pole mapping kit needed quickly

Alastair Leith

Nov 19, 2015, 11:27:38 PM11/19/15
to grassroo...@googlegroups.com
Hi there

I want to put together a pole kit for use at the Peoples’ Climate Rally in Perth, WA Australia on 29th November, so unfortunately shipping the new pole kit in time is probably out of the question. So looking to go DIY.

No luck so far finding a Ron Thompson Carp Gangster Pole  locally. And a guy who makes rods told me i’d be up for $600-800 to make one like that (ouch!). He suggested aluminium tube gaff poles that come in 2 or 3 metre lengths (6 or 9 feet). They thread together. I rang the tackle shop he recommended and the supplier has gone under so considering buying 30 mm diameter aluminium tube  and threading my own, or asking to borrow the fishing rod makers if I get desperate :-)

I’m not sure how to mount the camera to the rod(s) could anybody please advise me on that, again I need to source local and preferably avoid expensive camera store accessories that tend to be much more expensive than online counterparts IME.

Also could I SAFELY mount and position my Nikon D610 and lens on something like this?
Depending on lens the weight is 1.23 kg or 1.185 kg.
Nikon D610: 850 g
Nikkor 28-105mm AF: ~480 g
35mm wide-angle PC Nikkor 335 g

Best
Alastair

Alastair I Leith

Useful  Design
0432  889  831
6/9 Princes  St
C o t t e s l o e
WA  6011 Aust

Mathew Lippincott

Nov 20, 2015, 12:09:37 AM11/20/15
to grassroo...@googlegroups.com

I'd say that camera is going to be too heavy regardless of the pole.  I've been able to go to 30' with lashed bamboo.  its somewhat flexible and more than a little squirrelly, but you can make it work.

pat coyle's implementation is good:
https://publiclab.org/notes/patcoyle/04-21-2014/cal-poly-ewb-pap-pole-aerial-photography-mapping-for-india-project

--
Post to this group at grassroo...@googlegroups.com

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "grassrootsmapping" group.

Liz Barry

Nov 28, 2015, 1:49:40 PM11/28/15
to grassroo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alistair,
Did you find a solution for the rally tomorrow? Wishing you all good luck!!!!!
Liz