Re: GWT Designer crashes Eclipse when i switch the editor-tab to Design...

Michael Prentice

May 3, 2013, 6:03:10 PM5/3/13
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Have you tried uninstalling them and reinstalling the GPE w/ the latest and matching GWT Designer? It looks like your install might have left stuff around or didn't fully complete.

Many people have had this kind of issue with the installer in 4.2. Most people recommend just starting with a new Eclipse install completely when you hit this, rather than trying to fix your existing install.

You may need to export/import your preferences (including external tools, run configs, debug configs, etc that you don't store in .settings) but some of that will come over if you use the same workspace.

On Thursday, May 2, 2013 4:22:49 AM UTC-4, Costis Aivalis wrote:
The GWT-Designer crashes my Eclipse completely.
This problem started, after upgrading from Ubuntu 32bit 12.10 to 32bit 13.04.
Windowbuilder plugin installs and works correctly. It designs even preciser than it did in 12.04.
The GWT plugin for Eclipse 4.2 Juno, on the other hand, installs correctly, allows generating projects with sample code, that run,
but does not allow Designer Editing. I crashes Eclipse.

Here are the error messages. A larger portion of the log file is attached.

!SESSION 2013-05-02 01:49:35.609 -----------------------------------------------
eclipse.buildId=M20130204-1200
java.version=1.7.0_17
java.vendor=Oracle Corporation
BootLoader constants: OS=linux, ARCH=x86, WS=gtk, NL=en_US
Framework arguments:  -product org.eclipse.epp.package.jee.product
Command-line arguments:  -os linux -ws gtk -arch x86 -product org.eclipse.epp.package.jee.product

!ENTRY org.eclipse.ui 4 4 2013-05-02 01:51:10.339
!MESSAGE Plug-in 'org.eclipse.jpt.jpa.ui' contributed an invalid Menu Extension (Path: 'org.eclipse.jpt.jpa.ui.menu.JpaTools' is invalid): org.eclipse.jpt.jpa.ui.generateEntities

!ENTRY org.eclipse.ui 4 4 2013-05-02 01:51:50.979
!MESSAGE Could not create action delegate for id: org.eclipse.jdt.debug.ui.actions.ManageBreakpointRulerAction

!ENTRY org.eclipse.equinox.registry 4 1 2013-05-02 01:51:50.979
!MESSAGE Plug-in org.eclipse.wb.core.java was unable to load class org.eclipse.debug.ui.actions.RulerToggleBreakpointActionDelegate.
!STACK 0
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.eclipse.debug.ui.actions.RulerToggleBreakpointActionDelegate

Costis Aivalis

May 8, 2013, 5:54:26 AM5/8/13
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Hello Michael! Thank you for your suggestions. I have done some 10 fresh installs on empty work-spaces.
There seems to be an incompatibility with xulrunner. GWT designer needs 1.9.1.x or 1.9.2.x, while these versions may be incompatible with Ubuntu 13.04.
I have Icedtea-plugin 1.3.2-1ubuntu1, installed which should include xulrunner 1.9.2.

I get this message as soon as the Designer tries to render:
"GWT Designer uses the SWT Browser widget to render the GWT UI. SWT Browser requires a compatible xulrunner version installed: it should be 1.9.1.x or 1.9.2.x version and meet the current environment architecture. See http://www.eclipse.org/swt/faq.php#whatisbrowser and related topics for more information.

Thad

May 8, 2013, 1:57:03 PM5/8/13
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, don't feel like the Lone Ranger. :)  I've had this problem on both openSUSE Linux and Windows 7. I've seen others complaining about it also.

Fortunately (I guess) I never found GWT Designer very useful for drag-and-drop GUI building. However I do miss it for quick glimpses into how my edits in the XML work. It saved time over running DevMode.

Costis Aivalis

May 8, 2013, 3:31:13 PM5/8/13
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Kimosabe! I rather feel like Tonto...
I do like the Designer, when it works, and seem to miss it. Fortunately It still works in Ubuntu 12.10 and in Windows 7. I have spent too much time trying to get it to work...

Michael Prentice

May 8, 2013, 4:21:08 PM5/8/13
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
You may be able to get some more info or help at the Eclipse WindowBuilder forums here: http://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/f/214/

Eric Clayberg is usually monitoring those forums and responding to issues. There are some posts there that mention Ubuntu.

Michael Prentice

Jul 14, 2013, 4:57:23 PM7/14/13
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
I tried this recently and I have not yet been able to get the GWT Designer to work on Ubuntu 13.04 with Eclipse 4.3 or 4.2.2. On 4.2.2, I get the same issue that you posted:

java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.eclipse.debug.ui.actions.RulerToggleBreakpointActionDelegate

On Eclipse 4.3, I get the problems detailed in this bug: https://code.google.com/p/google-plugin-for-eclipse/issues/detail?id=224

There are a number of Ubuntu related bugs posted on the GPE issue tracker (I guess since the GWT Designer issue tracker appears to be abandoned) here: https://code.google.com/p/google-plugin-for-eclipse/issues/list?can=2&q=GWT+Designer+Ubuntu&sort=-stars&colspec=ID+Type+Status+Priority+Milestone+Owner+Summary+Stars&cells=tiles

Update: Here is the fix! https://code.google.com/p/gwt-designer/issues/detail?id=4 the same guy who posted the issue has an update site which contains the fix! Gift wrapped for the GWT Designer team, but still not fixed since April!