Debugging is terribly slow

Magnus

May 29, 2012, 12:29:47 PM5/29/12
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

debugging my web app is terribly slow. It's so slow that chrome keeps on opening this small window offering to kill the app.

It's a GWT app with a mysql backend...

What can I do?

Magnus

Magnus

May 29, 2012, 12:31:29 PM5/29/12
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
I forgot to say that I use eclipse as a ide.

Magnus

Juan Pablo Gardella

May 29, 2012, 12:51:26 PM5/29/12
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Use firefox

2012/5/29 Magnus <alpine...@googlemail.com>
I forgot to say that I use eclipse as a ide.

Magnus

maticpetek

May 30, 2012, 7:36:57 AM5/30/12
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
  For our project I also give up debugging with FF. The whole process - start project in Eclipse, hosted mode in FF, debug, fix code, refresh hosted mode, etc just took too much time. Now I'm testing JRebel + "System.err.println" and it really speed up development and debug time.

Regards,
   Matic
------------------
GWT stuff twitter  - http://twitter.com/#!/gwtstuff

On Tuesday, May 29, 2012 6:51:26 PM UTC+2, Juan Pablo Gardella wrote:
Use firefox

2012/5/29 Magnus <alpine...@googlemail.com>
I forgot to say that I use eclipse as a ide.

Magnus

Dimitrijević Ivan

May 30, 2012, 9:59:26 AM5/30/12
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
It is sad but FF has much better performances when GWT debugging is the subject.

I hope that GWT 2.5 will come up with SourceMaps support so debugging will not require any additional plugin. So a new FF versioning approach as well as other incompatibility issues will be solved.

Thomas Broyer

May 30, 2012, 10:50:03 AM5/30/12

On Wednesday, May 30, 2012 3:59:26 PM UTC+2, Dimitrijević Ivan wrote:
It is sad but FF has much better performances when GWT debugging is the subject.

I hope that GWT 2.5 will come up with SourceMaps support so debugging will not require any additional plugin. So a new FF versioning approach as well as other incompatibility issues will be solved.

2.5 should come with SuperDevMode, but it'll be experimental. As for SourceMaps, only Chrome supports them for the moment, so SuperDevMode won't really help with debugging in Firefox until the guys at Mozilla finish their SourceMaps work: https://wiki.mozilla.org/DevTools/Features/SourceMap
It will definitely help with debugging in Chrome though, which currently with the DevMode plugin is both slow (due to sandboxing) and broken (http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/issues/detail?id=5778#c65), as well as Chrome for Android, Mobile Safari, and UIWebView-based iOS apps (through http://www.iwebinspector.com/ or similar means).
When other browsers catch up on SourceMaps, then we can ditch the DevMode plugins entirely.

Ramon Salla

Jun 3, 2012, 6:17:09 AM6/3/12
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Quite amazing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=-xJl22Kvgjg#!

El dimecres 30 de maig de 2012 16:50:03 UTC+2, Thomas Broyer va escriure:
Message has been deleted

Magnus

Jun 19, 2012, 8:15:49 AM6/19/12
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I just posted that I still have no solution for this problem, and my post was deleted. Why?

Magnus

Tony Rah

Jun 19, 2012, 10:10:00 AM6/19/12
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Your problem was answered several times. Chrome is slow due to sandboxing. FF is your best bet for now. I would just not update FF since the plugin breaks evertime. If you are on a mac then OmniWeb is a good browser.

Magnus

Jun 19, 2012, 10:16:25 AM6/19/12
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I'm sorry, but the answers on my post do not solve the problem.

FF is a little bit faster, but serious development is definitively not possible.

Magnus

Thomas Broyer

Jun 19, 2012, 11:19:26 AM6/19/12

On Tuesday, June 19, 2012 4:16:25 PM UTC+2, Magnus wrote:
Hi,

I'm sorry, but the answers on my post do not solve the problem.

FF is a little bit faster, but serious development is definitively not possible.

Have you tried SuperDevMode? Experimental and requires a bleeding-edge GWT version, if it helps being productive then it's probably worth the try.

Have you modularized your app so you can run only a subset of it in DevMode?

Have you tried profiling DevMode and tweaking the JVM options?

It also depends what one means by "serious development". A serious developer won't refresh the browser upon changing a comma.

Magnus

Jun 20, 2012, 12:41:36 AM6/20/12

Am Dienstag, 19. Juni 2012 17:19:26 UTC+2 schrieb Thomas Broyer:

Have you tried SuperDevMode? Experimental and requires a bleeding-edge GWT version, if it helps being productive then it's probably worth the try.

Not yet. Where can I get more information on this?

Have you modularized your app so you can run only a subset of it in DevMode?

My app is modularized in packages, but I think this doesn't reduce the overhead when it is run. What level of modularization do you mean?

Have you tried profiling DevMode and tweaking the JVM options?

No! Which JVM options could I try?

It also depends what one means by "serious development". A serious developer won't refresh the browser upon changing a comma.

Well, I would define it like this: When you arrive at the breakpoint, you should still remember, what you wanted to do there! :-)

Magnus

Thomas Broyer

Jun 20, 2012, 2:46:59 AM6/20/12

On Wednesday, June 20, 2012 6:41:36 AM UTC+2, Magnus wrote:

Am Dienstag, 19. Juni 2012 17:19:26 UTC+2 schrieb Thomas Broyer:

Have you tried SuperDevMode? Experimental and requires a bleeding-edge GWT version, if it helps being productive then it's probably worth the try.

Not yet. Where can I get more information on this?

Have a look at these:

Have you modularized your app so you can run only a subset of it in DevMode?

My app is modularized in packages, but I think this doesn't reduce the overhead when it is run. What level of modularization do you mean?

I mean creating GWT modules, and a few additional modules with an EntryPoint that you can use for development. For instance, a module that only contains a handful of "screens". Make sure you really modularize your app, so that these modules have a smaller "source path" (as defined by <source path=""/> in your modules) than your full app.

Have you tried profiling DevMode and tweaking the JVM options?

No! Which JVM options could I try?

Memory options to being with.
You can use -XX:+UseCompressedOops if you're using a 64bit JVM.

Philippe Lhoste

Jun 21, 2012, 6:48:58 AM6/21/12
to Google-We...@googlegroups.com
I had the exact same issue with the 6 year old computer I had at work.
They finally gave me a shiny new modern computer with decent 4 core CPU and plenty of
memory, and the speed is now bearable.
If you can invest, or make your company to invest in a new computer, the time saved is
well worth the money spent.
Now, it took me 6 months (since I started to develop with GWT) or one year (since I
complain Eclipse is slow when we have only 2 GB and we need to run a server and a Swing
client) to get this computer... :-)

--
Philippe Lhoste
-- (near) Paris -- France