Test hosted mode speed : GWT 2.2 vs GWT trunk 9.6.2011

maticpetek

Jun 11, 2011, 6:04:10 AM6/11/11
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Hello,
   About one month ago I stared discussion about how to speed up hosted mode ("How to speed up Hosted mode" - https://groups.google.com/d/topic/google-web-toolkit/RNZujzt_LpE/discussion). Some of suggestions were very useful for use - check story of my compiler, RPC methods without Object classes, etc. Then I watch Google IO chat with GWT team and they mantion bug push up of work on speeding up hosted mode. The result is now probably persistent unit cache is turn on by default in trunk version of GWT (http://gwt-code-reviews.appspot.com/1448801/)
   Ok, but what all this mean for our application? All values are avarage couple of measurments and I always done a small code change.

GWT 2.2 :
- run cold start : 45.9s
- run reload : 14s
- debug cold start : 54.9s
- debug reload : 14.7s

GWT trunk 9.6.2011 :
- run cold start : 25.3s (first time is left out because 'gwt-unitCache' is generated)
- run reload : 11.8s
- debug cold start : 26.8s
- debug reload : 13.3s

Conclusion : 45% faster run startup time (52% for debug mode). 16% faster reload time (10% for debug mode). Thank you GWT team & contributiors. It means a lot for us.

Regards,
   Matic
GWT stuff twitter  - http://twitter.com/#!/gwtstuff

Juan Pablo Gardella