GR's are human too...

fhdogs

Apr 20, 2012, 5:03:58 PM4/20/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
...but please read comments before making edits and reviewing!!!

I drew this building http://goo.gl/rixW3 and had some parts of the edit denied (adding the gas station name and website) so I asked if I should add another POI for the Sunoco part of this business.

Before a reply another GR changed the shape, eliminating the back of the building that was in shadow. So I requested details asking him to recheck the drawing, and next thing you know another GR approved the change. Creating half a building with an odd angel because the shape follows the pitched roof instead of the foundation.

Arrrrgggghhhhh!

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

fhdogs

Apr 20, 2012, 5:44:40 PM4/20/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Flash. I know there are issues, but I just had to get it out there.

I'm not sure what undoing the edit will do, but I'll give it a day or so before I try to revert back to at least the second version of the building.

I too have worked at a C-store/gas station. Which is why I wanted to include the Sunoco information. I'm not really upset that was removed, but I still want to know how I can have it on the maps. Do I make another POI like ATM companies do?

Some guy is going be lost in VT one day with no cash, and only a Sunoco credit card in his pocket. Low on gas... when he gets on his android phone to find the nearest station he's going to be screwed when GMaps tells him there are none in the area, but the guy looking for a Mobil will have no problems. Oh wait a second! If he's in VT he probably won't have cell coverage anyway.

(ok that was too detailed for my own head)

On Friday, April 20, 2012 5:36:12 PM UTC-4, Flash wrote:
Trying to get the follow up team to pay attention to notes and respond to comments.... Bahahaha.  Are you new here?

Oh... sorry.. you are :)

Even my guides gave up on that, after promising me that they would get things resolved.  It's an admitted issue, and one that frustrates them.  For one of my major projects that got destroyed by the follow up team, a front line GR recently noticed how bad their edits were and volunteered to work with my guide and I to fix it.  Now that she has it almost done; the follow up team has moved it to start changing her edits.

Not even the follow up team is immune from themselves; some of my edits get adjusted by them a week after I make it, then a week later a 2nd follow up adjusts the 1st, a week later a 3rd adjusts the 2nd, etc.  After about 10 cycles it looks nothing like it did when I finished with it.  Clearly the entire history is ignored, not just the notes.  It appears in their list as a recent edit, and they adjust it.

In my examples, these are major changes done within the past year or two that don't match the aerials in any way.  I am thus the only "source".  For a lot of the edits the follow up team did not return it to the aerials, so they do believe that there has been a change.  My notes will indicate they have been made from 2011 aerials that I have and GPS traces I made driving or walking the area; so I can only assume they adjust things based on how they think they would design it if they were an engineer.

An FYI - My sister used to manage a gas station.  Even in bigger cities where you see what appears to be a company owned station/convenince store, they are quite often privately owned.  It is in their contract to give the impression that they are a company store.

fhdogs

Apr 20, 2012, 6:23:59 PM4/20/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Ok this is all for me tonight... and I'll leave out details (GR names) on this, but how does one draw these two lines? Both the road and railway were added by a GR today. Is there a different satellite view I don't know about?

Sorry to rant. Time to walk away from the computer.

Gary Cox

Apr 21, 2012, 2:41:43 AM4/21/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Sometimes I'll see something drawn like that... it's usually because the user drew the segments at a high zoom level.  Now in this case it's a GR, so it might not be appropriate, but usually I'll leave a polite note suggesting that the user zoom all the way in when drawing segments/boundaries next time.

assa...@gmail.com

Apr 21, 2012, 6:44:09 AM4/21/12
to General Map Maker on behalf of Gary Cox
I always rate the edit as "should have been denied" with a comment. I don't know if it affects their trust level or something but I feel a little better.
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

From: General Map Maker on behalf of Gary Cox <google-...@googlegroups.com>
Sender: General Map Maker on behalf of Gary Cox <google-...@googlegroups.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2012 23:41:43 -0700 (PDT)
ReplyTo: General Map Maker on behalf of Gary Cox <google-...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: GR's are human too...

Thanks for using Google Map Maker! =)

Moid

Apr 23, 2012, 7:19:41 AM4/23/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

@ Mike - Sorry about that Mike. I feel your frustration there. The change made by the Google reviewer shouldn't have been approved, at least not after you provided a clarification.
We'll communicate with the reviewers about the same.

As for the gas station, the information about 'Sunoco' can be added in the description. However, please do read through this discussion on 'Secondary fuels', with separate outlets here

Thanks,
Moid

fhdogs

Apr 23, 2012, 9:13:18 AM4/23/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Moid,

I'm sorry to seem so frustrated in the post, but this always seems like the fastest way to express such issues, and also create a "paper trail" for future discrepancies.

Thanks for the link. I've also since found a discussion by Andrew that explains gas stations similarly.

-Mike

Marc-André

Apr 25, 2012, 11:21:10 PM4/25/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
I am aware that Google Reviewer are humans but ...

After several moderations in Canada and France I see it often applies the same message which is, in my opinion, not very motivating!
It offers better solutions than ever to reverse the change in progress ...

I mean, a good Google Reviewer should propose solutions more motivating!

In short, we must do a few things ... Several new user in Canada and in France droppedGMM, due to this problem.