Firefox 17 dev plugin

Karl

Nov 22, 2012, 7:31:21 AM11/22/12
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
So here we go again, any idea when the dev mode plugin for firefox 17 will be available?

Juan Pablo Gardella

Nov 22, 2012, 7:32:19 AM11/22/12
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
+1

Johannes Barop

Nov 22, 2012, 7:43:05 AM11/22/12
Am 22.11.2012 um 13:31 schrieb Karl:

So here we go again, any idea when the dev mode plugin for firefox 17 will be available?

Thomas Broyer

Nov 22, 2012, 8:09:12 AM11/22/12

On Thursday, November 22, 2012 1:31:21 PM UTC+1, Karl wrote:
So here we go again, any idea when the dev mode plugin for firefox 17 will be available?

koma

Nov 26, 2012, 8:30:40 AM11/26/12
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
I can see here http://gwt-code-reviews.appspot.com/1870803/ that the plugin for FF17 Linux 64bit is ready for a couple of days; Are there any instructions availablle on how to build the plugin or is it available somewhere pre-built ? I feel kinda lucky as I am working on Ubuntu 64 bit, but it is an ambiguous feeling as I dont know how to get this running ...

Thomas Broyer

Nov 26, 2012, 9:12:56 AM11/26/12

On Monday, November 26, 2012 2:30:40 PM UTC+1, koma wrote:
I can see here http://gwt-code-reviews.appspot.com/1870803/ that the plugin for FF17 Linux 64bit is ready for a couple of days; Are there any instructions availablle on how to build the plugin or is it available somewhere pre-built ? I feel kinda lucky as I am working on Ubuntu 64 bit, but it is an ambiguous feeling as I dont know how to get this running ...

IIRC:
  1. Checkout trunk/plugins
  2. Checkout plugin-sdks/gecko-sdks/gecko-17.0.0
  3. Apply the patch to trunk/plugins
  4. cd plugins/xpcom && make BROWSER=FF170
That should update the XPI found in plugins/xpcom/prebuilt

Michael Joyner

Nov 26, 2012, 9:53:44 AM11/26/12
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Anyone willing to post this dev build? I just had my FF auto-update :(

Alain Ekambi

Nov 26, 2012, 10:07:53 AM11/26/12
to google-we...@googlegroups.com

CBBC jbbb j

On Nov 22, 2012 1:31 PM, "Karl" <karl.r...@gmail.com> wrote:
So here we go again, any idea when the dev mode plugin for firefox 17 will be available?

Thomas Broyer

Nov 26, 2012, 12:19:06 PM11/26/12

On Monday, November 26, 2012 3:54:18 PM UTC+1, Michael Joyner wrote:
Anyone willing to post this dev build? I just had my FF auto-update :(

Given that only the Linux x64 patch is ready, therefore assuming you're on Linux x64, can't you just "apt-get install firefox=16*" or equivalent?

Michael Joyner

Nov 26, 2012, 12:50:33 PM11/26/12
to google-we...@googlegroups.com

Heh... didn't think about that... its a Monday after a long weekend. :)

Daniel Kurth

Nov 26, 2012, 12:59:08 PM11/26/12
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
It would have to be packaged first. I myself am using Ubuntu 12.04 etc and unfortunately have never seen it available that way (or at least in the default packages).

Thomas Broyer

Nov 26, 2012, 1:40:06 PM11/26/12

On Monday, November 26, 2012 6:59:08 PM UTC+1, Daniel Kurth wrote:
It would have to be packaged first. I myself am using Ubuntu 12.04 etc and unfortunately have never seen it available that way (or at least in the default packages).

Daniel Kurth

Nov 26, 2012, 3:15:47 PM11/26/12
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Yep, that's the package I see available for Firefox, but I don't think it includes the google plugin. I'd be happy to be wrong on that score, but to date I've used packages (from Debian..Ubuntu) for everything except the Firefox google plugin (for which I've instead relied on the gracious efforts of people such as as yourself).

