Re: Query regarding acceptance of proposal

Carol Smith

May 24, 2013, 1:15:28 PM5/24/13
to Google Summer of Code Discuss
Hi there,

On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 10:13 AM, Yash Saxena <saxena....@gmail.com> wrote:
I have submitted my proposal named A Stop on piracy [http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/proposal/review/google/gsoc2013/yash_92/1] to Nmap Security Scanner as my mentor organisation at earliest as the submission begin for the proposal at Google Summer of Code 2013. But the mentor organisation didn't contacted me regarding my proposal till now. Does this is a sign of rejection of my proposal.

This is not an indication of anything. You will find out about acceptance or rejection on Monday.

Thanks,
Carol

Sergiu Dumitriu

May 24, 2013, 1:46:17 PM5/24/13
to google-summer-...@googlegroups.com

As Carol said, in general it doesn't mean anything. It could mean your application is so good that they don't need any more details from you, or it could mean that they don't consider it worthy of attention. Ask your mentors.

However, it's the students that should be driving the communication if they really want to improve their chances. Keep in mind that most organizations receive much more applications than they can possibly mentor, so they don't have time to fully handle each application. The students that stand out through continuous communication on the organization's channels (mail, IRC, whatever) will be more easily remembered, and their proposals will receive more attention.

Also keep in mind that it's not the students that have something to offer to the organization, but the other way around: students are competing to get a chance to receive high quality mentoring from established open source communities. Most of the time, the application isn't meant to show the mentors that they need your expertise to get the project done, but to convince them that you deserve their time and effort to mentor you. Students value their coding skills much higher than they really are, and they'll learn this once they face the challenges of working on something as big as the Linux kernel, Firefox, KDE, etc. And I believe that more important than the code itself is the way the code happens, and that means a ton of practices, all depending on good communication. So showing committment and good communication will increase your chances more than you think.

But again, this isn't something true for every organization, maybe not even for the majority of them, this is just how I see it as a long-time organization administrator.

Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso

May 24, 2013, 2:01:38 PM5/24/13
On 24 May 2013 13:13, Yash Saxena <saxena....@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have submitted my proposal named A Stop on piracy
> [http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/proposal/review/google/gsoc2013/yash_92/1]
> to Nmap Security Scanner

I doubt nmap is interested in this proposal. It seems to be completely
unrelated to nmap. Unfortunately, we get many irrelevant proposals,
and it's not clear why people submit them. Perhaps you misunderstood
the nature of GSoC?

- Jordi G. H.

Carol Smith

May 24, 2013, 4:46:16 PM5/24/13
to Google Summer of Code Discuss, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Hi there,

On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 1:33 PM, Yash Saxena <saxena....@gmail.com> wrote:
On what behalf my proposal seems useless to you or to mentor named Nmap Security Scanner.
If my proposal seemed to be irrelevant or useless Thanks for your post.

I would say Gsoc is total waste of time and not worth believing and participating in it.

No faith on Google.

I'm sorry to hear you feel that way. Jordi neither works for Google nor does he represent Google in any way. I wish you the best of luck on your proposal for GSoC.

Thanks,
Carol

Praveen A

May 24, 2013, 5:12:14 PM5/24/13
2013/5/25 Yash Saxena <saxena....@gmail.com>:
> On what behalf my proposal seems useless to you or to mentor named Nmap
> Security Scanner.

Dear Yash,

nmap is a program used to test security of computer systems. You can
find out what ports are open on a system by running nmap against its
name.

I don't think stopping piracy has anything to do with their project.

> If my proposal seemed to be irrelevant or useless Thanks for your post.
>
> I would say Gsoc is total waste of time and not worth believing and
> participating in it.
>
> No faith on Google.

Google just selects the organizations who participate in Gsoc, they
don't decide which student gets selected or not, each individual
organization decides it, in your case Nmap Security Scanner.

--
പ്രവീണ്‍ അരിമ്പ്രത്തൊടിയില്‍

Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso

May 24, 2013, 5:12:58 PM5/24/13
to Yash Saxena, google-summer-...@googlegroups.com
On 24 May 2013 16:33, Yash Saxena <saxena....@gmail.com> wrote:
> On what behalf my proposal seems useless to you or to mentor named Nmap
> Security Scanner.

nmap is a program for scanning network ports of machines over the
network. Your proposal is completely unrelated to what nmap does. You
are not proposing anything about improving nmap itself. In fact, it
doesn't look like you're proposing anything about networking or
potscanning at all. Your proposal seems to be about implementing a DRM
system. While some people might be intersted in such a thing, I can't
imagine why nmap would care.

This is why I think you're confused about the nature of GSoC. When you
apply to an organisation, you are supposed to give that organisation
something that they will find relevant to what they are already doing.
At the very least, nmap will care about networking protocols, like tcp
and udp. Their ideas page is right here:

http://nmap.org/soc/

If you are able to recognise the general tone of the ideas there, do
you recognise anything related to your proposal?

- Jordi G. H.

Platonides

May 24, 2013, 7:31:41 PM5/24/13
On 24/05/13 22:33, Yash Saxena wrote:
> On what behalf my proposal seems useless to you or to mentor named Nmap
> Security Scanner.
> If my proposal seemed to be irrelevant or useless Thanks for your post.
>
> I would say Gsoc is total waste of time and not worth believing and
> participating in it.
>
> No faith on Google.

Your reply shows the long path that you still need to follow.

You are mostly dealing with volunteers. The easiest action when you say
something irrelevant or dumb is to ignore you. In this field, answers
are sometimes harsh, focusing in the technical details and little in
politeness. Jordi has been so kind to explain you your error, you have
no ground to be offended.

