Traffic Violation Portal

Subhash Gandhi

May 24, 2014, 6:15:08 PM5/24/14
to grayfac...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

In continuation of our previous effort at `Traffic Regulations`, we created a portal where we shall document the reality that is happening in the City. Register all the violation as far as we could. The idea of the web app goes like this:

We do capture videos in Traffic Signals where people do all sorts of violations from stop line crossing, signal jumping, no helmet, etc.,; then later analyze those videos to extract Vehicle registration numbers of the violators and then we complaint the same to local Traffic Police.

Our Idea is to make a Online Portal, where people could do the same and this portal will assist people.

Links:

Sample Violation Videos that we took:

The Portal will be a network of people, who post videos and who analyse videos. Points will be awarded to those who contribute. Stats will be displayed and top contributers get their names displayed there..

By documenting all the violations thats happening in the city, this portal acts as a tool that captures the reality. The award system will highlight top video contributers, top analyzers (those who extract violation information in a video), in a day, in a week and overall. Thus, we hope people will get involved.

The more content (videos / violations) goes into the portal, the more pressure we could build up on Traffic Police.

Subhash Gandhi

May 24, 2014, 6:16:37 PM5/24/14
to grayfac...@googlegroups.com
Lets use this forum to discuss on the direction that this portal is going to take, any feedback or discussion..

If anyone could support in analyzing the videos to find violations, or even take video themselves or assist in developing the portal are more than welcome :-)

K P Sendil kumar

May 26, 2014, 2:29:42 AM5/26/14
to grayfac...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

Many a violations are done by Police personnel themselves and the MTC buses.  I have seen many Police personnel in uniform going on bike without wearing helmet, riding their bikes on the wrong side of the road, even where concrete medians are there, driving jeeps and other four-wheelers on one ways. parking their vehicles on "No Parking" areas, etc.  They do all these while wearing their uniform or with the vehicles clearly marked "POLICE."  These people actually TEACH the public to violate the traffic regulations.  Higher officials must punish these violators severely.

CCTP do not take any action on the MTC buses that violate traffic signals, fearing that they will immediately stop the bus and other MTC employees will also join them.  To avoid this CCTP must get into an agreement with MTC to sue the violators.  CCTP must prepare a challan for the violation and send it to MTC; MTC in turn must deduct the fine amount from the driver's salary and pay CCTP.  MTC must also take stringent action on habitual violators.

The third major issue is corruption.  Many RI's take bribe from the violators and let them go.

Last but not the least is the VIPs, VVIP's, Advocates, party people.  CCTP dare to take action against these people.

The best thing the CCTP can do is to install high resolution cameras in all signals and have a central team to analyse and fine all the vehicles that violate the regulations.  This way there won't be any unnecessary arguments on the road; the Police personnel on duty cannot take bribe.  CCTP can recover the investment in a short period of time.

I invite other people to express their views.

Regards,
K.P. Sendil Kumar

Saiyasodharan R

May 27, 2014, 3:28:52 AM5/27/14
to grayfac...@googlegroups.com
Hello sir,

Well said !!!!

The Officials, people in power, VIPs, VVIPs themselves are violating, followed by the Common man. Last year we even recorded a Police men, while he speaks in Cell phone while driving.
We once visited ACP, Kilpauk office and had a lengthy discussion with an officer, who never disclosed his name / designation. Regarding installation of CCTV cameras in all signals, they already had plans for it, but he told it might take 30, 40 or even 50 years for it to happen, based on his experience of how fast things move in our government...

But we cant wait that longer, we all got smart phones, lets start shooting the violators TODAY and upload it to our DB (http://grayfaceofindia.in/modules/traffic/). As of now, its submitting content is closed to public. If anyone is willing to take videos, or analyze uploaded videos for violations, please post it here.. I shall give you permissions and explain the system over phone :-)

Saiyasodharan R

Jun 24, 2014, 9:25:16 PM6/24/14
to grayfac...@googlegroups.com
Documented the complete idea of the document

High level Summary of the Project:

Detailed Req Spec:

Would be great If you all could review the idea and give feedback :-)

Jai Hind !!!