Gutter Cleaning Long Island NY

1 view

mary nigro

May 20, 2019, 4:16:45 PM5/20/19
to Gutter Cleaning Long Island NY

One of the main reasons why you shouldn't ignore or avoid gutter cleaning is because most types of roof damage can easily be linked to clogged, dirty gutters. Clogged gutters cause roof damage by causing water seepage, moldy and rotting roofs, and other smells.  Gutter cleaning is an often overlooked but very important part of your regular home maintenance and should be performed on an annual or semi-annual basis. Because the actual system is well above our heads, we often don’t think about gutters as having a problem until something bad happens. On the other hand, all the leaves and twigs in the gutter may increase the chances of accidental roof fires occurring as well.

However, in moist conditions, the leaves, twigs and other debris makes decaying mulch which always tends to attract and host a whole nest of wood eating insects such as carpenter ants or termites so you have a good chance of getting an infestation. That is why looking after your roof by cleaning out your gutter ensures that you end with a healthy, happy roof. Plan to clean the gutters when the weather has been dry, as wet leaves can be heavy and messy. Here’s what you’ll need: a ladder, a trough, a bucket with a metal hook, a garden hose with a nozzle (or an attachment specifically for gutter-cleaning), and work gloves. We recommend a good, sturdy step ladder on level ground, if possible. For two-story homes, you will need to use an extension ladder. If you’re not comfortable with ladders or heights, then it’s best to hire someone to help.
Instead of waiting for the drains to overflow and notice that they aren’t keeping water off the roof very well, it is best to schedule regular maintenance in order to clean the system and keep it running smoothly. There are various types of damage that can result from having dirty gutters and backed up downspouts. Some of the costly consequences are roof rot, foundation damage, damaged gutters, and mold in walls, flooded basements, and unexpected leaks.