Gremlin Server Authentication

Stephen Mallette

Jul 20, 2015, 3:36:43 PM7/20/15
to gremli...@googlegroups.com
Gremlin Server didn't get authentication built into it in time for GA, but having it as a feature soon after GA was always in my mind.  I guess the future 3.0.1 release qualifies as "soon after".

With some good work from Mike Adamson (https://github.com/mike-tr-adamson) Gremlin Server now has a nice authentication model.  For websockets and nio communication Gremlin Server supports a SASL (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simple_Authentication_and_Security_Layer) based authentication scheme and for the REST configuration it support basic http authentication. Gremlin Server packages with a default implementation where both of those models authenticate against a specified Graph instance which must contain a "credentials graph" (containing usernames/passwords).  This model is pluggable, so you could supply your own implementation if you liked (e.g. authenticate to ldap, mysql, etc.).  When combining this feature with the built-in SSL capabilities of Gremlin Server, you can have a reasonably secure deployment.

You can read more about this feature here:

For those adventurous souls who wish to give it a try, this work is in the "tp30" branch of the repo.

Enjoy!

Stephen

David Brown

Jul 20, 2015, 4:12:12 PM7/20/15
to gremli...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Stephen. I'll be sure to add support for this.

Stephen Mallette

Jul 20, 2015, 5:36:21 PM7/20/15
to gremli...@googlegroups.com
Nice, David....I'll be writing some docs for driver developers soon - i'll announce on the developer's mailing list when i've got that taken care of.