Fisheye correction prototype

Jeffrey Warren

Dec 30, 2016, 4:17:51 PM12/30/16
to grassroo...@googlegroups.com
Hi, all - I'd been meaning to for some time, but I finally got a quick prototype up for in-browser fisheye correction:

It doesn't currently do full-size correction, but I think that'd be pretty easy to add, similarly to how the webgl-distort library worked.

I'd love to know if anyone uploads a Mobius image with some straight/gridded lines, and identifies the correct settings to fix Mobius images for the different lenses folks have. This could make it much easier to use MapKnitter on them. Please write back if you manage to get it working with some Mobius images.

If this seems to work, we could try to set it up to run on a batch of images as well.

I went ahead and posted this as a research note too -- so if you'd like to upload example images you've tried, the comments there are a good place to do that!

Thanks!
Jeff

Scott Eustis

Jan 10, 2017, 2:11:21 PM1/10/17
to plots-or...@googlegroups.com, grassroo...@googlegroups.com
Hey, Jeff

I was taking pictures of gridded notebook paper with the Mobius a while back, i settled on a "Main -42 Edges 0" to barrel distort images to orthogonal, just based on my eyeball.

There are two "Lens Distortion" filters in GIMP

Filters -> Distort -> Lens Distortion

"Main" and "Edge"

Here is the original image

IMAG0021_test_grid_farther_away.JPG

Main -40

IMAG0021_test_grid_farther_away_40.JPG

Main -41 edges +5

IMAG0021_test_grid_farther_away_41_5.JPG

Main -42 edges 0

IMAG0021_test_grid_farther_away_42.JPG

Main -50 edges 0

IMAG0021_test_grid_farther_away_50.JPG

Scott Eustis
504 484 9599

Public Lab mailing lists are great for discussions, but to get attribution, open source your work, and make it easy for others to find and cite your contributions, register for the website, and describe your work in a research note.

Liz Barry

Jan 10, 2017, 5:59:33 PM1/10/17
to plots-or...@googlegroups.com, grassroo...@googlegroups.com
Oh, so the answer is "42"?

Jeffrey Warren

Jan 10, 2017, 6:16:44 PM1/10/17
to plots-or...@googlegroups.com, grassroo...@googlegroups.com
I see you couldn't hold that in, Liz :-)

So, i had this idea that the problem with the prototype was that it was assuming square images, and I re-ran both my test and Scott's after cropping them square -- and it worked really well!

See my comments below:

Inline image 1Inline image 2