Add 'release' as a known version suffix

Daz DeBoer

Aug 14, 2015, 4:29:45 PM8/14/15
to Gradle Development List
Hi
We've inherited from Ivy some special ordering logic very limited set of 'special' version suffixes: "dev", "rc" and "final". Unfortunately the Spring team has used "RELEASE" to indicate their final releases, causing some user reported problems.

The correct fix is probably to properly model versions, and so that we can have different versioning schemes for different modules and allow the versions to be more logically matched and ordered.

However it would be quick and easy to add 'release' to the set of suffixes we support, to help users of Spring. What do you think?

Daz

René Gröschke

Aug 16, 2015, 7:00:21 AM8/16/15
to gradl...@googlegroups.com
I think this makes sense. I've seen clients using that suffix too

René Gröschke
@breskeby

Adam Murdoch

Aug 16, 2015, 7:08:31 PM8/16/15
to gradl...@googlegroups.com
It's strictly speaking a breaking change, but I think we could live with it in this case. It would break anyone relying (explicitly or implicitly) on the fact that 'release' is currently < a bunch of other suffixes.

How would 'final' and 'release' be ordered relative to each other? Currently 'release' is < 'final', and I think it would make sense to keep this ordering.

--
Adam Murdoch
Gradle Co-founder