google finance portfolio performance graph

Peter Nees

Jul 31, 2012, 6:33:36 AM7/31/12
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
I want to integrate the google finance portfolio performance graph into my application. I don't care whether I integrate it via HTML or in my GWT app.
I looked at several options:
  • I did not find any HTML for this graph to be able to include it as an iframe
  • I tried to embed the Flash source, but I can't get this working.
  • The Google Finance API seems to be deprecated
Any ideas?

Rob

Jul 31, 2012, 6:32:22 PM7/31/12
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
You might consider -> http://www.amcharts.com/stock/

Peter Nees

Aug 1, 2012, 2:58:55 PM8/1/12
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
That's just a chart component. I would like to use the portfolio performance calculation of Google Finance..

Rob

Aug 2, 2012, 2:35:37 AM8/2/12
to google-we...@googlegroups.com

->

....But there is one major flaw which needs to be rectified

Because your portfolio is tracked on a total value invested basis (including transaction costs etc) this means that whenever you invest more money into the portfolio you get an immediate performance uplift which is misleading.  If you have a set investment pool then this is not a problem however if you are constantly investing more money into the market (e.g. through your wage or other income sources) then the performance of your portfolio is misleading (i.e. it looks much higher than it should)

This is a relatively easy problem to fix.  All google needs to do is fix the graph so that any additions to the portfolio do not affect the indexed value of the portfolio - however they have not done this yet. Once they get this right this will be quite a useful tool for benchmarking performance.  Until they get this right however it is absolutely useless as an analytical tool.

->

Peter Nees

Aug 2, 2012, 10:42:47 AM8/2/12
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Indeed. Ideal solution is to calculate Time Weighted Return (TWR). I used therefore www.profitmapper.com, which supports TWR, I was very happy with it, but that site is not working properly anymore (for the moment?). Therefore I looked for an alternative (Google Finance), but this seems not possible to integrate. So I'm stuck :-(