The Google Chart Tools team has pushed a new release candidate: December 28, 2011

Visigoth

Jan 15, 2012, 3:23:18 AM1/15/12
to google-visua...@googlegroups.com, google-chart-too...@googlegroups.com, gviz announce, gviz-users, gviz-eng, Madhu
We have pushed a new release candidate (RC).

Candidate release date: December 28, 2011

Anticipated production release date: January 17, 2012

New features and bug fixes:

  1. Changed the default of strictFirstColumnType to true. If this causes issues with your charts please refer to the help section.
  2. A new chart editor design with a revamped customize panel.
  3. TreeMap, Gauge & Table: Added clearChart method.
  4. Table: Fixed memory leak.
  5. CandlestickChart: Performance improvement in all browsers.
  6. GeoChart: Performance improvement in IE 8.
  7. SteppedAreaChart: Support combination of connectSteps and isStacked options.

If your system uses the Visualization API for commercial and / or important production purposes we recommend you test the RC and use the opportunity to provide feedback to us prior to the production release.
If there are any issues, these can be communicated back to our team by replying to this message.

Enjoy,
The Google Chart Tools team

NA

Jan 15, 2012, 9:41:43 PM1/15/12
to Google Visualization API
Hi,

Can you give more details about the Table memory leak? There's an old
thread with the subject "Memory Leak in Table Visualization
Component". Does this bug fix address that issue?

thanks, and congrats on preparing a new release!

visigoth

Jan 16, 2012, 3:19:31 AM1/16/12
to google-visua...@googlegroups.com
It should. Please let us know if you encounter any problems.

NA

Jan 16, 2012, 6:40:16 PM1/16/12
to Google Visualization API
I will, thanks!

Jeremy Davies

Jan 17, 2012, 12:40:29 PM1/17/12
to google-visua...@googlegroups.com, google-chart-too...@googlegroups.com, gviz announce, gviz-users, gviz-eng, Madhu
Hi,

Is this change still expected to be released on the 17th Jan?

I'm specifcally looking for (4) to be addressed as have noted that evey time the following is called  "visualization.draw(data, options);" the table leaks.

Cheers,

Jeremy.

visigoth

Jan 17, 2012, 1:03:10 PM1/17/12
to google-visua...@googlegroups.com, google-chart-too...@googlegroups.com, gviz announce, gviz-users, gviz-eng, Madhu
Hi Jeremy,

We will not release today (17th). If all goes well we will release tomorrow (18th).
In case of additional delays we will keep you updated.

Visigoth

NA

Jan 18, 2012, 2:43:03 PM1/18/12
to Google Visualization API
Can you update this thread when the update goes out?

thanks,

Viz Kid

Jan 18, 2012, 2:59:12 PM1/18/12
to google-visua...@googlegroups.com

The release is now out.
We hope the documentation will be updated shortly.

  Viz Kid

On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 9:43 PM, NA <nabee...@gmail.com> wrote:
Can you update this thread when the update goes out?

thanks,

NA

Jan 18, 2012, 11:47:47 PM1/18/12
to Google Visualization API
Wow! I have a report with many tables and three gauges that update
dynamically. With the new release, the page runs *much* more smoothly
than before. It's a huge difference.

I assume this is because of the memory leak fixes, but I'm not sure.
Whatever the reason, this update seems to have made a big difference
in the smoothness of my pages.

Nice :)

Peter Br.

Jan 19, 2012, 7:46:59 AM1/19/12
to google-visua...@googlegroups.com
"hasLabelsColumn" attribute is gone? What should we use instead? Setting column type is not an option for external datasources, right?

Thanks!

Jinji

Jan 19, 2012, 12:01:57 PM1/19/12
to google-visua...@googlegroups.com
'hasLabelsColumn' was used as an internal hack, but was never documented, and is not supported by the charts for several months.

For manipulating an external datasources you can use a DataView.

On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 2:46 PM, Peter Br. <pete...@yahoo.com> wrote:
"hasLabelsColumn" attribute is gone? What should we use instead? Setting column type is not an option for external datasources, right?

Thanks!

Peter Br.

Jan 20, 2012, 12:52:23 AM1/20/12
to google-visua...@googlegroups.com
I use "chart editor" to tune appearance of a chart and than use the options that I see in JSON presentation of the chart from chart editor.
What's strange, is that in chart editor there is still a check box "Use 1st column as labels" and it sets the option "hasLabelsColumn" to true.
In chart editor it is still working fine. But when I try to draw a column chart directly from code (without chart editor), option "hasLabelsColumn":true doesn't seem to work anymore. It was working until recently.

Jinji

Jan 22, 2012, 6:28:48 AM1/22/12
to google-visua...@googlegroups.com
Can you post the code that worked until recently but no longer does?

Peter Br.

Jan 23, 2012, 6:02:02 AM1/23/12
to google-visua...@googlegroups.com
I have tested Column Chart on a data table with the first column having numbers: 0,1,2,3,4,5,...

