UiBinder errors not very helpful -- am i missing a compiler option?

HBA

Sep 28, 2011, 2:12:01 PM9/28/11
to Google Web Toolkit
Hi,

I'm starting a new gwt project, and I've decided to use UiBinder
instead of pure java. I'm starting to regret this decision. In fact,
I'm starting to think that maybe I should switch to pure java. But
before that, I thought I post a question and get your feedback.

In my limited experience, UiBinder is all great, until something goes
wrong. Then there is no indication of how to solve the problem. All
I get from eclipse is "Failed to create an instance of <the ui-binder
class> vai deferred binding." Followed by a null pointer stacktrace.
Not very useful. And if I want to figure out what's going on, I guess
I'll have to figure out where the compiled <ui-binder-impl.java> is
stored and scan through that...which defeats the point of having a
compiler.

Am I missing a compiler option or something that would generate better
error messages?

Thanks in advance.

Ryan Groten

Sep 28, 2011, 3:16:49 PM9/28/11
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
When I get the "failed to resolved ... via deferred binding" errors there's usually a useful error message in the output above it ("missing required attribute" or "can only have 1 child element", etc).  You don't get those types of error messages?

Brandon Donnelson

Sep 29, 2011, 12:29:15 AM9/29/11
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Here is a quick UiBinder screencast. I'm not sure I get what your doing yet.

Brandon

-sowdri-

Sep 29, 2011, 12:48:55 AM9/29/11
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
One occasion in which UiBinder errors are misleading is when you add custom xml namespace like,  xmlns:c="urn:com.google.gwt.user.cellview.client", in this case i 've actually missed xmlns:import:c, the compiler would just say it cannot find a matching element on the xml file.

A better error message could be useful!