Automatic placement of images in MapKnitter using GPS metadata

Jeffrey Warren

Mar 19, 2015, 5:07:49 PM3/19/15
to grassroo...@googlegroups.com, plot...@googlegroups.com, plots...@googlegroups.com, organ...@publiclab.org, Vidhun Vinod

Hi, all - a neat new feature is now live in MapKnitter!

After a long wait, I've finally integrated @xvidun's feature of automatically placing images on a MapKnitter map if they have GPS EXIF metadata -- that is, if they've been taken from a smartphone or camera with a GPS. I implemented only placement in latitude/longitude so far, but we should be able to expand this to figure out rough compass heading and altitude with a bit of extra work.

To use this new feature, just drag images which have GPS EXIF data in them onto a MapKnitter map, then click "Auto-place with GPS". MapKnitter does the rest!

Read and respond to the post here: http://publiclab.org/notes/warren/03-19-2015/automatic-placement-of-images-in-mapknitter-using-gps-metadata