Future of CellTable

dflorey

Feb 17, 2011, 3:58:05 AM2/17/11
to google-web-tool...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
first of all congrats on the new 2.2 release!
I was wondering if it is planned to add the incubator features (column resizing by d&d, fixed headers/footer etc.) to the CellTable widget over the next releases.
I'm still waiting for a good time to get rid of the incubator and port our apps...

Daniel

John LaBanca

Feb 17, 2011, 8:24:32 AM2/17/11
to google-web-tool...@googlegroups.com, dflorey
We plan to add the following features the CellTable:
  • Fixed headers/footers with scrollable content area (hopefully for GWT 2.3)
  • Formalized inline cell editors (maybe GWT 2.3)
  • Expandable rows (really, a fully customizable table builder, probably post GWT 2.3)
After that, we haven't decided which new features to add.  Certainly there are tons of features we could add, but we'll have to weigh them against other efforts, such as general mobile support.  As far as user column resizing goes, it isn't on our agenda at the moment and is probably a lower priority than other features.

Thanks,
John LaBanca
jlab...@google.com

dflorey

Feb 18, 2011, 6:30:51 AM2/18/11
to google-web-tool...@googlegroups.com, dflorey
Thanks for the info!
I guess I'll wait until 2.3 and will start to port the TreeTable + filter stuff.
Is there a way to contribute patches since the incubator is deprecated?

Ray Ryan

Feb 18, 2011, 3:47:24 PM2/18/11
to google-web-tool...@googlegroups.com, dflorey
Do you mean patches for CellTable? It's part of GWT, so the usual way:

Adam Bender

Apr 18, 2011, 2:14:10 PM4/18/11
to Google Web Toolkit Contributors
Just wanted to see if there have been any updates regarding the
CellTable and the use of fixed headers + scrollable content areas. I
have been keeping an eye on the commit logs and havent seen anything
related to scrolling. Is this a feature that is still planned for
2.3?

Thanks,
Adam

John LaBanca

Apr 19, 2011, 12:03:21 PM4/19/11
to google-web-tool...@googlegroups.com
I'm working on it this week.  It won't be included in 2.3, but should be committed to trunk next week.

Thanks,
John LaBanca
jlab...@google.com

Jeff Larsen

Apr 19, 2011, 2:04:55 PM4/19/11
to google-web-tool...@googlegroups.com
John, can you elaborate what
  • Expandable rows (really, a fully customizable table builder, probably post GWT 2.3)
means?

I'm currently working on adding groupability to a copy of celltable and its hierarchy. Will the fully customizale table builder be the solution I'm looking for?

Adam Bender

Apr 19, 2011, 3:43:30 PM4/19/11
to Google Web Toolkit Contributors
Excellent, thanks for the update.

Adam

On Apr 19, 10:03 am, John LaBanca <jlaba...@google.com> wrote:
> I'm working on it this week.  It won't be included in 2.3, but should be
> committed to trunk next week.
>
> Thanks,
> John LaBanca
> jlaba...@google.com

John LaBanca

Apr 19, 2011, 4:39:25 PM4/19/11
to google-web-tool...@googlegroups.com
The idea with TableBuilder is that you can build a CellTable with any table structure, using row spans, column spans, and Cells wherever you want.  I haven't even started on the API, but at a high level, you will be given a row value and a TableBuilder, and you render 0 or more rows that represent the value into the TableBuilder.  In the simplest case, you render a single row with some columns, each containing one Cell that maps to a field in the row value.  However, you can do any of the following:
  • Create "expandable rows" by rendering multiple rows to represent the row value and index all but the first row
  • Insert a group header by making the first row span all columns
  • Create an error row beneath the rendered row to display an error
  • Insert multiple Cells within a column
I working on the fixed headers now, so I won't even begin work on TableBuilder until May, with a goal to finish by the end of June.

Jeff Larsen

Apr 19, 2011, 4:44:07 PM4/19/11
to google-web-tool...@googlegroups.com
Awesome. Thanks so much, sounds like I can stop development on my own custom/ugly solution.

One request if I may, allow us the ability to add events to the new rows that get added, so I could collapse/expand the group etc.

chris

May 15, 2011, 11:54:50 PM5/15/11
to Google Web Toolkit Contributors
I'm developing an expandable row for our website and it's an ugly mix
of the celltable functionality and HMTL modifications ...
I managed to make the expansion work with content showing/hiding but
the columns don't line-up properly and I can't figure out how to
display asynchronous content in the expansion ...

I hope that function will be done as planned and not delayed so I
can't replace my ugly method!
Thank you for your work anyways!!

Chris.