MACBETH, Toad & Alice MMFT

Jane Zussman

Feb 25, 2015, 11:33:37 PM2/25/15
to Jane Zussman
MSU’s Macbeth is an impressive work - creatively conceived as a “comic book” — one of the superhero violent ones — to “parallel the epic proportions and otherworldliness of Macbeth,” writes director Ann Folino White. She has built a grotesque “otherworld” with strange maybe-steampunkish costumes (Stephanie Eubank) and lots of artistic tattoos, a skeletal fire-escape-like set (Lex van Blommestein) with dramatic lighting (Hernando Claros) and unusual, ominous and shocking sound (Jason Price) fabulously creepy Media Projections (Alison Dobbins). The fight/murder/witch choreography (Christina Traister and Adam Niller-Batteau) was excellent and brought what is usually offstage violence to life (death) before our eyes.

We have always enjoyed Andy Head in his wildly diverse personas at MSU and Peppermint Creek - and he made an earnestly doomed and power  Macbeth. Kirill Sheynerman as Banquo and Sarah Goeke as Lady Macbeth were good, too — as well as the writhing, demonic witches (Blaine Mizer, Grace Hinkley, and Mary Dilworth) who were further incorporated into the story as old man, porter, murderer, captain and servant.

Unfortunately, even as well done a production as this can’t overcome my basic dislike of Shakespeare; the language is just too difficult for me. Though I appreciate a poetic passage here and there, too much of it passes me by. And THIS is one of my least favorite Shakespeare scripts. It feels like one of those horrible war video games. But this is my own admitted prejudice. For Shakespeare lovers, this is a must-see.

Macbeth continues through March 1 at the Fairchild Theatre (the “back door” of the MSU Theatre building on the corner of Farm Lane and Auditorium. (The program says 2 hours, but it is closer to 2 and a half.)

**Thursday, February 26, 2015 at 7:30pm
Friday, February 27, 2015 at 8:00pm
Saturday, February 28, 2015 at 2:00pm
Saturday, February 28, 2015 at 8:00pm
Sunday, March 1, 2015 at 2:00pm

** Post-Show Discussion on Thursday, February 26, 2015 (Following the Performance)

www.theatre.msu.edu
Tickets are available from the Wharton Center Box Office, 1.800.WHARTON, whartoncenter.com ________________________

3/6-7 - Mid Michigan Family Theatre Presents Mr. Toad’s Mad Adventures at Eaton Rapids High School

Eaton Rapids, MI – February 23, 2015. Mid Michigan Family Theater is putting on a delightful new production of Kenneth Grahame’s popular The Wind in the Willows. The show runs on March 6 and 7 at the Eaton Rapids High School Auditorium.

Mr. Toad of Toad Hall is an eccentric but likable chap who frequently gets into "crazes."  His latest involves motorcars, which he unfortunately smashes up as fast as he gets them. This gets Mr. Toad into a lot of trouble.

Though his dear friends Badger, Rat and Mole do their best to help, Mr. Toad ends up in prison. Come see the hilarity that ensues in this enchanting show as the unforgettable Mr. Toad tries to find his way back home.

This simple stage production has an extremely flexible cast and many wonderful, small roles.

Show time is 7 p.m. on Friday and Saturday. Ticket prices are $7 for adults and $5 for seniors and children 17 and under. A six ticket family package is $20.

Eaton Rapids High School Auditorium is located at 800 State Street in Eaton Rapids.

_______________

3/13-22 - Mid-Michigan Family Theatre Presents Alice in Wonderland at  Happendance Studios

Okemos, MI – February 23, 2015. The folly of the 21st century collides with the madness of Wonderland on March 13 – 22 at Happendance Studios in this rockin’ new musical adaptation that remains fairly faithful to Lewis Carroll’s original tale.

With all of the characters you know and love including the Mad Hatter, the White Rabbit and the Queen of Hearts, this musical imagines a present-day Alice encountering the Wonderland so many of us treasure with a texting, tweeting, Googling Alice of the modern digital era.

This new adaptation features a contemporary score by the late beloved composer Bill Francouer (known for the children’s musical Oz!) and lyricist Scott DeTurk.

Show times on Fridays are at 7 p.m. and Saturdays and Sundays at 3 p.m. Ticket prices are $7.00 for adults and $5.00 for seniors and children 12 and under. Happendance Studios is located at 3448 Hagadorn Road in Okemos. Please enter  from the east side of the building.

Find us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MidMichiganFamilyTheatre
Contact: Bill Gordon bgordo...@gmail.com 517-339-2145

Jane Zussman
G.L.U.T. List