DevMode not working in Chrome after update

Andy

Jul 17, 2012, 10:16:03 AM7/17/12
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
I updated Chrome this morning and now when I try to use DevMode I get an error "Could not load GWT DevMode Plugin" and an offer to Download the GWT Developer Plugin. When I try to download it (it's already installed), it says "Extensions, apps, and user scripts can only be added from the Chrome Web Store." and there's no GWT plugin in the store.

Thomas Broyer

Jul 17, 2012, 11:03:10 AM7/17/12

On Tuesday, July 17, 2012 4:16:03 PM UTC+2, Andy wrote:
I updated Chrome this morning and now when I try to use DevMode I get an error "Could not load GWT DevMode Plugin" and an offer to Download the GWT Developer Plugin. When I try to download it (it's already installed), it says "Extensions, apps, and user scripts can only be added from the Chrome Web Store." and there's no GWT plugin in the store.

I believe I already answered this question in the past couple of days but I can't find it back.

Andy

Jul 17, 2012, 2:21:36 PM7/17/12
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
I still get the error "Could not load GWT DevMode Plugin" and the normal offer to download it (even though it was and is again installed).

Thomas Broyer

Jul 17, 2012, 3:14:44 PM7/17/12

On Tuesday, July 17, 2012 8:21:36 PM UTC+2, Andy wrote:
I still get the error "Could not load GWT DevMode Plugin" and the normal offer to download it (even though it was and is again installed).

Make sure "click to play" (or some other similar configuration for plugins) is disabled.
I enabled it a while ago (it works well to disable Flash ads when browsing the web ;-) ), while I was doing Firefox-specific dev, and when I switched back to Chrome I didn't understand at first why the plugin wouldn't load: it was just blocked by the "click to play" setting.

mdwarne

Jul 25, 2012, 4:03:26 PM7/25/12
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
I am having the same issue,
I have been able to install the plugin by dragging it into the extensions window, but it still will not load
Mac Lion with latest Chrome.

Anybody figure out what is wrong yet?

Thanks,
Mike.

Andy

Jul 25, 2012, 10:28:45 PM7/25/12
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
I never figured it out. I just switched to using DevMode in Firefox (using 13.0.1 and afraid to update right now) and compiling when necessary to use Chrome.

Max Völkel

Jul 30, 2012, 6:18:46 PM7/30/12
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Chrome Canary Version 22.0.1221.0 canary on OS X Lion has the same problem. Manual install via "Drop Here" on Extension pane, but plugin wont start.

ant...@gmail.com

Aug 1, 2012, 12:47:40 PM8/1/12
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Same issue here on newest chrome, cannot install GWT Dev plugin in Win7 or Debian x64 both

Rahul

Aug 2, 2012, 9:23:33 AM8/2/12
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
+1 for the issue. Annoying.

On Thursday, August 2, 2012 9:20:45 AM UTC+2, Moshe Shaham wrote:
I have the same problem with newest chrome 21
it was not installed previously. tried to install, and doesn't let me, says i need to install from the store

Charles Odili

Aug 14, 2012, 5:45:10 AM8/14/12
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Please how exactly did you install it. Did you drag the already downloaded plugin file to the extendions page or did you drag it from the GWT dev mode page where it usually prompts for download and installation.

On Saturday, 11 August 2012 23:17:02 UTC+1, Piotr Swietoslawski wrote:
I have the same issue on OSX with Chrome 21 and Eclipse Juno. However I was able to install the plugin by drag and dropping it on Chrome's Extension page:
  • chrome://chrome/extensions/
You can also try to run Chrome with –enable-easy-off-store-extension-install flag though this is not recommended (http://peter.sh/experiments/chromium-command-line-switches/)

On Thursday, August 9, 2012 10:57:48 AM UTC-7, Jason E wrote:
Same here with "Version 21.0.1180.57" Come on, Google!

Adolfo Panizo Touzon

Aug 15, 2012, 3:52:49 AM8/15/12
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
  1. right click on the chrome icon>Properties>Shortcut
  2. add in target: --enable-easy-off-store-extension-install
  3. open chrome and navitage to extensions ( chrome://chrome/extensions/ )
  4. drag and drop on it the plugin (I've attached it)
Hope it helps.

Adolfo.

2012/8/14 Charles Odili <cha...@gmail.com>

El precio es lo que pagas. El valor es lo que recibes.
Warren Buffet
gwt-dev-plugin.crx

Richard

Sep 26, 2012, 1:56:51 AM9/26/12
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Such a pain.  Try this (it worked for me on Mac OS X)...

1)  Get an older version at
http://mac.oldapps.com/google_chrome.php
-- I chose Google Chrome 21.0.1180.89 from August 30, 2012.. the direct link is
http://mac.oldapps.com/google_chrome.php?old_chrome=1260

2)  Drop it somewhere other than your Applications folder.  Rename it to Google Chrome.older (or whatever), THEN put it into your Applications folder.  Leave the more recent Google Chrome app right were it is... it will remain the target of updates, even if your Google Chrome.older triggers an update (i.e. the ".older" version won't get overwritten).

3)  For me, that ".older" one runs the GWT DevMode Plugin just fine... just like in .older times.