Michael Joyner

Nov 26, 2012, 4:56:25 PM11/26/12
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
I downgraded via dpkg to FF16 then marked it as stay that way in Synaptic. Luckily, the FF16 deb was still in my cache folder.

Daniel Kurth

Nov 26, 2012, 5:33:25 PM11/26/12
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Ah...thanks, I was so focused on upgrade that I missed the point that Thomas was suggesting downgrade. Downgrade it is. In my case used following to get back the earlier version of FF for now:
dpkg -i /var/cache/apt/archives/firefox_16.0.2+build1-0ubuntu0.12.04.1_amd64.deb

koma

Nov 26, 2012, 5:34:29 PM11/26/12
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
I tried to build - would be nice to master that because it will keep on happening every 6 weeks; Ubuntu updates FF even without asking and even without restarting FF;
I fiddled a bit with the Makefile to include ff170 and tried to find my way in the huge directory structure.

Finally it started to compile but no luck so far;

Missing IOOPHM.h :

koen@n53sv:~/src/gwt-plugin/plugins/xpcom$ make BROWSER=ff170 GECKO_PLATFORM=Linux_x86_64-gcc3
(cd ../common && make)
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/koen/src/gwt-plugin/plugins/common'
make[1]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/koen/src/gwt-plugin/plugins/common'
Makefile:264: Using firefox libraries at ../../../plugin-sdks/gecko-sdks/gecko-17.0.0/Linux_x86_64-gcc3/lib
[ ! -x ../../../plugin-sdks/gecko-sdks/gecko-17.0.0/bin/xpidl.py -o \( -e prebuilt/ff170/include/IOOPHM.h -a ! -w prebuilt/ff170/include/IOOPHM.h \) ] || ../../../plugin-sdks/gecko-sdks/gecko-17.0.0/bin/header.py -I../../../plugin-sdks/gecko-sdks/gecko-17.0.0/idl -o prebuilt/ff170/include/IOOPHM.h IOOPHM.idl
g++   -O2 -fPIC -I../../../plugin-sdks/gecko-sdks/gecko-17.0.0/Linux_x86_64-gcc3/include -I../../../plugin-sdks/gecko-sdks/gecko-17.0.0/include -Iprebuilt/ff170/include/ -rdynamic -m64 -DBROWSER=ff170 -DGECKO_VERSION=17000 -fshort-wchar -c -o build/Linux_x86_64-gcc3-ff170/ExternalWrapper.o -I. -I../common ExternalWrapper.cpp
In file included from ExternalWrapper.cpp:17:0:
ExternalWrapper.h:23:20: fatal error: IOOPHM.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
make: *** [build/Linux_x86_64-gcc3-ff170/ExternalWrapper.o] Error 1

Jeffrey Chimene

Nov 26, 2012, 6:07:06 PM11/26/12
On 11/26/2012 03:34 PM, koma wrote:
> I tried to build - would be nice to master that because it will keep
> on happening every 6 weeks; Ubuntu updates FF even without asking and

That may be, but you can still exert control. I don't use Ubuntu, but
since it's based on Debian, you can use apt pinning:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PinningHowto

P.S. There's probably a FF config setting you can apply to disable
auto-update, but working knowledge of pinning will serve you in good
stead for other packages.

Thomas Broyer

Nov 26, 2012, 6:53:32 PM11/26/12

On Monday, November 26, 2012 11:34:29 PM UTC+1, koma wrote:
I tried to build - would be nice to master that because it will keep on happening every 6 weeks; Ubuntu updates FF even without asking and even without restarting FF;
I fiddled a bit with the Makefile to include ff170 and tried to find my way in the huge directory structure.

Finally it started to compile but no luck so far;

Missing IOOPHM.h :

That file comes with the patch from http://gwt-code-reviews.appspot.com/1870803/

Brian Slesinsky

Nov 26, 2012, 11:07:21 PM11/26/12
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
That's due to a bug in the Makefile: it creates the IOOPHM.h file but not the directory it's in. (The build procedure for plugins is full of this sort of thing.)

But if you sync to head, you should be able to get away with just building the xpi file from the preexisting binaries, because the binary is checked in.

