GWT/GPE 2.4.0 RC1 is available

David Chandler

Jul 27, 2011, 1:55:21 PM7/27/11
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
GWT 2.4.0 adds a new DataGrid widget with scrollable data area and
many enhancements to RequestFactory (see
http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/wiki/RequestFactory_2_4).

Google Plugin for Eclipse 2.4.0 introduces a wizard to publish your
application to Google Apps Marketplace.

SDK: http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/downloads/list
Eclipse update sites: http://code.google.com/eclipse/beta/docs/download.html

gwt-2.4.0-rc1 will appear in Maven Central shortly. Docs, Javadocs,
and release notes will be published with the final release.

--
David Chandler
Developer Programs Engineer, GWT+GAE

Jeff Larsen

Jul 27, 2011, 2:13:04 PM7/27/11
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Thanks David!

One thing people should be aware of is that if you just use check for updates option in eclipse, you won't get the designer. You have to manually go back into the download site and select those options. Otherwise I have to say this is a very exciting release.

nas

Jul 28, 2011, 5:54:07 AM7/28/11
to Google Web Toolkit
A BIG thank you for this great release and the DataGrid with
scrolloable Data area, in addition to the other enhancements such as
RF;

One minor issue we have noticed with the DataGrid:
the scroll bars work fine and they respond to the browser re-sizing
and they appear as expected;
however, adding the DataGrid to SplitLayoutPanel and changing the
splitter positions does not force the grid re-size
and we have to manually change the browser size (tested on Chrome and
FF) to get the grid to render
properly and to have the scroll bars appear/disappear.

Many thanks and regards

On Jul 27, 6:55 pm, David Chandler <drfibona...@google.com> wrote:
> GWT 2.4.0 adds a new DataGrid widget with scrollable data area and
> many enhancements to RequestFactory (seehttp://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/wiki/RequestFactory_2_4).

Dani Shaulov

Jul 28, 2011, 6:33:25 AM7/28/11
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
What about the SimpleAppCacheLinker, it looks like it is still only in the samples under the mobilewebapp, will it return to it's original package?
will it return to
package com.google.gwt.core.linkerinstead of
package com.google.gwt.sample.core.linker

Kayode Odeyemi

Jul 28, 2011, 6:41:09 AM7/28/11
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Google Plugin for Eclipse 2.4.0 introduces a wizard to publish your
application to Google Apps Marketplace.

Thanks for this.

Odeyemi 'Kayode O.
http://www.sinati.com. t: @charyorde

Brandon Donnelson

Jul 28, 2011, 10:05:03 AM7/28/11
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Great job. I'm looking forward to using the new stuff!

Brandon Donnelson

Ryan McFall

Jul 28, 2011, 5:38:55 PM7/28/11
to Google Web Toolkit
I've read through the documentation on Polymorphism support in
RequestFactory, and am finding it difficult to see the big picture
based on what is written. This is what I hope it means: I have a
domain class Shape, and subclasses Circle and Square, along with their
corresponding proxies ShapeProxy, CircleProxy and SquareProxy.

I am then able to write a service method that returns a list of
ShapeProxy objects; which can either be instances of CircleProxy or
SquareProxy (and perhaps ShapeProxy if it is non abstract).

Am I understanding the intent correctly? If so, I assume ShapeProxy
extends EntityProxy, and the other proxy interfaces then extend
ShapeProxy, right?

Thanks for clarifying for me,
Ryan

On Jul 27, 1:55 pm, David Chandler <drfibona...@google.com> wrote:
> GWT 2.4.0 adds a new DataGrid widget with scrollable data area and
> many enhancements to RequestFactory (seehttp://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/wiki/RequestFactory_2_4).

Thomas Broyer

Jul 28, 2011, 7:41:00 PM7/28/11

Yes. For that, you'll have to explicitly list CircleProxy and SquareProxy in an @ExtraTypes annotation somewhere on your RequestFactory, RequestContext or proxy (directly referenced from a RequestContext or another proxy). In that case, I'd put it on ShapeProxy.

If so, I assume ShapeProxy
extends EntityProxy, and the other proxy interfaces then extend
ShapeProxy, right?

ShapeProxy could extend either EntityProxy or ValueProxy; other interfaces would have to indeed extend ShapeProxy.

