A new generation of Google MySQL tools

Ian Gulliver

Apr 1, 2011, 7:26:59 PM4/1/11
to google-my...@googlegroups.com

I'm happy to announce a new round of Google MySQL tool releases. We're just getting started, but here's what's available so far:

  • db.py: Easily execute queries in parallel on a sharded database
  • sql.py: Interactive shell to db.py
  • permissions.py: Manage MySQL permissions in a Python-based format
  • validate.py: Parse SQL using pyparsing and apply rules with live DB data

These are the actual tools being used to run MySQL at scale inside Google, not one-time sanitized copies. You can get them at http://code.google.com/p/google-mysql-tools/. The old tools and patches are still available in old/.

Thanks to the whole team for their work on these tools and especially to Razvan Musaloiu-E. for handling release code reviews. If you'll be at the 2011 MySQL conference, stop by my talk with Eric Rollins on automatic failover and Mikey Dickerson's on detecting data drift.