what is the status of GPARS working to v2? github looks untouched for some time

will.w...@btinternet.com

Jan 5, 2017, 9:42:33 AM1/5/17
to GPars Users
I've been using 1.2.1 for my own local projects but was expecting to detect more obvious signs of uplift along with the roadmap (now out of date )

just how active is GPARs as a project and does any one know/estimate what the next major release is (v2, v.1.3 etc and when we might expect such an animal)

i understand that the java 8 streams work is a cause of much refactoring

appreciate any update (2017) that anyone might be able to offer.

Russel Winder

Jan 5, 2017, 11:56:33 AM1/5/17
to will.w...@btinternet.com, GPars Users
On Thu, 2017-01-05 at 06:42 -0800, will.w...@btinternet.com wrote:
> I've been using 1.2.1 for my own local projects but was expecting to
> detect
> more obvious signs of uplift along with the roadmap (now out of date
> )

No-one is actively working on GPars 1.x. There could be a 1.3.0 release
I guess, but that would need someone with release magic to create the
ability to do a release RC for testing, and then an actual release. The
build system is in something of a state of flux from the old working
Codehaus release system, to something that works
via Artifactory/Bintray/jCentre/Nexus/Maven Central/etc.

> just how active is GPARs as a project and does any one know/estimate
> what
> the next major release is (v2, v.1.3 etc and when we might expect
> such an
> animal)

In that there is stuff to do, GPars 1.x could be active. In that there
is no-one putting time into it, GPars 1.x is inactive.

> i understand that the java 8 streams work is a cause of much
> refactoring

I will over the next couple of months be gutting more of the extra166y
stuff from the jdk8 branch so that the tests pass. This should then be
GPars 2.0 (it's effectively 1.3 but with no parallel array stuff left,
i.e. all the data parallelism stuff removed so people use the Streams
from JDK8). Once we have green on the CI for this, I will have to find
out how to release it, which will mean coming to terms with the
Artifactory/Bintray/jCentre/Nexus/Maven Central/etc. behemoth. This
may, or may not, lead to some form of success.

> appreciate any update (2017) that anyone might be able to offer.

GPars got a great new website during last year, but none of the
original contributors had time to work on anything in the software
itself, and no new contributors showed up. GPars is a pure volunteer
effort, there is no corporate backing. Thus there is no point in having
a "roadmap", since without schedulable resource, there is no point in
have a plan.

If you know anyone who can and wants to contribute, send them our way…

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder t: +44 20 7585 2200 voip: sip:russel...@ekiga.net

jim northrop

Jan 5, 2017, 3:02:11 PM1/5/17
to GPars Users, will.w...@btinternet.com
Am starting to look into preparing our GPars Website for the next release. This documentation was originally posted on a cloud foundry host that offered dynamic doc generation
beyond static html resources, but when the documentation was moved to gpars.org host, it did not have needed support hence some of our links on gpars.org no longer work.

Am hoping to do more cleanup now and possibly host these doc.s again possibly as an additional website. Domain name to be decided, but something like gpars.info
regret i cannot contribute to logic improvements beyond doc.s & maybe writing some tests.
thx, jim

Russel Winder

Jan 6, 2017, 7:56:15 AM1/6/17
to jim northrop, GPars Users, will.w...@btinternet.com
On Thu, 2017-01-05 at 12:02 -0800, 'jim northrop' via GPars Users
wrote:
> Am starting to look into preparing our GPars Website for the next
> release.
> This documentation was originally posted on a cloud foundry host
> that
> offered dynamic doc generation
> beyond static html resources, but when the documentation was moved
> gpars.org host, it did not have needed support hence some of our
> links on
> gpars.org no longer work.

I am wondering if we might reimagine the deployment process so as to
avoid replicating material in multiple repositories. Is it possible to
build and deploy the user guide, manual, and API documentation direct
from the GPars repository?

> Am hoping to do more cleanup now and possibly host these doc.s again
> possibly as an additional website. Domain name to be decided, but
> something
> like gpars.info

I think we should stick with gpars.org if we can but if the engine
being that URL is not up to the job then yes we should investigate an
alternative.

I am assuming GitHub Pages are out for the sort of dynamism envisaged.
Not to mention I am not sure GitHub Pages supports Asciidoc, and
Asciidoc is a requirement not a luxury. :-)
signature.asc

Jim Northrop

Jan 6, 2017, 11:14:59 AM1/6/17
to Russel Winder, GPars Users, will.w...@btinternet.com, Václav Pech

Thank you for your quick response and thoughts.

To my way of thinking,All work for next version of GPars takes 2nd place to ur ACCU session, so would urge you to focus on that first while i get my act together here.

At one time i was desperately hoping both you and Vaclav could put on your writing hats long enough for a book about GPars. Even did a mock-up cover here: https://github.com/GPars/Website/blob/master/src/main/resources/downloads/images/GParsInAction2.jpg

You are correct as i only have just confirmed i can build/deploy next version but no text changes yet. Unless you object i shall proceed to revise our stuff as GPars V2.0

Also forgot that i had written a pdf on how our website docs work (not the gpars codebase) and you can gain a better idea of what i was trying to do if / when you have a mo. To read this: https://github.com/GPars/Website/blob/master/src/main/webapp/WebsiteStructure/index.pdf

Your ideas re a composite repo for all non-code stuff is exactly what i tried to achieve with a single GPars/Website repo. All bits n pieces i could ever locate re GPars is in this one repo. It can be re-organised n hit from external html href links anyway so, yes we can re-imagine it as you suggest.

Must away, more news soon.
Thx, jim 😊

Sent from my iPad

jim northrop

Jan 8, 2017, 11:56:20 AM1/8/17
to GPars Users, rus...@winder.org.uk, will.w...@btinternet.com, vacla...@gmail.com
Version 2.0 looking good. Have fake placeholders for v2.0 jars, API's etc.
Testing it all this week.