TinkerPop 2.4.0 Released (Gremlin Without a Cause)

Marko Rodriguez

Aug 4, 2013, 1:48:54 PM8/4/13
to gremli...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone,

TinkerPop 2.4.0 has been released under the name "Gremlin without a Cause" (see attached logo). The last release was back in March of 2013, so there are lots of new features/bugfixes/optimizations in the latest 2.4.0 release. Here is the best-of-the-best of each project along with the full release notes.

* VertexQuery and GraphQuery API make use of general Predicates to allow for graph databases to support arbitrary "push-down predicates."
* GraphFactory allows for dynamic determination of graph constructors to allow for easier plug-and-play capabilities.
* Added support for Predicate in Blueprints for all filtering pipes.
* Pipes now depends on Blueprints and all Gremlin-specific pipes are now in Pipes.
* Lots of useful Query optimization work that makes Gremlin compilation more efficient.
* Branch factor support around out, outE, in, inE, both, and bothE.
* Added support for Grape to allow for dynamic library inclusion.
* Support for TypedGraph.
* Support for factory and modules.
* Support for metrics and monitoring with JMX.
* Lots of work on the RexPro binary protocol.

NOTE: 2.4.0 jars have been deployed to Apache Central Repo and ready for <dependency/> inclusion.

Enjoy,
Marko.

Peter Neubauer

Aug 4, 2013, 2:02:27 PM8/4/13
to gremlin-users

Looks like a lot of good work, congrats Marko, Stephen, Daniel, Mattias and all others!

/peter

(snt)-[frm]->(phn)

gremlin-without-a-cause.png

Edwin Dalorzo

Aug 5, 2013, 6:44:09 PM8/5/13
to gremli...@googlegroups.com
Awesome! I just ported my code to this new version. Looking good so far.

This is great work. Thank you everyone!

Mike Bryant

Aug 6, 2013, 2:38:01 PM8/6/13
to gremli...@googlegroups.com
Great work chaps, I for one am super pleased with all the new stuff in this release.
Message has been deleted

Bui Trung Tan

Aug 6, 2013, 10:48:59 PM8/6/13
to gremli...@googlegroups.com
I've heard TinkerPop 2.4.0 has a huge performance improvement.
It's time to try!
Thanks all of you!

Michael Pollmeier

Aug 10, 2013, 5:02:39 AM8/10/13
to gremli...@googlegroups.com
I just released Gremlin-Scala 2.4.0, it's already in Central.
There's been a lot of changes under the hood. The most obvious ones are around accessing element properties:
  • you can now write someVertex.someProperty just like in groovy
  • you can choose to use the more Scala idiomatic way with Option, which avoids null values

Check out the updated front page on https://github.com/mpollmeier/gremlin-scala for all the goodness. Let me know if you've got any problems. I'm in the middle of a major refactoring.

Cheers
Michael

Stephen Mallette

Aug 10, 2013, 11:33:07 AM8/10/13
to gremli...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the update Michael.  Good to see another release of gremlin-scala out there. How are things looking with the ScriptEngine implementation in gremlin-scala these days?

Best regards,

Stephen

Michael Pollmeier

Aug 10, 2013, 11:24:55 PM8/10/13
to gremli...@googlegroups.com
Hi Stephen,

Antonio and provided a jsr223 implementation two months ago. I was surprised that I didn't get any feedback, I'll send you a direct mail aswell next time:
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/gremlin-users/mbcjnM86Rzw/pVPJA0wS1w8J

Can you first give it a try with the 2.3.1 version and let me know your thoughts? All jar's are available on that post:
Let me know how you get along and we'll get 2.4.0 to work, too (haven't tried it yet with 2.4.0).

Cheers
Michael

Stephen Mallette

Aug 11, 2013, 8:08:30 AM8/11/13
to gremli...@googlegroups.com
now that you send that link, i seem to remember it. somehow, i think i interpreted it the wrong way (as though there was still work to do on it...which doesn't make any sense now that i've re-read it).

1) rexster sends a groovy script to the scala scriptengine when it starts up. Can you have a look at that? You'll see the warnings on rexster startup.

that should work more nicely now, as rexster has "init" scripts configurations for each individual scriptengine (that error was due to rexster sending a groovy script to gremlin-scala).

Michael Pollmeier

Aug 24, 2013, 11:01:00 PM8/24/13
to gremli...@googlegroups.com
Hi Stephen,

good news: just got it to work with the Gremlin-Scala 2.5.0-SNAPSHOT and
Rexster (2.4.0 and 2.5.0-SNAPSHOT). Please give it a try, too.
If it works as expected let's add some documentation to our wikis. I
think the best place for this is the Rexster Wiki (you've already got
some dummy code there), which I could link from Gremlin-Scala.

Instructions:
1) download
http://www.michaelpollmeier.com/fileshare/gremlin-scala-2.5.0-SNAPSHOT-rexster-dropin.zip
2) unzip the four jars into rexster-standalone/ext
3) Add this block to rexster-standalone/config/rexster.xml inside
<script-engines>:
<script-engine>
<name>gremlin-scala</name>
</script-engine>

Sample usage:
rexster[groovy]> ?scala
rexster[scala]> val g = rexster.getGraph("tinkergraph")
==>g: com.tinkerpop.blueprints.Graph = tinkergraph[vertices:6 edges:6
directory:data/graph-example-1]
rexster[scala]> g.v(1).name
==>res1: Any = marko

PS: it won't work with Gremlin-Scala 2.4.1 because of bad imports

Stephen Mallette

Aug 26, 2013, 9:31:03 AM8/26/13
to gremli...@googlegroups.com
I just gave it a try and gremlin-scala works nicely in Rexster as you reported.  I've made a few adjustments in the Rexster wiki in preparation for your wiki changes.  If you just formatted these instructions that you wrote in your post into a wiki page or something, I could link to that from the Rexster wiki.  If that sounds good, please let send me a link when you get the page ready on your side and provide a link.

Thanks for your contribution with this feature.  It's nice to see it become official.

Stephen

Michael Pollmeier

Aug 31, 2013, 3:06:02 AM8/31/13
to gremli...@googlegroups.com
There we go:
https://github.com/mpollmeier/gremlin-scala#using-gremlin-scala-in-rexster
> <mailto:gremlin-users%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>.

Stephen Mallette

Aug 31, 2013, 7:41:21 AM8/31/13
to gremli...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Michael, I've updated Rexster documentation.  The circle is complete :)