gRFC L22: Change name of directory `include/grpc++` to `include/grpcxx`

55 Aufrufe
Direkt zur ersten ungelesenen Nachricht

Muxi Yan

ungelesen,
25.01.2018, 19:44:0525.01.18
an grpc.io
grpc.io members,

Please review gRFC proposal L22 which proposes changing the header directory of gRPC C++ library from `include/grpc++` to `include/grpcxx` for compatibility issue. Let me know any question, comment, or concern.

Srini Polavarapu

ungelesen,
25.01.2018, 21:48:2325.01.18
an grpc.io
Is the reason for choosing grpcxx (vs grpc_cpp or grpc_plusplus) is so that it is inline with #ifndef GRPCXX_AAA_BBB_H usage in header files?

Mark D. Roth

ungelesen,
26.01.2018, 10:06:5426.01.18
an Muxi Yan, grpc.io
I would prefer to see us use "grpcpp" instead of "grpcxx", for consistency with the naming convention used in the src tree (e.g., src/cpp and src/lib/gprpp).

On Thu, Jan 25, 2018 at 4:44 PM, 'Muxi Yan' via grpc.io <grp...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
grpc.io members,

Please review gRFC proposal L22 which proposes changing the header directory of gRPC C++ library from `include/grpc++` to `include/grpcxx` for compatibility issue. Let me know any question, comment, or concern.

Mark D. Roth <ro...@google.com>
Software Engineer
Google, Inc.

Muxi Yan

ungelesen,
26.01.2018, 13:06:4826.01.18
an grpc.io
I picked `cxx` since I saw it before somewhere in gRPC code base and I thought that was a more common alias. But as Mark said, we are already using `cpp` in our current directory structure so I am totally good with `grpcpp`.

Vijay Pai

ungelesen,
27.01.2018, 11:56:1327.01.18
an grpc.io
Are dashes allowed in your names? Can I suggest instead "grpc-cpp" or "grpc-cxx" ? The multiplexing of "c" to mean "call" and also "the C programming language" has always bothered me. This also makes it clear that C++ is one among many gRPC languages (like grpc-java, grpc-go, grpc-swift, grpc-node repo names), not the "natural" choice.

falco...@gmail.com

ungelesen,
29.01.2018, 04:33:3129.01.18
an grpc.io
Thanks for this change. Looking forward to it. Had severe problems building the code base with the embarcadero bcc32 toolset. Especially the library manager tlib has problems with + and - in the filenames. So right now, I already had to patch the ninja build files to use grpcpp_unsecure.lib instead of grpc++_unsecure.lib. Since - is also a special char, I would prefer grpc_cpp or grpc_cxx.

BCC32 is a clang-enhanced c++ compiler and therefore has similar problems as the iOS compiler. Beside the naming, I also just had to add some more macros to get it compiled and fully supported.

Muxi Yan

ungelesen,
01.02.2018, 17:28:1401.02.18
an grpc.io
@falco... - Thanks for the feedback

@Vijay - dash does not work. As mentioned in the gRFC, the framework must be a valid C99 extended identifier. Underscore works; but I think it would be a good idea to come up with a common name that is followed throughout the entire repository. For that, I think grpcpp works better for now. However I kind of agree with you that grpcpp is a bit bothering.
Allen antworten
Antwort an Autor
Weiterleiten
0 neue Nachrichten