Thanks for clarifying for me,

FYI, this is actually already documented in the dev guide: http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/doc/latest/DevGuideRequestFactory.html#transportable

Ryan McFall

Jul 28, 2011, 8:42:30 PM7/28/11
to Google Web Toolkit
Thanks for the clarification, Thomas.

I did read the document you are referencing (actually it's copied in
another document which was linked to by David in his original post for
this thread). It seems to me that the section on polymorphism is a
bit too focused on the details of determining when a proxy will be
generated, and not enough on the high-level issue of polymorphism as I
described in my post. Once I know that this is indeed what is being
discussed, I can see how the details on that page are relevant (the
details seem to describe the process used by the RF framework for
determining which interfaces need to have a proxy generated for
them).

Adding a use case before the technical details would make the
documentation a bit easier to understand, at least for me.

Ryan
> FYI, this is actually already documented in the dev guide:http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/doc/latest/DevGuideRequestFactory.h...

Alexander Orlov

Jul 29, 2011, 5:57:40 AM7/29/11
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
David, you've mentioned that you would also upload the requestfactory-*.jars to Maven Central. Currently I can find only the gwt-*.jars but no rf-*.jars.

I'd like to replace gwt-servlet monster JAR by rf-server+client.jars as I'm not using GWT-RPC but only the RF.

Are both, rf-server and rf-client required to replace gwt-servlet and which scope each of them should have?

-Alex

James Wendel

Jul 28, 2011, 6:40:10 PM7/28/11
to Google Web Toolkit
To ask, does the DataGrid differ from CellTable only in the content
area being scrollable? Are there are differences I'm not seeing?

Thanks,
-James

On Jul 27, 12:55 pm, David Chandler <drfibona...@google.com> wrote:
> GWT 2.4.0 adds a new DataGrid widget with scrollable data area and
> many enhancements to RequestFactory (seehttp://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/wiki/RequestFactory_2_4).

Andrei

Jul 31, 2011, 4:32:45 AM7/31/11
to Google Web Toolkit
DataGrid may have a fixed header and footer rows. In CellTable all
rows scroll together.

Lars Huber

Jul 31, 2011, 4:01:40 PM7/31/11
to Google Web Toolkit
Will it be possible to use @Category on Proxies? Is there a way to
realize additional logic for RF proxies, with @Category or another
way? Currently I super sourced some RF core classes and replaced the
generator. I'am able to use @Category as described in AutoBeans. But
this means a lot of merging work on new releases. Did I miss something
with RF too implement additional logic in RF? It wouldn't be that much
work to enable @Category for proxies in a proper manner.

Another thing are all the private methods in RF / AutoBean generators
and in Service Layer logic on server side. These private methods
forces us to copy/paste a lot of code whenever we want to extend some
logic. What's the reason for this private restriction? Why not
protected?

camerojo

Aug 1, 2011, 12:16:40 AM8/1/11
to Google Web Toolkit
Seeing that this new release involves new work in the area of cell
based widgets, it might be a great opportunity to fix a nasty keyboard
scrolling bug that I reported a few months back - see
http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/issues/detail?id=6383

I have looked at the new source code and the bug is still there. It is
an easy fix I think - which I posted with the bug report. It would be
great if we could get the fix into 2.4.0.

The bug involves scrolling up (ie back) using the keyboard (ie using
up arrow or page up keys) and occurs in any code that uses a
HasDataPresenter. This includes CellList, CellTable, and also the new
DataGrid.

See the bug report, but basically the bug involves the lack of a check
against the start row index going negative when scrolling back in
KeyboardPagingPolicy.CHANGE_PAGE mode.

This is a show stopper for my application which is close to production
release. In the absolute worst case, I will need to do a special build
of GWT in order to release my product. Obviously it would be much
preferable to get the bug fixed in 2.4.0.

On Jul 28, 3:55 am, David Chandler <drfibona...@google.com> wrote:
> GWT 2.4.0 adds a new DataGrid widget with scrollable data area and
> many enhancements to RequestFactory (seehttp://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/wiki/RequestFactory_2_4).

camerojo

Aug 1, 2011, 12:17:29 AM8/1/11
to Google Web Toolkit