Using Styled Maps with TERRAIN map type?

mp-

May 30, 2010, 2:52:02 AM5/30/10
to Google Maps JavaScript API v3
I just discovered the new v3 Styled Maps functionality.

http://googlegeodevelopers.blogspot.com/2010/05/add-touch-of-style-to-your-maps.html

However, I'm confused. Can I only style the default map type (ROAD).

I'd really like to style the TERRAIN map type but am not certain how
to do so.

Sai Perchard

May 30, 2010, 6:56:24 AM5/30/10
to Google Maps JavaScript API v3
I'm encountering the same problem. Any advice would be greatly
appreciated!

On May 30, 3:52 pm, mp- <miche...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I just discovered the new v3 Styled Maps functionality.
>
> http://googlegeodevelopers.blogspot.com/2010/05/add-touch-of-style-to...
>
> However, I'm confused. Can I only style the default map type (ROAD).
>
> I'd really like to style theTERRAINmap type but am not certain how
> to do so.

Mike Swope

May 30, 2010, 3:33:29 PM5/30/10
to google-map...@googlegroups.com
I've thought about this a little, but havent looked into it. One idea, that I'm going to investigate, is to load the terrain layer, and the styled layer on top if you just want to style roads on top of the terrain layer, and make all the polygons (areas) 100% transparent, and just style the lines how you wish. Is this even doable? I've seen some sites overlay the roads layer from the imagery on top of a map layer, which is what I was going to do, but styling the roads the way I want is a thought I'm going to look into.

> to do so.

Sai Perchard

May 31, 2010, 2:47:24 AM5/31/10
to Google Maps JavaScript API v3
My aim is to remove the location names from the terrain view, so it's
just a plain terrain map without any placemarkers. Essentially I just
need to render the terrain view sans location names.

On May 31, 4:33 am, Mike Swope <msw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've thought about this a little, but havent looked into it. One idea, that
> I'm going to investigate, is to load the terrain layer, and the styled layer
> on top if you just want to style roads on top of the terrain layer, and make
> all the polygons (areas) 100% transparent, and just style the lines how you
> wish. Is this even doable? I've seen some sites overlay the roads layer from
> the imagery on top of a map layer, which is what I was going to do, but
> styling the roads the way I want is a thought I'm going to look into.
>
> On Sun, May 30, 2010 at 4:56 AM, Sai Perchard <cont...@saitech.com.au>wrote:
>

> > I'm encountering the same problem. Any advice would be greatly
> > appreciated!
>
> > On May 30, 3:52 pm, mp- <miche...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I just discovered the new v3 Styled Maps functionality.
>
> > >http://googlegeodevelopers.blogspot.com/2010/05/add-touch-of-style-to...
>
> > > However, I'm confused. Can I only style the default map type (ROAD).
>
> > > I'd really like to style theTERRAINmap type but am not certain how
> > > to do so.
>
> > --
> > .

Thor (Google Employee)

May 31, 2010, 5:02:01 AM5/31/10
to Google Maps JavaScript API v3
We don't currently support styling other map types, because we can not
recolour the base imagery right now, which for hybrid is the satellite
photos, and for terrain is the green/grey elevation map. Would it be
useful to be able to restyle the features on terrain (eg. the roads)
without styling the terrain beneath? My gut feeling is that this would
just confuse and disappoint the majority of users, who would expect
the whole map to be desaturated or colorized for example.

Many thanks,

Thor.

Sai Perchard

May 31, 2010, 10:47:52 PM5/31/10
to Google Maps JavaScript API v3
IMO it would be useful to be able to restyle the features without
necessarily restyling the underlying terrain. For example, in my case,
all I need is the base imagery, with everything else (particularly
place names) removed. I imagine this is just one example of how such a
feature may be useful.

On May 31, 6:02 pm, "Thor (Google Employee)" <thor.mitch...@gmail.com>

Jonathanccwong

Jun 4, 2010, 6:18:39 PM6/4/10
to Google Maps JavaScript API v3
I agree with Sai, I am looking into that feature too.
Even going so far as to showing an overlay bicycle layer on the
terrain map without labels.

But even then at the moment I can't get the bicycle and/or traffic
layer on a styled road map.

Jon

Adrian

Jun 3, 2010, 12:11:41 PM6/3/10
to Google Maps JavaScript API v3
IMO it would be very useful. For my application I would prefer to have
the roads but without labels on the terrain map.

