HardwareGrowler + Time Machine on a network drive

David Foster

Aug 21, 2011, 11:38:16 AM8/21/11
to Growl Discuss
I presently have Time Machine configured to use a network volume for
backup (as opposed to a local volume). Therefore whenever Time Machine
attempts its hourly backups, it automatically mounts the appropriate
network volume, does the backup, and unmounts it. With HardwareGrowler
enabled, this shows up as a somewhat distracting Volume Mounted and
Volume Unmounted notification every hour.

A possible remedy would be to add configuration to HardwareGrowler to
ignore volume mounts/unmounts for a particular volume(s), such as a
Time Machine volume. Might be a little tricky since HardwareGrowler
presently has no UI, so far as I can see.

Is there much interest in implementing this? If not, I might consider
adding the modifications myself, given that it appears I can download
the source for at least Growl (and hopefully HardwareGrowler).

Of course an easier workaround would be to disable the Volume Mounted
and Volume Unmounted notifications, but then I lose some functionality.

andtrobs

Nov 30, 2011, 9:22:44 AM11/30/11
to growld...@googlegroups.com
Did you ever find a solution to this? Or manage to modify the code?

It is really frustrating!

Christopher Forsythe

Nov 30, 2011, 6:44:54 PM11/30/11
to growld...@googlegroups.com
I think this would be an interesting change to HardwareGrowler. I have filed this issue, feel free to star the ticket so that you get updates when it changes.

Chris

On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 8:22 AM, andtrobs <andt...@me.com> wrote:
Did you ever find a solution to this? Or manage to modify the code?

It is really frustrating!

Christopher Forsythe

Jan 21, 2013, 10:06:26 AM1/21/13
to growld...@googlegroups.com
I've filed that one, please star it. :)

http://code.google.com/p/growl/issues/detail?id=573

Chris

On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 5:32 AM, Chris Searle <somethi...@gmail.com> wrote:
It would be good if wildcards could be supported in the ignore list. I have google chrome mounts and dismounts frequently as it auto updates in the background, each with a unique name.

Thanks
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/growldiscuss/-/Nk5WYfvlIa8J.

Chris Forsythe

Chris Searle