Why won't the GWT 2.1 MVP example compile?

Ingert Doe

Dec 14, 2010, 5:23:58 PM12/14/10
to Google Web Toolkit
Hello! I have just spent hours trying to get the GWT 2.1 MVP example
to compile but it just won't work. I can't for the life of me
understand what is wrong here. This is what I have done:

* I created a new GWT 2.1 project in eclipse (3.6)
* I compile the default "Hello Server" code that is generated, and it
works, no problem
* I followed the GWT 2.1 MVP tutorial and added the classes to my
project, one by one.

Now when I try to compile I get the following error output:

Compiling module org.mem.GWT21Test
Validating newly compiled units
[ERROR] Errors in 'file:/Users/ingertd/Documents/workspace/
GWT21Test/src/org/mem/client/AppActivityMapper.java'
[ERROR] Line 7: No source code is available for type
com.google.gwt.activity.shared.ActivityMapper; did you forget to
inherit a required module?
[ERROR] Line 16: No source code is available for type
com.google.gwt.activity.shared.Activity; did you forget to inherit a
required module?
[ERROR] Line 16: No source code is available for type
com.google.gwt.place.shared.Place; did you forget to inherit a
required module?
[ERROR] Errors in 'file:/Users/ingertd/Documents/workspace/
GWT21Test/src/org/mem/client/AppPlaceHistoryMapper.java'
[ERROR] Line 7: No source code is available for type
com.google.gwt.place.shared.PlaceHistoryMapper; did you forget to
inherit a required module?
[ERROR] Errors in 'file:/Users/ingertd/Documents/workspace/
GWT21Test/src/org/mem/client/ClientFactory.java'
[ERROR] Line 8: No source code is available for type
com.google.gwt.place.shared.PlaceController; did you forget to inherit
a required module?
[ERROR] Errors in 'file:/Users/ingertd/Documents/workspace/
GWT21Test/src/org/mem/client/ClientFactoryImpl.java'
[ERROR] Line 9: No source code is available for type
com.google.gwt.place.shared.PlaceController; did you forget to inherit
a required module?
[ERROR] Errors in 'file:/Users/ingertd/Documents/workspace/
GWT21Test/src/org/mem/client/GWT21Test.java'
[ERROR] Line 15: No source code is available for type
com.google.gwt.place.shared.Place; did you forget to inherit a
required module?
[ERROR] Line 21: No source code is available for type
com.google.gwt.place.shared.PlaceController; did you forget to inherit
a required module?
[ERROR] Line 24: No source code is available for type
com.google.gwt.activity.shared.ActivityMapper; did you forget to
inherit a required module?
[ERROR] Line 25: No source code is available for type
com.google.gwt.activity.shared.ActivityManager; did you forget to
inherit a required module?
[ERROR] Line 30: No source code is available for type
com.google.gwt.place.shared.PlaceHistoryHandler; did you forget to
inherit a required module?
[ERROR] Errors in 'file:/Users/ingertd/Documents/workspace/
GWT21Test/src/org/mem/client/GoodbyeActivity.java'
[ERROR] Line 8: No source code is available for type
com.google.gwt.activity.shared.AbstractActivity; did you forget to
inherit a required module?
[ERROR] Errors in 'file:/Users/ingertd/Documents/workspace/
GWT21Test/src/org/mem/client/GoodbyePlace.java'
[ERROR] Line 6: No source code is available for type
com.google.gwt.place.shared.Place; did you forget to inherit a
required module?
[ERROR] Line 17: No source code is available for type
com.google.gwt.place.shared.PlaceTokenizer<P>; did you forget to
inherit a required module?
[ERROR] Errors in 'file:/Users/ingertd/Documents/workspace/
GWT21Test/src/org/mem/client/HelloActivity.java'
[ERROR] Line 8: No source code is available for type
com.google.gwt.activity.shared.AbstractActivity; did you forget to
inherit a required module?
[ERROR] Line 26: No source code is available for type
com.google.gwt.place.shared.Place; did you forget to inherit a
required module?
[ERROR] Errors in 'file:/Users/ingertd/Documents/workspace/
GWT21Test/src/org/mem/client/HelloPlace.java'
[ERROR] Line 6: No source code is available for type
com.google.gwt.place.shared.Place; did you forget to inherit a
required module?
[ERROR] Line 17: No source code is available for type
com.google.gwt.place.shared.PlaceTokenizer<P>; did you forget to
inherit a required module?
[ERROR] Errors in 'file:/Users/ingertd/Documents/workspace/
GWT21Test/src/org/mem/client/HelloView.java'
[ERROR] Line 11: No source code is available for type
com.google.gwt.place.shared.Place; did you forget to inherit a
required module?
Finding entry point classes
[ERROR] Unable to find type 'org.mem.client.GWT21Test'
[ERROR] Hint: Previous compiler errors may have made this
type unavailable
[ERROR] Hint: Check the inheritance chain from your module;
it may not be inheriting a required module or a module may not be
adding its source path entries properly

What am I missing here?

Y2i

Dec 15, 2010, 11:16:01 AM12/15/10
to Google Web Toolkit
It looks like you didn't inherit com.google.gwt.activity.Activity
module

Ingert Doe

Dec 18, 2010, 12:33:29 PM12/18/10
to Google Web Toolkit
That's right. I forgot to add the following line to my
<appname>.gwt.xml file:

<inherits name='com.google.gwt.activity.Activity' />

objectuser

Jun 30, 2011, 9:52:40 AM6/30/11
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Is this actually in the documentation somewhere, or only in the sample?

GWT User

May 1, 2014, 1:18:33 PM5/1/14
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
This is as crazy as it could be. Why can't they add it in documentation!