4)  For kicks, it seems you can tune Google's update interval.  Here's an example where you can stop it entirely (notice the zero...)
From the command prompt:  defaults write com.google.Keystone.Agent checkInterval 0
I found that one at http://support.google.com/installer/bin/answer.py?hl=en&ctx=go&answer=147176

5)  Good luck.

Brandon Donnelson

Sep 26, 2012, 1:43:08 PM9/26/12
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Chrome won't load my GWT DevMode plugin in my chromes? Whats the deal?

How to installed on my mac...
1. Click on the gwt devmode plugin and it downloads and wants to install.
2. Goto downloads in finder and drag that file onto the chrome://extensions page and it will install.

Joseph Lust

Sep 26, 2012, 2:24:50 PM9/26/12
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Hmm, wish I could say that worked on my 2011 MacBook Pro 10.7.4 (22.0.1229.79). Followed everyone else's instructions and installed with the drag and drop method, and I can see the extension in the Tools>Extension's page, but still no love.

It is worth noting the when no GWT plugin is installed, you get the yellow box prompting to install it. However once it is installed, you get the golden bar with the warning "Could not load GWT DevMode Plugin." Seems there is an issue beyond simply installing the plugin this time. And yes, it is running against localhost, not a remote host. Odd.

I suspect they'll be dozens more posts to this effect given that Canary is now in the wild today.

Joe

Thad

Sep 26, 2012, 2:55:42 PM9/26/12
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
This morning I upgraded Chrome on openSUSE 12.2 from v19 to v22 and DevMode stopped working.

I "fixed" this by going to menu -> Settings -> Extensions and checking "Allow in incognito". I dunno what the means or why it works, but DevMode is now working. Go figure...

Brandon Donnelson

Sep 26, 2012, 8:01:34 PM9/26/12
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
The incognito trick didn't work for me on mac osx chrome...

Brandon Donnelson

Sep 26, 2012, 8:25:49 PM9/26/12
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Workaround works for me, by downloading an older version, Chrome 21 on my mac... Not ideal, but works...

1. download dmg
2. extract to desktop
3. rename to Chrome21
4. drag to applications
5. Run development mode, right click link and add browser, chrome 21...

Casey

Sep 26, 2012, 8:57:20 PM9/26/12
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
The incognito trick didn't work for me on mac osx chrome... didn't work for me either.

POODevelopper

Sep 27, 2012, 3:16:24 AM9/27/12
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Ahh I'm frustrated, Why they broke this.
I just can't live on an older version of Chrome. Even the Canary version have the same issue.

Joseph Lust

Sep 27, 2012, 9:21:56 AM9/27/12
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Confirming the incognito fix did not work for me either.

Joe

Tony Rah

Sep 27, 2012, 12:11:05 PM9/27/12
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
I +1 for Brandon's fix. All other approaches were met with failure for me and although Firefox is much faster and more stable, I just can't stomach developing on that browser anymore except during cross-browser test waves prior to checkin. I imagine the GWT team will get the plugin fixed in the next few days and the old version of Chrome in question is only about 4 weeks old so not a big deal.

chillyspoon

Oct 2, 2012, 6:36:36 AM10/2/12
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Neither trick works for me (Chrome 22 on Snow Leopard) .. infuriating. Works fine on Firefox but what's the point when you can't do cross browser testing?

Brandon Donnelson

Oct 7, 2012, 1:54:26 AM10/7/12
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Hmmm. I haven't had an auto update issue yet. Although I can only run one instance of either the older version or the newer version.

On Friday, October 5, 2012 3:53:15 PM UTC-7, Jordan S. Jones wrote:
I was using Brandon's workaround, but I didn't disable auto-updates. So when I opened up my Chrome21 to find it was now version 22, I started to look for alternatives as I didn't want to turn off auto updates for my "main" version of Chrome.

What I have found is a browser called "SRWare Iron (http://www.srware.net/en/software_srware_iron.php)" that is based on Chrome v.21. The GWT DevMode Plugin works just like it does in standard Chrome. Additionally, from what I can tell, there isn't an auto update feature.

Kyle Anderson

Oct 10, 2012, 2:39:53 AM10/10/12
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
DOESN'T WORK.  When I drag-and-drop the .crx, it installs the dev mode plugin, but when I try to use Devmode i still get prompted saying "could not load dev mode plugin.. Download the GWT Plugin, etc".

Thomas Broyer

Oct 14, 2012, 6:16:28 AM10/14/12
to google-we...@googlegroups.com, Brian Slesinsky

On Sunday, October 14, 2012 4:54:57 AM UTC+2, Max wrote:
Mac OS. Does not work. I hope somebody from Google is reading this as going back to old Chrome is not an option.

Yes, it's broken on Mac. Try downloading http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/source/browse/trunk/plugins/npapi/prebuilt/gwt-dev-plugin/Darwin-gcc3/gwtDev.plugin/Contents/MacOS/libGwtDevPlugin.dylib and replacing the file from the current released-version; I've read somewhere (in this group or on StackOverflow) that it works (I don't have a Mac, so I can't confirm).

The new version of the plugin is almost done, but AFAICT still has to be rebuilt for Windows. Then it could be uploaded to the Chrome Web Store.

arnaud lejeune

Oct 14, 2012, 3:13:02 PM10/14/12
to google-we...@googlegroups.com, Brian Slesinsky
After spending a week-end to figure out what was going on.. It worked for me ! Thanks ..