gremlin-python not support tornado version > 5.0?

Stark Arya

Oct 21, 2019, 4:22:42 AM10/21/19
to Gremlin-users

When i install gremlinpython tornado version go backed to 4.5.3   after i have  upgraded my python to 3.5.2 and tornado to 6.0.3。

1.png

When i modify  'tornado>=4.4.1,<5.0' in setup.py, The test seems higher version of tornado works ok:

[GCC 4.8.5 20150623 (Red Hat 4.8.5-39)] on linux

>>> import ssl

>>> import tornado

>>> tornado.version

'6.0.3'

>>> from gremlin_python.process.anonymous_traversal import traversal

>>> from gremlin_python.driver.driver_remote_connection import DriverRemoteConnection

>>> g = traversal().withRemote(DriverRemoteConnection('ws://localhost:8182/gremlin','g'))

>>> g = traversal().withRemote(DriverRemoteConnection('ws://192.168.4.213:8182/gremlin','g', username='root', password='dip_gdb_kg001'))

>>> g.V().limit(1).next()

[3t3 cells]

>>> g.V().count().next()

251244

So, Is it reasonable to limit tornado's highest version ?

Stephen Mallette

Oct 21, 2019, 6:25:02 AM10/21/19
to gremli...@googlegroups.com
yes - we have to limit the version because we still support python 2.7. :/  tornado 6 has this in the release notes:

> Python 2.7 and 3.4 are no longer supported; the minimum supported Python version is 3.5.2.

my intention is to make the suggestion that we drop support for it in 3.5.0, in which case we can then support newer versions of certain python libraries like tornado.

Stark Arya

Oct 21, 2019, 8:33:44 AM10/21/19
to Gremlin-users

I agree this idea, we need gradual abandon old version but not new version.
my intention is to make the suggestion that we drop support for it in 3.5.0,

在 2019年10月21日星期一 UTC+8下午6:25:02,Stephen Mallette写道:

On Mon, Oct 21, 2019 at 4:22 AM Stark Arya <sands...@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

yuxuan zhao

Oct 30, 2019, 12:50:19 AM10/30/19
to Gremlin-users
Is there any release plan about the version 3.5.0 ?

On Monday, 21 October 2019 18:25:02 UTC+8, Stephen Mallette wrote:
yes - we have to limit the version because we still support python 2.7. :/  tornado 6 has this in the release notes:

> Python 2.7 and 3.4 are no longer supported; the minimum supported Python version is 3.5.2.

my intention is to make the suggestion that we drop support for it in 3.5.0, in which case we can then support newer versions of certain python libraries like tornado.

On Mon, Oct 21, 2019 at 4:22 AM Stark Arya <sands...@gmail.com> wrote:

When i install gremlinpython tornado version go backed to 4.5.3   after i have  upgraded my python to 3.5.2 and tornado to 6.0.3。

1.png

When i modify  'tornado>=4.4.1,<5.0' in setup.py, The test seems higher version of tornado works ok:

[GCC 4.8.5 20150623 (Red Hat 4.8.5-39)] on linux

>>> import ssl

>>> import tornado

>>> tornado.version

'6.0.3'

>>> from gremlin_python.process.anonymous_traversal import traversal

>>> from gremlin_python.driver.driver_remote_connection import DriverRemoteConnection

>>> g = traversal().withRemote(DriverRemoteConnection('ws://localhost:8182/gremlin','g'))

>>> g = traversal().withRemote(DriverRemoteConnection('ws://192.168.4.213:8182/gremlin','g', username='root', password='dip_gdb_kg001'))

>>> g.V().limit(1).next()

[3t3 cells]

>>> g.V().count().next()

251244

So, Is it reasonable to limit tornado's highest version ?

