GWT Mobile App Widgets

AgitoM

Apr 30, 2012, 10:35:30 AM4/30/12
to Google Web Toolkit
Does anyone know a decent library that contains GWT Widgets for the
development of Mobile Apps in GWT?

Over the past few days I've been experimenting with gwt-mobile-gui.
Though this library is great, it doesn't appear to be working on all
browsers. (or at least I can't get it to work on Firefox).

So basically I am looking into other Libraries. Does anyone have any
suggestions?

Reason I am looking for a mobile widget library is because I am
developing a mobile app. I developed a framework for a mobile app
myself, and it works fine, but it looks too ugly.
If no other library is available, does anyone know any tutorial of
guide to how to develop nice looking GUI in GWT?

Hope anyone can offer some advice.

Alfredo Quiroga-Villamil

Apr 30, 2012, 10:53:13 AM4/30/12
to google-we...@googlegroups.com

Mobile web libraries are based on webkit. Firefox is not. Mobile devices use webkit. To test the app you can try to use a webkit based browser such as chrome or safari. So if you are happy with that library I recommend you continue using it and test it as previously mentioned.

Regards,

Alfredo

AgitoM

Apr 30, 2012, 2:01:27 PM4/30/12
to Google Web Toolkit
Well the app runs fine on iPhone Safari, Google Chrome, and the
Android Default Browser.
However the app does not work on Firefox and Opera installations on
the Android platform, so that could be a problem.
So still hope someone can make a suggestion.

On Apr 30, 10:53 pm, Alfredo Quiroga-Villamil <laww...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Mobile web libraries are based on webkit. Firefox is not. Mobile devices
> use webkit. To test the app you can try to use a webkit based browser such
> as chrome or safari. So if you are happy with that library I recommend you
> continue using it and test it as previously mentioned.
>
> Regards,
>
> Alfredo

emurmur

Apr 30, 2012, 2:12:23 PM4/30/12
to Google Web Toolkit
I did a little research a while back. Here are my notes;

m-gwt
http://code.google.com/p/mgwt/
Set of mobile widgets and transitions for GWT. The widgets are quite
good and work on desktop, tablet and phones. My Android 3.1 tablet
has trouble with the history, but that is a small problem. The
library is well integrated with standard GWT. It uses CSS3
transitions and animations for efficiency. It uses separate CSS files
for each browser profile, so it is easy to use the correct sizes and
transitions based on browser type. Integrates with gwt-phonegap to
create installable applications. The associated blog is also very
informative.

There is a demo site to show how mGWT performs in mobile and desktop
browsers. It is a single site that uses different CSS to display
itself for these different form factors. mGWT performs more smoothly
than GWT Mobile, but it does not have as many widgets and features.
It works well on an Android phone, Android tablet (that is
impressive) and desktop webkit browsers. It does not work at all on
IE9 (so, more work would need to be done to create a browser profile
for IE). The history management works well in both the desktop and
mobile browsers, which is a big advantage over GWT Mobile.

GWT Designer was recently updated to support mGWT, so it is well
integrated with Google’s tooling.

GWTMobile
http://code.google.com/p/gwtmobile/
GWTMobile is a framework that includes mobile UI widgets, a
persistence api and a phone-gap wrapper. The Android store has two
demo apps that can be installed.

The apps run using GWT-PhoneGap and perform pretty well on an Android
phone. I would say most of the transitions are not that good. The
mGWT transitions work much better.

There is a separate browser demo for desktop and mobile. In both
cases, the views are formatted for a phone (the desktop site runs in a
picture of a phone). The mobile demo works well on an Android phone
and feels almost identical to the demo app, except the history
management is broken. I keep hitting the back button and leaves the
demo site, which is very aggravating. Again, the transitions are
better on mGWT, but GWT Mobile has more user interface widgets.

The demo site does not run on IE.

CAVEAT: I have not used either of these libraries. I looked at their
demos on desktop and mobile browsers. I also downloaded the mobile
apps (both based on PhoneGap).

