GWT Chrome dev OOPHM is Slow. What is the roadmap?

Brandon Donnelson

Sep 20, 2011, 11:09:44 AM9/20/11
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Please focus on the development plugin for Chrome. What is the future roadmap for the Chrome dev plugin?

Thanks,
Brandon Donnelson

Brandon Donnelson

Sep 20, 2011, 11:10:57 AM9/20/11
to google-we...@googlegroups.com

gwt.user

Sep 20, 2011, 11:13:29 AM9/20/11
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
I suspect this wont change anytime soon because of all the sandboxing chrome does.

Jens

Sep 20, 2011, 12:08:09 PM9/20/11
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Using the development build of Chrome (Chrome Dev Channel, currently version 15.0.874.15) I found its already a good portion faster than it was some time ago. Maybe you can try and update your version.

-- J.

Brandon Donnelson

Sep 20, 2011, 12:20:03 PM9/20/11
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for that note. I'll check that out. I also added to the issue for reference.

Brandon

Jens

Sep 20, 2011, 12:39:57 PM9/20/11
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Also if you are using Mac you can still use Safari 5.0.5 (or OmniWeb) beside Safari 5.1. Firefox 6 is also supported (search for Firefox 6 in this group and you will find an updated dev mode plugin).

Brandon Donnelson

Sep 22, 2011, 10:30:26 AM9/22/11
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
I would say the dev channel release is, "maybe slightly faster". Not even close to as fast as safari dev plugin is.

Just to make sure, I'm not talking about load time of the dev (translating). Once its up in running, its the widget init and iteration rendering that is slow in chrome compared to safar dev.

Brandon

Brandon Donnelson

Sep 22, 2011, 10:48:20 AM9/22/11
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Chrome canary is the same.

Strelok

Nov 27, 2011, 11:38:50 PM11/27/11
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Latest ChromeDev (17.0.942.0 dev-m) is unbearably slow. I've given up on Chrome now. Only Firefox is any good on Windows.

Brandon Donnelson

Nov 28, 2011, 12:53:58 AM11/28/11
to google-we...@googlegroups.com

If you haven't already starred the issue, please star it. http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/issues/detail?id=6813 They have begun working on it too. I agree Firefox is faster as of now.

On Nov 27, 2011 6:39 PM, "Strelok" <roman...@gmail.com> wrote:
Latest ChromeDev (17.0.942.0 dev-m) is unbearably slow. I've given up on Chrome now. Only Firefox is any good on Windows.

Tom Carchrae

Nov 28, 2011, 2:42:44 AM11/28/11
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
I'm curious to know why this is a priority for you?

I use Firefox for development and it's a perfectly workable solution for me.  What does Chrome give you that you need for GWT development?

Tom

Williame

Nov 28, 2011, 11:47:42 AM11/28/11
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
I am a linux dev, my ubuntu distro updates firefox along with the OS updates soon after a new firefox release.  Mozilla has adopted an aggressive release schedule and the gwt plugin for it has lagged several weeks behind.  So when a new firefox is released, i have to change from firefox dev to chrome dev until the plugin is available for firefox.  I have yet to have a google chrome version update break the gwt plugin, or ot have an updated plugin available immediately.  I can count on chrome on linux with the gwt dev plugin(YAY!!).  It's just really, really slow for non-trivial page layouts.

Otherwise, my options are run a local, older version of firefox I download and hope the latest firefox doesn't update the shared prefs/plugins breaking the older version I'm running alongside it or reboot into windows and develop there.

GWT, besides being AWESOME, is a free product so I don't have a leg to stand on to complain to Google.  But I do humbly request they get Chrome up to firefox speed in gwt dev mode.  Pretty please.

It is ironic that the gwt plugin for chrome, both Google products, is the slowest combination.

Thanks

Jeff Chimene

Nov 28, 2011, 12:05:49 PM11/28/11
On 11/28/2011 09:47 AM, Williame wrote:
> I am a linux dev, my ubuntu distro updates firefox along with the OS
> updates soon after a new firefox release. Mozilla has adopted an
> aggressive release schedule and the gwt plugin for it has lagged several
> weeks behind. So when a new firefox is released, i have to change from
> firefox dev to chrome dev until the plugin is available for firefox. I
> have yet to have a google chrome version update break the gwt plugin, or
> ot have an updated plugin available immediately. I can count on chrome
> on linux with the gwt dev plugin(YAY!!). It's just really, really slow
> for non-trivial page layouts.
>
> Otherwise, my options are run a local, older version of firefox I
> download and hope the latest firefox doesn't update the shared
> prefs/plugins breaking the older version I'm running alongside it or
> reboot into windows and develop there.

You're comfortable with installing FF locally? When installed as root,
but run as non-root, it will not automatically update the existing version.

FF can be configured to not check automatically for updates.

The GWT plugin can be installed on a non-root basis.

If the above doesn't float your boat, consider using
update-alternatives
(http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/lucid/man8/update-alternatives.8.html)
to manage two versions: latest and a lagging development version.

> GWT, besides being AWESOME, is a free product so I don't have a leg to
> stand on to complain to Google. But I do humbly request they get Chrome
> up to firefox speed in gwt dev mode. Pretty please.

There are some technical issues w/r/t to Chrome speed matching FF. There
are several threads in this group discussing the issue. The gist is that
the Chrome devs have to implement some features.

> It is ironic that the gwt plugin for chrome, both Google products, is
> the slowest combination.
>
> Thanks
>

> --
> Groups "Google Web Toolkit" group.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msg/google-web-toolkit/-/h5XPdl9EskcJ.

John Ho

Nov 28, 2011, 12:29:28 PM11/28/11
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
While I can't speak for the OP, I'll add my two cents on why it would be a major plus for our development team. We are developing an offline feature using Web SQL and the only way to test it is to go through Chrome, since Firefox does not support it.

David Vree

Nov 29, 2011, 8:48:13 AM11/29/11
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
@jchimene -- thanks for that...hugely helpful as I dev on Ubuntu and the constant Firefox updates are a pain.