Re: Roadmap GWT?

Matthew Dempsky

Nov 2, 2012, 1:11:09 PM11/2/12
to google-web-toolkit
On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 11:47 AM, Marcos <mus...@gmail.com> wrote:
When we have a roadmap GWT?

What do you want a roadmap for?

Joseph Lust

Nov 3, 2012, 12:01:07 PM11/3/12
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Stay tuned to the Steering Committee if you want to know where they are steering towards.

Sincerely,
Joseph

ChrLipp

Nov 5, 2012, 5:07:28 AM11/5/12
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
We are starting a new project and GWT is a possible candidate for the implementation.
So I would also be interested to see a road map. Road maps generate trust (if you see a plan for the next year ahead and if you can watch the team reaching the planned milestones in time).

I know the steering committee group, but there is no message since mid of August.
Sincerely, Christian

Ryan Shillington

Nov 5, 2012, 9:41:26 AM11/5/12
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
To be a little more blunt than Christian - I would like to see some results from the Steering committee.  I don't care about timelines as much as I care about direction.  What direction are you taking GWT for vNext?

Ryan

Thomas Broyer

Nov 5, 2012, 9:56:29 AM11/5/12

On Monday, November 5, 2012 3:41:26 PM UTC+1, Ryan Shillington wrote:
To be a little more blunt than Christian - I would like to see some results from the Steering committee.  I don't care about timelines as much as I care about direction.  What direction are you taking GWT for vNext?

The only thing that's certain for now is moving to Maven as the build system and modularization (split gwt-dev, gwt-user and gwt-servlet into smaller modules and no longer duplicate things between produced artifacts; the gwt-dev/gwt-user/gwt-servlet JARs will still be produced for those people downloading the SDK as a ZIP bundle).

Joseph Lust

Nov 8, 2012, 1:51:08 PM11/8/12
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Any chance you could post that to the Steering Committee forum?

Joe

Thomas Broyer

Nov 8, 2012, 5:06:17 PM11/8/12

On Thursday, November 8, 2012 7:51:08 PM UTC+1, Joseph Lust wrote:
Any chance you could post that to the Steering Committee forum?

Joseph Lust

Nov 8, 2012, 8:56:00 PM11/8/12
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Thomas.

My apologies, I thought that might have been newer news than July. Are the calls/meetings still regular? I had thought they were going to be Hangouts and recorded, but there is little mention of anything on the forum.

Sincerely,
Joseph

Thomas Broyer

Nov 9, 2012, 5:01:32 AM11/9/12

On Friday, November 9, 2012 2:56:00 AM UTC+1, Joseph Lust wrote:
Are the calls/meetings still regular? I had thought they were going to be Hangouts and recorded, but there is little mention of anything on the forum.

There hasn't been any other meeting. Several SC members were touring the world for conferences recently (mGWT, Vaadin and Errai).
I must confess we've exchanged a bit by mail off-list, but no decision were made, except for welcoming JetBrains as a new SC member.
I promise you we'll come back "in the open" soon, now that GWT 2.5.0 has been released, Gerrit is being setup, and I'm working hard to move to Maven and modularize.

Paul Robinson

Nov 9, 2012, 5:15:09 AM11/9/12

On 09/11/12 10:01, Thomas Broyer wrote:
> no decision were made, except for welcoming JetBrains as a new SC member.
That's a good example of something that should have been posted to the SC group.

Paul

Ryan Shillington

Nov 9, 2012, 10:31:04 AM11/9/12
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Thomas, that's a start.  I was hoping for something more than that, but I guess I'll be patient.  When is the next SC meeting / decision point?

Brian Slesinsky

Nov 9, 2012, 10:56:02 AM11/9/12
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
For the Google GWT team I can say that we plan to work on making Super Dev Mode better and on speeding up the GWT compiler. Making it easier for GWT to accept open source contributions is also a priority. As always, we work on high-priority bugs for Google teams, whatever they may be. Beyond that, planning is tentative.

Other GWT contributors can speak for themselves. The direction that GWT takes depends on what people volunteer to spend time on and whether they can get consensus that it's a good idea; for example, good Maven support would not be happening if it weren't Thomas Broyer's priority.

- Brian

Mike Brock

Nov 9, 2012, 3:22:00 PM11/9/12
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
For the record, I am still touring the world. =)

I'm speaking at the Silicon Valley JUG (http://www.meetup.com/sv-jug/events/87379262/), the Vancouver JUG two days later (http://www.vanjug.com/events/90557972/?eventId=90557972&action=detail), Beijing 5 days later, Seoul 3 days after that, and Tokyo a few days after that! =)

Daniel Kurka

Nov 9, 2012, 4:09:35 PM11/9/12
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
I also have been touring around talking about mgwt and phonegap.

You should definitely take a look at the gerrit and git setup that Matthew has already managed. I just patched a small issue using it and it works like a charm.

-Daniel