Eclipse Plugin and SSL/TLS with the internal server

Mike

Jan 9, 2013, 9:31:20 PM1/9/13
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I enabled SSL on the internal server by using -server :ssl.  I  am able to connect to the server via https in dev mode.  I allowed the browser to accept the certificate sent.  I was expecting to see encrypted packets, but everything is in the clear.  Am I misunderstanding how the internal server is implementing SSL?

Thomas Broyer

Jan 10, 2013, 5:33:08 AM1/10/13
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
What do you mean by "everything is in the clear"? How did you look at the "packets"?

Mike

Jan 10, 2013, 10:59:47 AM1/10/13
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
I used wireshark to examine the packets.  All the packet exchanges were TCP and the payloads  were clearly readable.  There was not handshake and no encrypted packets.

Thomas Broyer

Jan 10, 2013, 11:24:27 AM1/10/13

On Thursday, January 10, 2013 4:59:47 PM UTC+1, Mike wrote:
I used wireshark to examine the packets.  All the packet exchanges were TCP and the payloads  were clearly readable.  There was not handshake and no encrypted packets.

I'd swear it worked OK for me (used tcmdump and wireshark); and if your browser tells you it's over HTTPS (even with a weak certificate), then I wouldn't contradict it.

kim young ill

Jan 10, 2013, 6:00:45 PM1/10/13
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
are u sure the wireshark catch the right channel/device ?
try with openssl to localhost to see if the connection is ssl or not

sth like:
openssl s_client -connect host:port

hth

Mike

Jan 11, 2013, 3:41:13 PM1/11/13
to google-we...@googlegroups.com, khi...@googlemail.com
Thomas and Kim,

Thanks for your thought and suggestions.  It is indeed working as designed I believe.  What confused me is I saw the ID and password in the packet flows for the Code Server.  I think that makes sense when running in dev mode.  If I examine the only the packets for the built-in server, then indeed they are encrypted.

I also validated by running against a tomcat v6 server with SSL enabled.

Again, your assistance is very much appreciated.

Mike