I want to learn GWT,..

mlotfi

Oct 28, 2011, 1:31:02 PM10/28/11
to Google Web Toolkit
Hi,

I am a java developer, I have done java, jsp.

Please can you direct me where should I start to learn GWT.
your help is appreciated.
thanks

Markus Zywitza

Oct 29, 2011, 2:51:54 AM10/29/11
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
I started a week ago...

http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/overview.html

is quite comprehensive. Also, I think that GWTP is quite useful as it
makes it easy to use MVP and hyperlink navigation in your project.

http://code.google.com/p/gwt-platform/wiki/GettingStarted

Then we have a lot of examples here including links to screencasts:
http://code.google.com/p/gwt-examples/

.-Markus

2011/10/28 mlotfi <mlotf...@gmail.com>

wang tiezhen

Oct 29, 2011, 5:13:08 AM10/29/11
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I think this tutorial will be very helpful.

mlotfi

Oct 29, 2011, 2:20:15 PM10/29/11
to Google Web Toolkit
Thanks lot.

On Oct 29, 5:13 am, wang tiezhen <jwz...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think this tutorial will be very helpful.http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/doc/latest/tutorial/index.html

Yaakov

Oct 30, 2011, 1:12:26 PM10/30/11
to Google Web Toolkit
Take a look at these slides. They are pretty good:
http://courses.coreservlets.com/Course-Materials/gwt.html

-Yaakov.

Ed

Oct 30, 2011, 3:04:47 PM10/30/11
to Google Web Toolkit

Brandon Donnelson

Oct 31, 2011, 10:54:03 AM10/31/11
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Here are some videos I've done to help folks get going.

Brandon Donnelson

BM

Nov 1, 2011, 3:32:32 PM11/1/11
to Google Web Toolkit
This is what I did to learn GWT.

1) Go through the slides on here: http://courses.coreservlets.com/Course-Materials/gwt.html
These slides are nice to give you little kick start. But don't doesn't
explain the newer GWT well enough.

2) Buy the Manning's GWT in Action Second Edition MEAP. This book
rocks in every way. The above slides gives you a brief overview of GWT
but it is way old. Newer GWT is all about UIBinder instead of
Procedural Java programming. You need to understand UIBinder, GWT-RPC,
MVP with Activities and Places extremely well. The first few chapters
and these three I mentioned above are very important. Knowing about
different widgets and panels can be learn as you go. But the above
three would make you very comfortable as most of the newer GWT code
are using UIBinder and Activities and Places.

Remember, there is no right way or wrong way. You can design page in
any way you want. Ultimately it all gets converted to JavaScript. It
all comes with more hands on you have better you get at it and what's
your needs are really.

3) Then go through documentation and tutorial on Google's GWT site.
http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/doc/latest/tutorial/index.html

4) You can then read the remaining chapters from the book as you start
getting comfortable like: JUnit testing, Deferred binding, Gin/Guice.
I prefer to use JUnit testing using mockito and it all depends on how
to really do code splitting. What's should be your ideal views and
what should be inside activities.

Hope that helps.

Robert Lockwood

Nov 1, 2011, 7:30:22 PM11/1/11
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
I thank you kindly, sir!

When I was 12 I thought I would live forever.
So far, so good.

mitel

Nov 14, 2011, 4:09:59 PM11/14/11
to Google Web Toolkit
good bookmark compilation here for gwt:
http://www.rushstart.net/google-web-toolkit.html

best regards

Dimitrijević Ivan

Nov 15, 2011, 7:54:35 AM11/15/11
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
GWT official page contains tutorial which is very very good for start.
My 1st steps were from there.

Good luck.