On May 31, 10:02 am, "Thor (Google Employee)"

William

Jun 5, 2010, 7:36:55 PM6/5/10
On Jun 5, 8:18 am, Jonathanccwong <jonathanccw...@gmail.com> wrote:

> But even then at the moment I can't get the bicycle and/or traffic
> layer on a styled road map.

yes that seems to be a bug with the styled layer API. It's not
possible to see the traffic layer on a styled road map, but it does
work when you modify the tile url directly (in other words the server
implementation is ok, but the client javascript is at fault)

example tile: Florida

Standard Road Map
http://mt0.google.com/vt/lyrs=m@127&src=api&hl=en-GB&x=8&y=13&z=5&s=Galil

Styled Road Map
http://mt0.google.com/vt/lyrs=m@127&src=api&hl=en-GB&apistyle=p.v:off,s.t:1|p.v:on,s.t:6|p.v:on|p.s:-100|p.l:25&x=8&y=13&z=5&s=Galil

Standard Road Map with Traffic
http://mt0.google.com/vt/lyrs=m@127,traffic&hl=en-GB&x=8&y=13&z=5&s=Galil

Styled Road Map with Traffic (above url modified by adding ",traffic")
http://mt0.google.com/vt/lyrs=m@127,traffic&src=api&hl=en-GB&apistyle=p.v:off,s.t:1|p.v:on,s.t:6|p.v:on|p.s:-100|p.l:25&x=8&y=13&z=5&s=Galil

Michael Robellard

Jun 7, 2010, 3:38:21 PM6/7/10
to Google Maps JavaScript API v3
This would be a very useful feature. For the map I am trying to create
I am using the Terrain map, but I would like to remove the roads.

On May 31, 5:02 am, "Thor (Google Employee)" <thor.mitch...@gmail.com>

Jonathanccwong

Jun 7, 2010, 12:03:41 PM6/7/10
to Google Maps JavaScript API v3
Thank You William that was very helpful.

I was ripping my hair out all last week trying to figure out what went
wrong in my implementation.
Do you know if a bug report was filed for this issue?

Jon

On Jun 5, 4:36 pm, William <william.g...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jun 5, 8:18 am, Jonathanccwong <jonathanccw...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > But even then at the moment I can't get the bicycle and/or traffic
> > layer on a styled road map.
>
> yes that seems to be a bug with the styled layer API.  It's not
> possible to see the traffic layer on a styled road map, but it does
> work when you modify the tile url directly (in other words the server
> implementation is ok, but the client javascript is at fault)
>
> example tile: Florida
>
> Standard Road Maphttp://mt0.google.com/vt/lyrs=m@127&src=api&hl=en-GB&x=8&y=13&z=5&s=G...
>
> Styled Road Maphttp://mt0.google.com/vt/lyrs=m@127&src=api&hl=en-GB&apistyle=p.v:off...p.v:on,s.t:6|p.v:on|p.s:-100|p.l:25&x=8&y=13&z=5&s=Galil
>
> Standard Road Map with Traffichttp://mt0.google.com/vt/lyrs=m@127,traffic&hl=en-GB&x=8&y=13&z=5&s=G...
>
> Styled Road Map with Traffic (above url modified by adding ",traffic")http://mt0.google.com/vt/lyrs=m@127,traffic&src=api&hl=en-GB&apistyle...p.v:on,s.t:6|p.v:on|p.s:-100|p.l:25&x=8&y=13&z=5&s=Galil

William

Jun 7, 2010, 9:55:40 PM6/7/10
On Jun 8, 2:03 am, Jonathanccwong <jonathanccw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Do you know if a bug report was filed for this issue?

I was gonna last week but didn't get around to it, and looks like it
hasn't yet been filed.

Gallacci

Jun 8, 2010, 11:46:59 AM6/8/10
to Google Maps JavaScript API v3
I think it would be very useful to restyle only the features without
touching terrain/imagery. You can figure it by the demands on this
very thread. IMHO, though, the ideal solution would be to allow
restyling the underlying imagery but limited to lightness and
saturation.

Do you think it is feasible?

Sai Perchard

Jun 27, 2010, 2:58:55 AM6/27/10
to Google Maps JavaScript API v3
I have created a new issue at -

http://code.google.com/p/gmaps-api-issues/issues/detail?id=2507

On Jun 8, 11:46 am, Gallacci <galla...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think it would be very useful to restyle only the features without
> touchingterrain/imagery. You can figure it by the demands on this

Sai Perchard

Jul 1, 2010, 2:49:23 AM7/1/10
to Google Maps JavaScript API v3
Please also see an older issue that relates to the same functionality
-

http://code.google.com/p/gmaps-api-issues/issues/detail?id=182