SmartScreen Filter performance issue in IE8

KamBha

Aug 28, 2012, 8:13:35 PM8/28/12
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
In IE8, our GWT application seems to suffer significant slowdown when we have slow PCs and smart screen filter on.

Profiling the code, it looks like the problem is with com.google.gwt.user.client.impl.DOMImpl.setEventListener.  We are generating a very large amount of HTML when we assign do the assignment in this method, we get the slowdown (based on profiling results.

Has anyone encountered this issue and if so, how did you rectify it.

Thanks.

Kamal.

KamBha

Aug 31, 2012, 2:00:40 AM8/31/12
to google-we...@googlegroups.com

Hi,
For anyone who is interested, we got to the bottom of the problem.  It is a combination of having smart screen filter on, the afore mentioned line and having a reference like this in your CSS:-

img.iefix { behavior: url(iefix.htc); }

But missing the .htc file on the server.

When we removed this line (or ensured that the link was there) it just worked.  Not entirely sure why the setEventListenter line affects this code, I would have expected  the impact would be there with or without the line, but it is not.  IE never ceases to amaze and confound me.

Anyway, thought I would add this information in case some other unfortunate soul had the misfortune of replicating this very specific situation.

Cheers.

Kamal.