You have not participated in GSoC, so far you are only *attempting* to
participate. Oh, and it isn't a religion, so there's no need to believe
on it. By the way, your last sentence is quite childish.

Finally, having read your proposal at
http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/proposal/review/google/gsoc2013/yash_92/1

a) Jordi is right in that it isn't related to nmap in any way-

b) Your �Additional info� link points to an inexistent domain.

c) Even if it was on-topic for the organization your proposal is too
weak. You are giving a case for a DRM-like protection, but says nothing
on how you are attempting to solve it, much less on how you expect to do
it (how is that �hologram� made? What prevents to duplicate the
holograms? Will I need to buy a new computer to use it? ), much less how
you expect it to be completed in two months.
That description might be ok for filing a patent, but it's not ok for
what gsoc organizations would expect.

PS: Are you aware that gsoc code needs to be open source?

Sorry if this mail disappoints you. I hope it results helpful.

Sergiu Dumitriu

May 26, 2013, 9:45:07 AM5/26/13
to google-summer-...@googlegroups.com
Saying that NMAP is a good fit for your project since they're both about security is very wrong. The domain of security is so vast that 12 participating organizations tagged themselves with "security", and Crypto Stick does entirely different things than Tor, which is completely different from what NMAP. NMAP does port scanning. What does port scanning have to do with DRM? Or do you think that the "scanning" in port scanning is the same kind of scanning as how a hologram is scanned? Take a scanner and scan the back of the computer to see which ports it has...

On this line of thinking you could have applied to any other organization, since they're all about computers.

Why not the GNU Image Manipulation Program, since that hologram is an image.

Why not Iowa Flood Center, to stop the flood of pirated movies.

Why not Code for America, since it will stop the piracy of American Movies.

Why not the Centre for Computational Medicine, you could put holograms on pills and a hologram reader on the mouth, and if the pill isn't right, the mouth shuts down automatically refusing to take the pill.

And why are you so angry? It's not like being accepted in GSoC is a right. It's a hard competition, and the ones that put enough effort into connecting with the organizations, and enough details into the application to let the mentors know they really have a good understanding of the project, they might get a slot. And there aren't enough slots so even very motivated students are left out. But you bare presented a wild idea, without any technical details about HOW to implement it, and you sent it to an organization that has NOTHING to do with your idea.

And did you even read the FAQ? GSoC is about getting students in contact with open source organizations and work on the organizations' projects, not about paying students to work on their own project.

On Saturday, May 25, 2013 3:54:13 AM UTC-4, Yash Saxena wrote:
Although I tried my best with my own creative ideas to submit the proposal to mentor but it seems that didn't work and there a lot of improvement to be done to make proposal much more legible with complex detail included in it which seem to be missing from my proposal. Although it is right to admit that my proposal doesn't seem much with proper details in it with depth explaining of my project. But after reading the whole Nmap Security Scanner book thoroughly it looks a bit change in path for mentor working and dealing with core issue little different than my proposal but still my base of project lies on Security related to software and Internet which i don't think to be so much different from Nmap core issues. As, there are always new ways to go into for more development in specific field related matters considering not changing the core itself i.e. "Security" in case related to Nmap.

On Friday, May 24, 2013 10:43:33 PM UTC+5:30, Yash Saxena wrote:
I have submitted my proposal named A Stop on piracy [http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/proposal/review/google/gsoc2013/yash_92/1] to Nmap Security Scanner as my mentor organisation at earliest as the submission begin for the proposal at Google Summer of Code 2013. But the mentor organisation didn't contacted me regarding my proposal till now. Does this is a sign of rejection of my proposal.

With Warm regards
YASH SAXENA

Carol Smith

May 26, 2013, 1:13:53 PM5/26/13
to Google Summer of Code Discuss
Hi everyone,

On Sun, May 26, 2013 at 2:48 AM, Yash Saxena <saxena....@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

On being studied all the posts and Nmap guidelines much thoroughly it is bit clear that the mentor does not have to do anything with my proposal which although is based on security issue and have a lot to deal with various branches within it's core i.e "security". Although my idea is creative which deals with DRM like issues on which my mentor to which i had submitted my project doesn't work and it seems that it also do not want.

So, weather i withdraw my proposal or can i able to change my mentor now and edit my proposal to make it much in depth.

On Friday, May 24, 2013 10:43:33 PM UTC+5:30, Yash Saxena wrote:
I have submitted my proposal named A Stop on piracy [http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/proposal/review/google/gsoc2013/yash_92/1] to Nmap Security Scanner as my mentor organisation at earliest as the submission begin for the proposal at Google Summer of Code 2013. But the mentor organisation didn't contacted me regarding my proposal till now. Does this is a sign of rejection of my proposal.

With Warm regards
YASH SAXENA

Students will be announced as either accepted or rejected tomorrow. Let's please all just focus on that. Good luck to everyone!

Cheers,
Carol

Ksenija

May 27, 2013, 3:09:31 AM5/27/13
to Google Summer of Code Discuss
Sorry, but some answers to Yash seem a bit rude.

Yash, you don't need to get upset. You may try to participate next
year,
may be with some another organization. I advise you to learn about
the organization in advance so that it would be easier to write a good
proposal.

Good luck!

Best regards, Ksenija

uparacha.b...@seecs.edu.pk

Feb 13, 2018, 11:04:54 PM2/13/18
to Google Summer of Code Discuss
I do not know much about programming. I only know the basics of C programming language. Can I apply for GSOC and get selected?