Re: What organization look for to approve project idea

Carol Smith

Mar 20, 2013, 9:58:09 AM3/20/13
to Google Summer of Code Discuss
Hi there,

On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 6:53 AM, deep <me.d...@gmail.com> wrote:
Suppose I've a project idea of some product.... Now i propose the idea to the organization. My question is what those organization look for??? I guess only proposing will not be the sole criteria for approval. I want to know why some organization will approve my project??? Do i need a background???? or what????

Well, most of the organizations already have a great majority of the projects they'd like students to work on for their org on their ideas page. However, every organization makes a small allowance for "blue sky" proposals which are not on their ideas page. So if this is what you mean (a project that you would like to propose for them that is not already on their ideas page), then you're welcome to propose it to them during the application window. Their requirements for such "blue sky" proposals will vary organization to organization, so I would recommend you speak to them directly about that.

Having said all of that, might I suggest that you first keep an open mind about what you'll work on during the program, and take a look at the ideas pages for the organizations you're interested in working for first? Then you could see if maybe something that they've proposed matches up for you and you could propose that instead. :-) That's more in line with how the program is intended to function.

Cheers,
Carol

Dirk Haun

Mar 20, 2013, 10:01:33 AM3/20/13
to google-summer-...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 2:53 PM, deep <me.d...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Suppose I've a project idea of some product.... Now i propose the idea to
> the organization. My question is what those organization look for???

Well, it should be obvious that it has to fit with what the org is
doing - in terms of technology, programming language, products, and
overall goals.

Suggesting a chess game written in Java to an org that maintains a CMS
in PHP is obviously not a good fit (don't laugh, this has happened
...).

You may also want to do a quick check to see if an idea similar to
yours has been rejected in the past. Or it may already be implemented
in an optional add-on.

As usual: If in doubt, ask the org.

Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso

Mar 20, 2013, 10:03:36 AM3/20/13
On 20 March 2013 09:53, deep <me.d...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I want to know why some organization will approve my project??? Do i
> need a background???? or what????

Think of it a little like applying to a job...... You want to
demonstrate that you're the best candidate for the job..... How would
you impress a potential employer????? You would give them evidence
that you're capable..... You could show them your past work,,,,, or in
this case,,,, you could show them some partial work that you've
already started on the project.....

Getting involved with the organisation from the beginning is also a
good policy..... Start talking to the organisation and demonstrate
your abilities in another way.... Can you submit a bugfix for one of
their open bugs???? Getting a patch accepted is a great """"cover
letter""""" for the """curriculum vitae"""" that you would submit
((((some organisations welcome actual CVs,,,, but I meant this more
metaphorically,,,, as how you present yourself as candidate
employee)))).....

HTH,,,,
---- Jordi G.... H....

Joel Sherrill

Mar 20, 2013, 10:07:16 AM3/20/13
to google-summer-...@googlegroups.com
You need to find an organization that your idea would make sense and be appealing to.
You will have to pitch your idea to them.

In past years, the Google has sponsored individuals not

--joel sherrill
RTEMS