. There is a list of optional updates Asus, Canon, Qualicomm Atheros Samsung.  GWD is not among them.

Is there a setting within GWD to fix this? Suggestions? If I download the current version will it overwrite or simply update?

Chef LeeZ

Jun 19, 2014, 8:01:27 PM6/19/14
to gwd...@googlegroups.com
Looking for the auto upgrade option appears to have upgraded my version automatically as it is showing the 1.0.6.428.

Jaz

Jun 20, 2014, 12:53:12 PM6/20/14
to gwd...@googlegroups.com
Wonderful, thanks for letting us know you were able to upgrade!

Chef LeeZ

Jun 20, 2014, 7:16:56 PM6/20/14
to gwd...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jaz,

Sorry I was reading the version..  the shell has not upgraded and I expect it's the shell that tells what version.  Help with how to set up auto upgrade for GWD in windows 8.1 would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx

Sergio Callegari

Jun 21, 2014, 7:05:41 AM6/21/14
to gwd...@googlegroups.com
The deb file from the website is still at 1.0.1.0-1. Still getting a white window and nothing else.
Unclear to me:
is the issue fixed?
if so, is the issue fixed in the latest version, but the application is not updating to the latest version because of the issue?

Alfio Saitta

Jun 23, 2014, 7:47:58 AM6/23/14
to gwd...@googlegroups.com
White screen for me, and from log i can see:

E0623 13:40:57 ../shell/linux/main.cc:278] Failed to load shell configuration from "http://www.gstatic.com/ninja/config/shell_config.xml"

On Debian Jessie x64 with KDE Plasma

My resolv.conf:

nameserver 8.8.8.8
nameserver 8.8.4.4
nameserver 192.168.0.1

Jaz

Jun 23, 2014, 1:32:56 PM6/23/14
to gwd...@googlegroups.com
Hi Chef LeeZ,

Did you confirm that Chrome is also set to auto update? If so, please let me know and we'll investigate a bit on our end.

thx

Jaz

Jun 23, 2014, 1:33:30 PM6/23/14
to gwd...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sergio,

Can you let me know what OS you are using?

thx
jaz

Jaz

Jun 23, 2014, 1:35:04 PM6/23/14
to gwd...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alfio,

Some users who also use KDE reporting that installing GNOME resolved the issue. Is this something you're able to do?

thx
jaz

Alfio Saitta

Jun 23, 2014, 5:59:43 PM6/23/14
to gwd...@googlegroups.com
No, i can't install Gnome. On Debian Jessie/Sid Gnome is too unstable. I do not see how gnome can solve a problem of connections :/

da...@twfmail.com

Jun 25, 2014, 5:58:52 PM6/25/14
to gwd...@googlegroups.com
Wanted to give this a try, nothing in this thread helped get past the white screen of waiting though. Debian Sid/Jessie using Openbox.

browser.log:
E0625 16:54:44 ../shell/linux/main.cc:278] Failed to load shell configuration from "http://www.gstatic.com/ninja/config/shell_config.xml"

zygote.log:
E0625 16:54:49 ../shell/cef_objects/ninja_cef_app.cc:312] Uncaught javascript exception

Uncaught TypeError: Object #<Object> has no method 'dispatchEvent' (about:blank:0)

E0625 16:54:49 ../shell/core/utils.cc:802] Javascript Stack
(about:blank:0:150)

e haze

Jun 26, 2014, 1:00:00 PM6/26/14
to gwd...@googlegroups.com
Win 7 fully updated.
Updated video drivers.
Chrome is up to date.
Deleted the cache folder.

Still seeing a blank screen.

cmla...@mail.usf.edu

Jun 26, 2014, 3:14:29 PM6/26/14
to gwd...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jaz,

Is there a way to update the downloadable version to the most updated version? I too am experiencing the Windows 7 white screen and the same |
Failed to load shell configuration from "http://www.gstatic.com/ninja/config/shell_config.xml" | bug. I can also navigate to this .xml file manually, but can't find a way to force the older version to auto-update to the newer version.

Cheers,
Chris Lancaster

intern.s...@gmail.com

Jun 30, 2014, 10:12:39 AM6/30/14
to gwd...@googlegroups.com
Now cant duplicate a page AND now cant preview OR publish the animation

Jaz

Jul 2, 2014, 5:14:01 PM7/2/14
to gwd...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

For those experiencing the white screen issue, we're currently having a few users test a build that corrects the issue. If all goes well, we'll include this fix in our next build (coming soon)!

Stay tuned!

kp16...@gmail.com

Jul 15, 2014, 11:11:20 AM7/15/14
to gwd...@googlegroups.com
I have installed today and got the same white screen window. I've just uninstalled it.

Environment: Windows 7

Jaz

Jul 28, 2014, 4:27:55 PM7/28/14
Hi All,

We have included a fix to the white screen issue with our latest update today. If you experienced this issue, can you please:

1. Set your proxy settings
2. Re-launch GWD (ensure you have auto updated to v1.1.0.0723)

If you continue to experience issues, please let us know!

Mak

Jul 28, 2014, 11:37:10 PM7/28/14
to gwd...@googlegroups.com
Finally working on my Kubuntu-14.04.
Thanks guys for the update.

Webdesigner1.1-Kubuntu14.04.png

Jaz

Jul 29, 2014, 11:58:39 AM7/29/14
to gwd...@googlegroups.com
You're very welcome and thanks for confirming with us that the fix worked for you, woo hoo!

irvan...@gmail.com

Jul 30, 2014, 1:15:27 AM7/30/14
to gwd...@googlegroups.com
Finally Working on Kubuntu 14.04.1 thanks!!!!!

nagarju...@gmail.com

Mar 12, 2015, 10:22:13 AM3/12/15
to gwd...@googlegroups.com
Windows: HD:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Google\Google Web Designer\data\cache(note: you need to enable “Show hidden files, folders, and drives” in Folder options View tab)

arunag...@gmail.com

Mar 12, 2015, 11:03:18 AM3/12/15
to gwd...@googlegroups.com
nice content

arunag...@gmail.com

Mar 12, 2015, 11:11:33 AM3/12/15
to gwd...@googlegroups.com
hi hoe r u

nagarju...@gmail.com

Mar 13, 2015, 1:28:22 AM3/13/15
to gwd...@googlegroups.com

We've just released a fix for the black screen issue on GWD supported versions. Please take a look at our release notes for more information.
This conversation is locked