Ed

Alfredo Quiroga-Villamil

Apr 30, 2012, 2:43:04 PM4/30/12
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Yes, if you are trying to cover that case, then you must absolutely
find a mobile library that can potentially support any of the
installable browsers in mobile devices. The important case to always
keep in mind I would say is over engineering. Unless it's a
requirement from the client, I would ask myself the question, what
percentage of the market am I trying to support? Ideally the answer
would be 100%, reality it's a different story. This is more the case
since mobile web is fairly young. Even the web after all these years
would be a nightmare if you removed GWT and libraries like it that
have tried to make the developer experience better by hiding the
browser differences or better said quirks.

About a year and a half ago, perhaps more already, there was a point
where the future of mobile web for developers looked bright. It was
all going to be based on webkit or at least most of it and the world
was going to be a happy place.

Fast forward and we find a world where there is an incredible amount
of fragmentation in the mobile market place with multiple versions of
webkit, many don't exactly behaving consistently. Throw into the mix
your request and it's almost starting to feel like we are right back
to the web as we know it today where may browsers exists with
difference in behavior not only between them but even among versions.

Best of luck and wish your project the best.

Alfredo
--
Alfredo Quiroga-Villamil

AOL/Yahoo/Gmail/MSN IM:  lawwton

Daniel Kurka

Apr 30, 2012, 2:52:47 PM4/30/12
to Google Web Toolkit
if you are interested in mgwt there is a very friendly user group for
the framework: http://groups.google.com/group/mgwt

mgwt pays a lot of attention to do things in a GWT way, which brings
big advantages to mobile device development.

take a look for yourself at http://www.m-gwt.com

AgitoM

May 2, 2012, 1:03:10 AM5/2/12
to Google Web Toolkit
Thanks for all the replies so far.
The gwt-mobile-ui library I used, was part of the GWTMobile project.
It has the problem I described.

Since my project is going to be deployed in a very large group of
users, who all have different phones and browsers installed on it, I
need to make my application as widely deployable as possible. gwt-
mobile-ui unfortunately is too limited.

I hadn't see mgwt yet. Will check it out today if time allows, may
adopt is as the platform in the long run, should I choose to replace
my own mobile framework (which has is flaws such as being ugly and
requiring a lot of coding). Will probably join the user group as well.

On May 1, 2:52 am, Daniel Kurka <kurka.dan...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> if you are interested in mgwt there is a very friendly user group for
> the framework:http://groups.google.com/group/mgwt
>
> mgwt pays a lot of attention to do things in a GWT way, which brings
> big advantages to mobile device development.
>
> take a look for yourself athttp://www.m-gwt.com

AgitoM

May 2, 2012, 8:59:22 AM5/2/12
to Google Web Toolkit
Hi Daniel,

Tried the mgwt, but it seems that the framework also only support
webkit based browsers?
I got some errors when trying to run in in Firefox.
Am I correct to say that only WebKit is supported?

On May 1, 2:52 am, Daniel Kurka <kurka.dan...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> if you are interested in mgwt there is a very friendly user group for
> the framework:http://groups.google.com/group/mgwt
>
> mgwt pays a lot of attention to do things in a GWT way, which brings
> big advantages to mobile device development.
>
> take a look for yourself athttp://www.m-gwt.com

Daniel Kurka

May 29, 2012, 5:44:59 PM5/29/12
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
sorry for not picking this up on the group earlier ( we have a seperate mgwt user group)

ff is supported for dev time though

dominikz

May 30, 2012, 4:00:22 AM5/30/12
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
We're having the same problem. We're developing a system to support conferences (http://agenda.genijusz.com). Unfortunately we have the same requirement as you - to support as many phones as possible. Therefore we could not use libraries that are webkit-based. We needed to do everything by ourselves.

The downside of this approach is that the app does not look 'native'. The upside is that we're able to support all webkite-based + Opera (Desktop,Mini,Mobile) + Firefox + IE.

Was thinking about employing mgwt some time ago, but the lack of support for other than webkit-based browsers made me go away from this idea.

I know this does not help you. Just wanted to let you know that there are projects having the same problem.
Message has been deleted

maticpetek

May 30, 2012, 7:27:51 AM5/30/12
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
  We are now doing rewrite our mobile application from GWT to (jQueryMobile + operation logic in GWT + GWTQuery). I really like functionality and documentation on JQM. And also themes and transition between pages really works on Android and iOS. They have good community and useful plugins. And we don't want to deal with GUI on mobile devices.

Regards,
   Matic
GWT stuff twitter  - http://twitter.com/#!/gwtstuff