WindowBuilder/GWT Designer error

Mike Dee

Aug 30, 2011, 5:35:42 PM8/30/11
to Google Web Toolkit
Something strange just started happening. I created a new GWT project
and added a couple of views to it. The views were designed using
WindowBuilder. Everything was working fine.

I then added some DTOs and implemented a couple RPC calls. All the
data objects are in a separate project (called projdata). I simply
referenced the project in the app.gwt.xml file and also referenced the
project and libraries in Eclipse's project preferences. All was still
fine. The app runs and it pulls over live data.

Now I went back to WindowBuilder to tweak the UI a bit, but design
mode doesn't work. Instead an error message appears:

Internal Error
WindowBuilder encountered unexpected internal error.
This could be caused by a WindowBuilder bug or by a misconfiguration
issue, conflict, partial update, etc.
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Path must include project and
resource name: /projdata

I notice the reference to "projdata". What does this mean?

Thanks,
Mike

Konstantin Scheglov

Aug 30, 2011, 11:14:54 PM8/30/11
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Can you send your project "projdata" directly to me, or open GWT issue and attach it?
I don't need any Java files, or database configs, etc.
Only structure on project with .project and .classpath files.

Mike Dee

Aug 31, 2011, 12:29:42 AM8/31/11
to Google Web Toolkit
Konstantin,

I sent the .project and .classpath to you directly. Any tips on how
to workaround this? I am stuck right now. Can't even create a blank
uibinder file and edit it in GWT Designer.

Thanks,
Mike

Mike Dee

Aug 31, 2011, 1:37:00 AM8/31/11
to Google Web Toolkit
Made some progress on this - by trial and error. The problem seems to
go away when the external projects are removed from Project Properties-
>Java Build Path->Projects and Project Properties->Project References.

One would think that the project would not compile by doing this.
However, it does because. In order to get the module to work with
external projects (that contain the DTOs), one has to include the JARs
of those external projects with source (this is a condition of the GWT
compiler).

So, maybe something gets confused because the external projects are
referenced twice - one via the JARs (which contain source) and the
other through the project references?

For now, this seems to be a workaround. The GWT Designer comes up in
design mode, the project compiles, and the app runs.

Konstantin Scheglov

Aug 31, 2011, 1:08:12 PM8/31/11
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Thank you, your example was helpful.
I've fixed problem in WindowBuilder trunk.

Problem is that you use old style Java project, when *.java and *.class files are directly in project folder, instead of separate "src" and "bin" folders.
So, as work around until you will have new version of WindowBuilder and GWT Designer, create these folders, move Java files and tweak .classpath file.

chris

Nov 9, 2011, 7:28:44 PM11/9/11
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Very similar to the OP, I've found myself reaching a java.lang.IllegalArgumentException within GWT Designer. Now that we started getting this error, we can't use it to open files that had previously worked, including some that were created wholly within GWT Designer. GWT Designer worked as expected until a few days ago when we changed our project hierarchy. Immediately after that change, we started getting this error:

Internal Error
   GWT Designer encountered unexpected internal error.
   This could be caused by a GWT Designer bug or by a misconfiguration issue, conflict, partial update, etc.
   java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Path must include project and resource name: /index.html

What does "/index.html" have to do with anything? I'm completely unsure how to get around this problem, and the method described in the original post doesn't help.

Thanks,
Chris

Konstantin Scheglov

Nov 10, 2011, 9:37:24 AM11/10/11
to google-we...@googlegroups.com

  I don't know without project(s) example.

chris

Nov 10, 2011, 10:00:05 AM11/10/11
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
I sent you a reply directly. I couldn't upload the files here for some reason, so they're on pastebin.

chris

Nov 10, 2011, 3:14:53 PM11/10/11
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
FYI:

I had 3 references to my index.html file throughout my entire project. 2 were in applicationContext.xml (for Spring Security), and 1 was in web.xml. Commenting out the following entry in web.xml fixed the problem:

<welcome-file-list>
    <welcome-file>/index.html</welcome-file>
</welcome-file-list>

I'm not sure why that would affect GWT Designer, but it did and that's how I got around it. Is this a bug or expected behavior?

Konstantin Scheglov

Nov 10, 2011, 3:45:58 PM11/10/11
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Yes, GWT Designer tries to get HTML file for module using two methods:

1. <welcome-file> in web.xml
2. Default HTML file, which is short module name plus ".html" extension.

I will fix this problem, GWT Designer should not throw exception.