Stephen Mallette

Oct 30, 2019, 6:44:05 AM10/30/19
to gremli...@googlegroups.com
we've spent the last year heavily focused on 3.4.x doing releases every two months since 3.4.0 became official. There hasn't been much time for 3.5.0 dev work yet. I'd guess we'd try to release in 2020 but as to exactly when in that year I'm not sure.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gremlin-users/1b306851-e3a2-4d72-95b6-b308129169ed%40googlegroups.com.

yuxuan zhao

Oct 30, 2019, 8:29:05 AM10/30/19
to Gremlin-users
I'm looking forward to see 3.5.0 because we've migrated tornado4.5+python2 to tornado6.0+python3.7 since the EOL of python2 is January 1st, 2020. Thanks for your contribution to gremlin-python all the time~~~

在 2019年10月30日星期三 UTC+8下午6:44:05,Stephen Mallette写道:

Stephen Mallette

Oct 30, 2019, 9:03:41 AM10/30/19
to gremli...@googlegroups.com
I would like to fully drop support for Python 2.x in 3.5.0. I'm curious if anyone would have objections to that.....

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gremlin-users/dc274153-64fc-45c8-9ba3-98e34a34029e%40googlegroups.com.

Denise Gosnell, Ph.D.

Oct 31, 2019, 8:54:14 AM10/31/19
to Gremlin-users
Adding the following to the dependency discussion: jupyter notebooks require tornado>=5.0

@stephen - I have no objections to dropping support for python 2.x.

Thanks!

Stephen Mallette

Oct 31, 2019, 9:03:32 AM10/31/19
to gremli...@googlegroups.com
I'm currently seeing what it would take to get us to at least tornado 5.x along 3.3.x/3.4.x - That will at least solve the Jupyter issue.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gremlin-users/7c1c96a6-bdbc-41c9-ae94-dc126429f744%40googlegroups.com.

Stephen Mallette

Oct 31, 2019, 10:01:27 AM10/31/19
to gremli...@googlegroups.com
Here's the PR:

if any experienced python folks could take a look at my PR description and provide feedback I'd appreciate it.

Ryan Paul

May 22, 2020, 10:36:58 AM5/22/20
to Gremlin-users
Hello, is there any movement on dropping python 2.X in Tinkerpop 3.5.0 so that tornado 6 can be used? Or have any of y'all found another workaround for using gremlinpython with later versions of jupyter notebook or ideally JupyterLab? For now I followed the solution found in this Jupyter issue that involves pinning an old version of notebook and tornado (https://github.com/jupyter/notebook/issues/3397#issuecomment-517546599). Would obviously like to not use an old version notebook and would also rather just use JupyterLab. Did your update that gave compatibility with tornado 5 allow y'all to use a later version of notebook? I tried a few different versions but keep getting "RuntimeError: This event loop is already running".

Thanks

On Thu, Oct 31, 2019 at 9:03 AM Stephen Mallette <spmal...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm currently seeing what it would take to get us to at least tornado 5.x along 3.3.x/3.4.x - That will at least solve the Jupyter issue.

Kelvin Lawrence

May 22, 2020, 9:21:04 PM5/22/20
to Gremlin-users
I looked into this issue a few weeks back as I was hitting it on Jupyter as well. I ended up going back to Tornado 4.5.1 to get GremlinPython working with Jupyter/JupyterLab.

I need to double check but I think what I found was that in versions of the Tornado client at the 5.0 or greater level there is a check to see if the event loop is already running. In the case of Jupyter it will be as the Kernel itself communicates over web sockets. In 4.5.1 that check is not present. I have not yet tried but in theory you could monkey patch that method and remove the check. The version that comes with GremlinPython via PIP will not work as is from Jupyter/JupyterLab.

In the short term going back to Tornado 4.5.1 will get you going unless you feel like giving the patch a go. I will try to make time to look into making a Tornado monkey patch myself next week if time allows.

Cheers
Kelvin

Stephen Mallette

May 24, 2020, 7:24:58 AM5/24/20
to gremli...@googlegroups.com
This comment always bothered me from that issue:

I have no idea why we close the event loop between requests (never had a chance to really look into it to make improvements). In addition to monkey patches which might help immediately would anyone with python expertise be able to make an attempt at producing a legitimate fix.

I'm not familiar with Jupyter that much but this might be helpful too:

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gremlin-users/6a06cd88-2b1b-473a-9df6-e07915b3c6f8%40googlegroups.com.