Should we deprecate everyParallel, anyParallel on JDK8 ?

Balachandran Sivakumar

Jun 6, 2016, 9:42:35 AM6/6/16
to GPars Developers
Hi all,

    Since JDK8 Stream/ParallelStream has methods like allMatch and anyMatch, should we be deprecating everyParallel and anyParallel ? Thanks

--
Thank you,
Balachandran Sivakumar

Russel Winder

Jun 7, 2016, 7:29:44 AM6/7/16
to Balachandran Sivakumar, GPars Developers
On Mon, 2016-06-06 at 06:42 -0700, Balachandran Sivakumar wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>     Since JDK8 Stream/ParallelStream has methods like allMatch and
> anyMatch, should we be deprecating everyParallel and anyParallel ?
> Thanks

After various conversations with various people over the last few
weeks, I think yes. To provide the old ParallelArray backed GPars API
realized with Streams gives the wrong semantics to data parallelism in
GPars and fails to utilize Streams correctly. I think people should be
using Streams directly it makes no sense for GPars to have a special
API on this.

I have already removed the extra166y fork from the jdk8 branch and this
leaves a lot of GPars code and tests not compiling. I think we should
comment out rather than immediately delete any and all code that uses
ParallelArray or code that uses those features. This should give a
GPars with actors, dataflow, etc. but no data parallelism. This I think
becomes the best JDK8 complement that GPars can provide. We then go
through the commented out code seeing if any of it is worth retrieving
in some form.

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder t: +44 20 7585 2200 voip: sip:russel...@ekiga.net

Balachandran Sivakumar

Jun 7, 2016, 1:51:29 PM6/7/16
to GPars Developers, benig...@gmail.com
Hi,

On Tuesday, 7 June 2016 16:59:44 UTC+5:30, Russel Winder wrote:
On Mon, 2016-06-06 at 06:42 -0700, Balachandran Sivakumar wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>     Since JDK8 Stream/ParallelStream has methods like allMatch and
> anyMatch, should we be deprecating everyParallel and anyParallel ?
> Thanks

I have already removed the extra166y fork from the jdk8 branch and this
leaves a lot of GPars code and tests not compiling. I think we should
comment out rather than immediately delete any and all code that uses
ParallelArray or code that uses those features. This should give a
GPars with actors, dataflow, etc. but no data parallelism. This I think

    Does it make sense if we comment out the code, but modify the data parallelism test cases to use streams so that the users have some internal example of how to use streams to achieve data parallelism ? Thanks