Enterprise ready?

Andrew Hughes

Feb 20, 2013, 11:32:12 AM2/20/13
to grails-acti...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I'm a software developer at the University of Texas and we're evaluating various BPM / workflow solutions to use for provisioning authentication services. The Activiti+Grails solution looks appealing. I'm wondering if anybody here is using this in production, how the development went, if the plugin code is mature, etc... (and also if anybody is reading these posts-heh).

Any comments or feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks - Andrew Hughes
ITS Applications

Chee Kin Lim

Feb 21, 2013, 5:38:12 AM2/21/13
to grails-acti...@googlegroups.com
Hi Andrew,

Thanks for your interest to the plugin. Please see my old blog post regarding this topic at http://limcheekin.blogspot.com/2011/05/is-grails-activiti-plugin-production.html.

Appreciate if current users of the plugin provide further feedback and sharing their experience here.

Hope this help.

Best regards,
Chee Kin

--

---

Alberto Navarrete

Feb 21, 2013, 5:42:56 AM2/21/13
to grails-acti...@googlegroups.com
Hi Andrew,

I'm using this plugin and it works fine. Also, if you need, you can use all activiti api function in your code.

And of course i read this post. :)

Regards,
Alberto Navarrete

Sakhr Talibi

Feb 21, 2013, 6:03:50 PM2/21/13
to grails-acti...@googlegroups.com
It's a very nice plugin, you can use the plugin api easly.
Thank's to Lim Chee Kin

2013/2/21 Alberto Navarrete <alberto....@plenummedia.com>
--

---

__________

Je vous souhaite une bonne journée et reste à votre entière disposition pour tout complément d'informations.

Cordialement

Talibi Sakhr
Ingénieur d'étude et développement (Java / J2EE / Mobile)

Chee Kin Lim

Feb 21, 2013, 10:37:58 PM2/21/13
to grails-acti...@googlegroups.com
Hi Guys,

Thanks for quick response and valuable feedback.

Andrew, for your information there are still many improvements can be done for the plugin as written in the blog post at http://limcheekin.blogspot.com/2012/07/grails-activiti-evolution.html. Appreciate your feedback.

But the issues I'm facing not so much different from Marc Palmer as written in his recent blog post at http://www.anyware.co.uk/2005/2013/02/07/a-change-to-my-grails-plugins/

Hope this clarify.

Cheers,
Chee Kin

Andy

Feb 22, 2013, 9:19:46 AM2/22/13
to grails-acti...@googlegroups.com
Andrew,

I'm a senior programmer analyst at National Instruments in Austin.  We're currently mid-way through developing a Grails application which incorporates Activiti. We're using the plugin, along with the activiti-spring security plugin.

We have found that we do not leverage the tight coupling tat the plugin provides between GORM domain objects and controllers that much - in our application, much of what we want to do with workflows doe not revolve around a particular domain object instance. We do access the Activiti services through the beans injected by the plugin quite a bit, though.

We've encountered a couple of issues with the plugins as we've progressed relating to the custom serializer used of process variables, namely this one..

..and this one relating to spring security integration..

The great thing about Grails plugins, and open-source in general, is that you have the ability to troubleshoot the code yourself (given a sufficient skill level ;)

We've encountered a couple minor issues with Activiti itself, but no blockers. One issue is that V5.9 of the engine gripes if you try to redeploy the same bpmn descriptor from a different path (which can happen when you have multiple developers with STS installed to different paths, for example) This bug, and one other I can't recall, are fixed in Activiti V5.11. I'm not sure how that will work with the plugin - I started to try to upgrade, but I think a clean install may go more smoothly than switching from 5.9 to 5.11, so I've deferred for now.

Generally, Activiti seems to be very robust and capable - my project will have to progress further to know how stable and performant it is.. We've discovered use-cases for it that we originally did not even anticipate (for example, you can use it as a sort of 'cron' job scheduler) Frankly, our development effort is just now getting to the point where we're going to begin most of the Activiti work, so you might want to check back with me in a month or two, if that's an option timeline-wise.

Andy Coulson
R&D IT
National Instruments

Andrew Hughes

Mar 12, 2013, 10:25:35 PM3/12/13
to grails-acti...@googlegroups.com
Thanks to everybody for the responses. They're definitely helpful. We're still in the evaluation phase of things, and we're also looking at the solution offered by Bonita Studio because ideally we'd like to devote as little development as possible so that our BA's and other less coder-types can implement our solutions.

Again, thanks - Anderw