How do you turn off "snap" feature when drawing shapes?

Josh Manchester

Apr 7, 2012, 10:30:30 AM4/7/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
This is becoming very annoying.  When I draw buildings using the shape tool I like everything to be square so I hold down "shift" to make right angles and straight lines.  But when I get to the opposite side of the building the tool wants to "snap" to the starting point making it so I can't use the "shift" function to draw straight lines.  Is there a way to turn off this "snap" feature for drawing shapes?

Rahim

Apr 19, 2012, 5:59:35 AM4/19/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com

Hi Josh,

Sorry, if this has inconvenienced you.

I’m unable to reproduce it here. Could you please post back with the screenshot so that we can investigate this issue better?

Thanks,
~Rahim

Josh Manchester

Apr 19, 2012, 8:28:20 AM4/19/12
to General Map Maker on behalf of Rahim

This is easy to reproduce.  Just draw a square building.  Start that the top left corner, mark the point.  Go to the top right corner, mark the point.  Go down to the bottom right corner, hold shift to make it a right angle, mark the point.  And finally, go to the bottom left corner, hold shift to make a right angle and observes the line that comes down from the top left corner.

That is the “Snap” feature I’m talking about.  That is what is making it so I can’t use the tool to make nice corners when drawing a building because it forces the marked point to be at the intersection of the first marked point and the last.

In the picture you can see what I’m talking about, it’s circled in red.  When those two guide lines pop up, it will only allow the mark to be placed at the intersection of those two lines.

Thanks for using Google Map Maker! =)

Untitled.jpg

Rahim

Apr 26, 2012, 5:40:37 AM4/26/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com

Thanks for clarifying this. It’s reproducible, my bad. I see that once the guide lines appear, the line does get extended to the point of intersection of the line from the first point.

However, if you want to draw a perpendicular line without the auto-snap, I’d suggest you to create a feature enhancement request on Issue Tracker and get it starred from co-mappers.

~Rahim

duckman

Apr 26, 2012, 9:16:07 AM4/26/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
When I click, it does not 'complete the box', it only places the point and you can continue.  If it completes the box for you, try using shift only as a guide and release shift before clicking to create the point...