Depending on chart options "hasLabelsColumn" and  "strictFirstColumnType", I had three different results:
chart displayed with first column as labels ('+' sign - desired behaviour ),
first column displayed as data ('-' sign),
error message "Bars series with value domain axis is not supported." displayed.

I have put results in a table:

strictFCT:            true               false             not set
hasLC:
true                    error                 -                     +
false                   error                -                     +
not set                error                -                    error

As you can see, "hasLabelsColumn" now has effect again, but only when "strictFirstColumnType" is not set. And it doesn't matter if you set it to 'true' or 'false'.

Jinji

Jan 23, 2012, 7:20:33 AM1/23/12
to google-visua...@googlegroups.com
Did you use ChartWrapper, or directly instantiated a ColumnChart object?

Pyotr Bryzgalov

Jan 23, 2012, 7:42:25 AM1/23/12
to google-visua...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I used ChartWrapper.

Jinji

Jan 23, 2012, 10:34:04 AM1/23/12
to google-visua...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the feedback, we'll look into it.

In the mean while, try to change the type of the first column of the data you feed the chart editor from number to string. I'm not sure how easy or hard that would be, as it depends where you get your data from (inline in the javascript, a query to a server you own, a query to a server you don't own), which is something I don't know.

On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 2:42 PM, Pyotr Bryzgalov <pete...@yahoo.com> wrote:
Yes, I used ChartWrapper.

Jinji

Jan 24, 2012, 7:34:00 AM1/24/12
to google-visua...@googlegroups.com
Yes, this is indeed a bug in the chart editor. We'll fix it so the chart editor will emit correct output.
Thanks for reporting!

Pyotr Bryzgalov

Jan 24, 2012, 7:57:32 AM1/24/12
to google-visua...@googlegroups.com
Thank you!
About changing first column in a datatable, I cannot find a good way to do it, cause I don't know how many columns are there in the table. I use Google query with "pivot" expression, so the number of columns is variable.

Here is the code I tried, and it worked for 2-columned table, but you have to know number of columns to use such expressions:

wrapper.setView({columns: [{calc:function(data, row) { return data.getFormattedValue(row, 0) + "h"; },type:'string','label':'testcol'},1]});

Regards!

Jinji

Jan 24, 2012, 8:53:52 AM1/24/12
to google-visua...@googlegroups.com
Hmm, maybe you can avoid using the ChartWrapper to perform queries. Use the Query class directly, and call getNumberOfColumns() for the resulting DataTable.
Will that work for you?

Peter Br.

Jan 26, 2012, 12:39:48 AM1/26/12
to google-visua...@googlegroups.com
Unfortunately, I have a problem using Query class.
When I open the HTML file in a browser, all request tags are parsed using jQuery and charts are drown inside parent div tags of corresponding request tags.
The problem with using Query class is that I send a query from one function, say init(), when I parse all request tags in my HTML. But the results are parsed in another function. So when this parse function is called I don't now which query this response is corresponds to. In other words, I don't know which is the right div tag that I have to draw a chart in.

asgallant

Jan 26, 2012, 9:23:01 AM1/26/12
to google-visua...@googlegroups.com
You could get around the problem by passing the response handling function anonymously to the query: http://jsfiddle.net/BuRzK/

All the relevant variables remain in scope here for the response handler.

Peter Br.

Feb 2, 2012, 6:45:43 AM2/2/12
to google-visua...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for help!
I inserted function inside query.send() expression, and now I can change type of the first column to string. But, now this doesn't work! If I have a number in the first column, ColumnChart works fine, but if I change it to a string, I get an error: 'undefined' is not an object (evaluating 'b.count')

Here is the part of the code where I change 1st column values (it's inside anonymous function in query.send() expression):

for (i = 0; i < data.getNumberOfRows(); i++) {
data.setCell(i, 0, set_weekday(data.getValue(i,0)));
}

And here is "set_weekday" function:

function set_weekday(i) {
var d="Mon";
switch (parseInt(i)) {
                case 1: d="sun";break;
case 2: d="mon";break;
case 3: d="tue";break;
case 4: d="wed";break;
case 5: d="thu";break;
case 6: d="fri";break;
case 7: d="sat";break;
}
return d;
}

It changes week day numbers to strings.

If I display data in a Table - everything is fine.

What am I doing wrong?

asgallant

Feb 2, 2012, 10:44:58 AM2/2/12
to google-visua...@googlegroups.com
The problem (I suspect) is that the data type of column 0 is still set to 'number'; to get around this, use a DataView (with a calculated column for weekday) instead: http://jsfiddle.net/BuRzK/2/

Jinji

Feb 9, 2012, 8:03:07 AM2/9/12
to google-visua...@googlegroups.com
We pushed a bug fix and a new chart editor (note this is not related to the new release candidate). Please try again to see if the bug is fixed.