- Brian

Samyem Tuladhar

Nov 28, 2012, 10:57:06 AM11/28/12
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Are the windows binaries available yet for FX17?

wbabachan

Nov 29, 2012, 10:01:49 AM11/29/12
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
I have built the plugin under Fedora 17 x86 (FC17_x86) and it works fine. You can download and use it from here:

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0Bz789tz1BWLqcVNrOERSOWdLNlU

I hope it will work at least in all Linux x86 OS.

- Waruschan Babachan

Thad

Nov 29, 2012, 2:22:09 PM11/29/12
On Thursday, November 29, 2012 10:01:49 AM UTC-5, wbabachan wrote:
I have built the plugin under Fedora 17 x86 (FC17_x86) and it works fine. You can download and use it from here:

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0Bz789tz1BWLqcVNrOERSOWdLNlU

I hope it will work at least in all Linux x86 OS.

- Waruschan Babachan

Thank you. That works for me with openSUSE 12.2 32-bit and Firefox 17.0.2.

Frank Hossfeld

Nov 29, 2012, 5:04:46 PM11/29/12
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
OS X 10.8 works fine ...

Dimitrijević Ivan

Nov 30, 2012, 2:47:50 AM11/30/12
to google-we...@googlegroups.com

Karl

Nov 30, 2012, 5:21:09 AM11/30/12
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Works like a charm on linux 64-bit. Thank you!

On Friday, November 30, 2012 8:47:50 AM UTC+1, Dimitrijević Ivan wrote:
http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/source/browse/trunk/plugins/xpcom/prebuilt/gwt-dev-plugin.xpi

Thad

Nov 30, 2012, 7:56:26 AM11/30/12
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
How about Windows 7? When I try to install this, I get "This add-on could not be installed because it appears to be corrupt."

wbabachan's build also fails, but it tells me the plugin only works with Firefox 3 thru 15.

Thomas Broyer

Nov 30, 2012, 8:51:59 AM11/30/12
to google-we...@googlegroups.com

On Friday, November 30, 2012 1:56:26 PM UTC+1, Thad wrote:
How about Windows 7?

Some people here [1] say it's OK on Win7 (32 bits)

When I try to install this, I get "This add-on could not be installed because it appears to be corrupt."

Did you really download the XPI? and not the page from the SVN repo browser? (the one linked by Ivan).
See instructions from skybrian in the issue, and note that "denarced" in the issue comments tried to "install the web page", not the XPI.

Thad

Nov 30, 2012, 9:28:57 AM11/30/12

On Friday, November 30, 2012 8:51:59 AM UTC-5, Thomas Broyer wrote:

On Friday, November 30, 2012 1:56:26 PM UTC+1, Thad wrote:
How about Windows 7?

Some people here [1] say it's OK on Win7 (32 bits)

Sorry, I should have specified that this is Win7 64-bit

When I try to install this, I get "This add-on could not be installed because it appears to be corrupt."

Did you really download the XPI? and not the page from the SVN repo browser? (the one linked by Ivan).
See instructions from skybrian in the issue, and note that "denarced" in the issue comments tried to "install the web page", not the XPI.

I downloaded the XPI:  In Chrome, from http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/source/browse/trunk/plugins/xpcom/prebuilt, right click on gwt-dev-plugin.xpi, "Save link as..." to my desktop. Drag XPI onto Firefox 17: "This add-on could not be installed because it appears to be corrupt."

Rev 11397 from today, size 23,348 bytes

Thomas Broyer

Nov 30, 2012, 9:44:18 AM11/30/12

On Friday, November 30, 2012 3:28:57 PM UTC+1, Thad wrote:
I downloaded the XPI:  In Chrome, from http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/source/browse/trunk/plugins/xpcom/prebuilt, right click on gwt-dev-plugin.xpi, "Save link as..." to my desktop.

This is **not** the XPI, it's a web page!
As Brian explained in the issue tracker: follow that link, then download the target of the "view raw file" link.

Thad

Nov 30, 2012, 9:56:43 AM11/30/12
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Doh! (sheepish thanks)