Keeping the Grails Activiti Plugin alive!

Chee Kin Lim

Apr 30, 2012, 2:22:31 AM4/30/12
to grails-activiti-plugin
Hi there,

Time was passing fast, it was almost two years since the day I look into Activiti and creating the Grails Activiti Plugin. In this period, the project was very much run and supported by one person and his personal efforts via project hosting site at http://code.google.com/p/grails-activiti-plugin/ and online group at http://groups.google.com/group/grails-activiti-plugin.

I think active users of the plugin was realized that the development activities of the project was slow recently. Yeah, the project is reaching the tipping point, it is either stagnant here or keep growing and improving.

Frankly speaking, I shift my priority off the project as it didn't generate any income to me, and I am just an ordinary person that need to pay bills. I can't support and develop the plugin for free infinitely.

The plugin need to find a sustainable model in order to keep it alive. I would like to hear your suggestions and seek your advices for keeping the plugin alive.

Lastly, many thanks to the support given by Activiti's development team, community and plugin users to the project, and developers: Ned and Nicolas that help to release the recent versions of the plugin.

Hope to hear from you soon! Your feedback is very much appreciated.

Best regards,
Chee Kin

P/S: The same post was posted to Activiti's forum at http://forums.activiti.org/en/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3871

Andres Torrubia

May 20, 2012, 6:20:37 AM5/20/12
to Grails Activiti Plugin Discussion Forum
Hi Chee, First thanks for the great plugin. One idea would be to make
a better alternative of activiti explorer. In my opinion activiti
explorer needs improvement in the UI, e.g. try to use a dynamic radio
buttons and it is not as easy as it should, or aligning UI elements
differently.

Regards - Andres

On Apr 30, 8:22 am, Chee Kin Lim <limchee...@vobject.com> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Time was passing fast, it was almost two years since the day I look into
> Activiti and creating the Grails Activiti Plugin. In this period, the
> project was very much run and supported by one person and his personal
> efforts via project hosting site athttp://code.google.com/p/grails-activiti-plugin/and online group athttp://groups.google.com/group/grails-activiti-plugin.

Chee Kin Lim

May 20, 2012, 10:59:53 AM5/20/12
to grails-acti...@googlegroups.com
Hi Andres,

Thanks for great suggestion for improvement of the plugin.

Yes, I think integrate the activiti explorer is great improvement to the plugin. Would you be interested to work out the new UI and reusing the back-end code of the activiti explorer?

Best regards,
Chee Kin

Tjad Clark

Jun 30, 2012, 5:03:18 AM6/30/12
to grails-acti...@googlegroups.com
Well I think a great step so far, was the move to Github (https://github.com/limcheekin/activiti) as I find a lot of the community moving towards using git as a VCS - including corporates.

Will definitely give some more thought on this topic as it is a great plugin for use. Thanks for all your efforts and I hope that we as a community can continue to grow the plugin :)

Thanks
Tjad

Chee Kin Lim

Jun 30, 2012, 11:36:34 PM6/30/12
to grails-acti...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tjad,

Thanks for your interest to the plugin and your writing.

When there are enough interest from the community, I think the better way is to create Grails Activiti as a organization in github to host activiti plugin, spring security integration plugin, shiro security integration plugin and other upcoming activiti plugins.

Let's say I create the organization, anyone here interested to join, to grow the plugin together?

Best regards,
Chee Kin

Tjad Clark

Jul 2, 2012, 11:45:28 AM7/2/12
to grails-acti...@googlegroups.com
Hi Chee Kin

I would be quite interested in helping this community. I do have other priorities, but would be willing to keep myself updated with what's happening with the Grails Activiti Organization. I would be willing to acquire tasks that need to be done via some sort of TODO list as well. It wouldn't be my highest priority, but I would definitely be willing to commit some time towards the community projects, taking on tasks as I have time available.

I fully support your idea and look forward to seeing its success.

Thanks
Tjad

Chee Kin Lim

Jul 2, 2012, 10:55:04 PM7/2/12