GWT for Eclipse on linux

sachin sreenivasan

Dec 6, 2011, 12:28:50 AM12/6/11
to Google Web Toolkit
Hi ppl,

I had GWT working fine on windows. then i decided to try it on
linux. I gave the command "yum install eclipse-fedorapackager" and
the eclipse got installed on Linux. But when I gave the GWT link in
the Install Software it failed saying some prerequisites were missing.
Then I noticed that there were no Java elements at all in eclipse. I
dint see options like "New Java Project" and all. Can someone please
tell me how to install those Java components after installing eclipse?
Also, is this the main problem that is preventing GWT from getting
installed? Any other things I need to do after this?

Regards,
Sachin

darrell pfeifer

Dec 6, 2011, 8:52:05 AM12/6/11
to Google Web Toolkit
Some of the Fedora folks have been making Eclipse plugins that ease
the rpm packaging for Fedora systems. There isn't much in that set of
plugins for Java.

Fedora does package other Eclipse plugins. If you do

yum list \*eclipse\*

you will see them. I think you want eclipse-jdt

While the packaging has gotten better than it used to be, I still
prefer to install directly from the source/upstream without using
rpm's. My preferred method is

1) Install java from the Oracle site
2) Install Eclipse (classic or Java) from eclipse.org
3) Install the GWT/Appengine plugins from the Google update sites
afterwards.

darrell

On Dec 5, 9:28 pm, sachin sreenivasan <sachin.sreenivasa...@gmail.com>

Derek

Dec 6, 2011, 8:55:16 AM12/6/11
to Google Web Toolkit
I always just download eclipse separately into my own home directory
and run it from its own ~/eclipse directory. Package managers never
seem to set things up the way I want them to.

I've never had any problems using GWT with Eclipse on Linux. I'm doing
it even now. :)

Derek

On Dec 6, 12:28 am, sachin sreenivasan

Lukasz Plotnicki

Dec 6, 2011, 9:45:52 AM12/6/11
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Just download and use the eclipse version from eclipse.org. I work only on linux (ubuntu) and had no problems whatsoever with eclipse and the google plugin for eclipse.