GPars 2.x

Russel Winder

Jun 3, 2015, 12:27:14 PM6/3/15
to GPars Developers, GPars Users
With GPars 1.x, we used ParallelArray (extra166y) to provide data
parallelism over the Fork/Join framework. This was a good decision at
the time and remains useful for people stuck on JDK7 (*). It is though
a vastly inferior implementation system compared to Streams. So for
JDK8+, it is crucial that GPars ditched ParallelArray and realized
using Streams. This is going to mean a complete change to large amounts
of the documentation comments, lots of work :-(

A big architectural decision though: because of the way GPars created
ParallelArrays for every data parallel operation, lots of object
creation – even for in situ operations. So the API is one of not
amending the original data structure because a new one had to be made
to achieve the parallelism. Should we preserve this in the new Streams
based GPars, or should we use the original data structure directly
whenever we can (to avoid copying).

We also have to decide what to do with all the new checked exceptions.
Should GPars method simply propogate any and all of the exceptions or
should it transform them into RuntimeExceptions. I am assuming yes, but
it is worth debating this.

(*) Remember GPars requires JDK7, it doesn't work on earlier JDKs.
--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder t: +44 20 7585 2200 voip: sip:russel...@ekiga.net

jim northrop

Sep 26, 2015, 3:04:43 PM9/26/15
to GPars Users
Hi again, since i have a bit of time have completed bumping gradle&wrapper to ver.2.7; for next patch will try bumping groovy to vers.2.4.5. When that works will look at doco.s & website for issues. Prefer not to tackle logic changes till i learn more. I am no genius when it comes to parallel stuff (yet) 😍