GWT Developer Plugin no longer works with Chrome on Linux

Abel Barbosa

May 22, 2014, 6:15:10 AM5/22/14
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Hi.

I've been developing some web applications with GWT.

Yesterday I updated my Google Chrome on Linux Ubuntu and now I get the following message when trying to use Development Mode:

"Sorry, the GWT Developer Plugin no longer works with Chrome on Linux"

Is this lack of support final? The message seems to state that.

Why did this happen? Am I no longer able to use development mode on Linux (Firefox doesn't have an  GWT Developer Plugin since the 24 version - currently on version 29)?

Am I missing the obvious alternative besides using an older browser?

Thank you.

Jens

May 22, 2014, 6:52:38 AM5/22/14
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Chrome on Linux dropped NPAPI support which is needed for the GWT browser plugin, thus the plugin won't work anymore on Linux unless you use an older version of Chrome. Windows and Mac users will have the same issue in a couple of month.

Firefox 24 ESR and the non ESR version up to version 26 should work. Just make sure to disable auto update.

-- J.

google400

May 23, 2014, 5:26:43 PM5/23/14
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
So what's the solution now for GWT developers who were using chrome? How are we going to develop with chrome now?

Jens

May 23, 2014, 6:01:30 PM5/23/14
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
So what's the solution now for GWT developers who were using chrome? How are we going to develop with chrome now?

User SuperDevMode or use an older Chrome version and turn off autoupdate.

-- J.

DanielM

Jun 5, 2014, 5:35:05 PM6/5/14
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Congratulations - you are turning into Microsoft.

Robert M

Jun 10, 2014, 9:15:19 AM6/10/14
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Solution for me was,

In Eclipse, go to Create new server
Select Google > Google App Engine
Set the Server runtime environment to Google App Engine (1.9.6)
everything else was default settings and assumes you have already updated everything to the latest versions through the help menu

From here you can use the Google Dropdown to Create a new web application project as per usual process
use specific sdk App Engine (1.9.6)
hit GWT Compile on your project
then you can Right Click on your project and Run as > Web Application

should have your starter app app and running without the use of any plugins like GWT Plugin for chrome or Super Dev Mode setup

This was tested using chrome Version 35.0.1916.114
Ubuntu 14.04 kernel 3.13.0-29-generic

Eclipse Standard/SDK
Version: Kepler Service Release 2
Build id: 20140224-0627
Message has been deleted

Jens

Jun 23, 2014, 10:48:44 AM6/23/14
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Does this mean GWT itself is on its way to be dropped by Google?

No. GWT is not a real Google product anymore, it is managed by the GWT steering group. It just happens that most commits still come from Google employees.

Chrome dropped support for NPAPI plugins in general. A lot of them could be rewritten using PPAPI, however this is not possible for the GWT plugin.

-- J.