Poll: What Issue Do You Want Fixed The Most In Map Maker?

blissfulight

Dec 31, 2011, 11:19:59 AM12/31/11
to google-...@googlegroups.com
It's pretty simple (and keep it simple, please), vote for the issue (singular, not plural) that you urgently want MM to address/fix (think of it as Map Maker New Year's Resolution List):

Categories.

Craig Hartel

Dec 31, 2011, 2:46:18 PM12/31/11
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Categories.

zxrayz

Dec 31, 2011, 3:27:10 PM12/31/11
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Fix ALL 'Rendering Errors'

(Only 1 item! Ah, a top 3 or 10 item list maybe...  I agree that categories is a BIG one too, but if items don't display on the map the way they are supposed to, all of it makes no difference.)

Jaxcoffee

Dec 31, 2011, 3:53:59 PM12/31/11
to google-...@googlegroups.com
The inability for anyone to change business information on an edit or listing page that is not a verified owner, or is authorized by the owner to make changes

karlcr9911

Dec 31, 2011, 4:18:50 PM12/31/11
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Sort options in the left panel allowing for better reviewing capabilities, follow-up, editing, etc.

Funkytoad

Dec 31, 2011, 4:57:29 PM12/31/11
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Categories, please.

Willy Hrachovina

Dec 31, 2011, 5:11:52 PM12/31/11
to google-...@googlegroups.com
The bugged edit in Northern Virginia locking up U.S. 29/U.S. 50.

Ryan Rosser

Dec 31, 2011, 8:37:39 PM12/31/11
to google-...@googlegroups.com
"Cannot Merge Batch Edits"

Charlie L

Dec 31, 2011, 11:53:24 PM12/31/11
to google-...@googlegroups.com
When naming a feature, I would like to see all languages in ISO 639-3:2007 as a choice instead of just the top 100 or so languages.

Srini vas

Jan 1, 2012, 5:41:14 AM1/1/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Improper State/Province location(s). Eg: A State from India shown in Africa, Permalink

Saikrishna Arcot

Jan 1, 2012, 8:57:44 AM1/1/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Rendering Errors.

CalEdits

Jan 1, 2012, 11:01:16 AM1/1/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Starting about one month ago, features that were approved and published will not display on Google Maps.

Alan Browne

Jan 1, 2012, 12:23:48 PM1/1/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
When initiating a new feature (such as a trail), the attributes of the trail should be collected first before 'drawing' is started.

Serge

Jan 2, 2012, 3:07:16 AM1/2/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Duplicates!

Mr-G

Jan 2, 2012, 5:30:48 AM1/2/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Issue 151.

Tim

Jan 2, 2012, 12:36:12 PM1/2/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Definitely rendering errors, I recently drew a national highway, and it refused to render. Without a map, what do we have?

Mihai Dumitru

Jan 3, 2012, 6:31:36 AM1/3/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Rendering, if it's to chose only one.

G10

Jan 3, 2012, 6:58:28 AM1/3/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com

- deltafox -

Jan 3, 2012, 8:47:17 PM1/3/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
There are many bugs to solve, and many user interface items to improve to let us save time, but first in my wish list would be that when MapMaker says it does somethings, it should really do that... that is not the case, and it is even more frustrating that ordinary bugs that let show you what the problem is.

One example that comes to my mind is editing a whole road with multiples values of 'direction' or 'elevation', you would think that after you set a value for these attributes it be the same for the whole road, but most of the times it is not ! It does change but only for the segment you have selected ! This is a major failure in terms of quality of the maps.

R01k

Jan 4, 2012, 5:12:24 PM1/4/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
For people like me who use Google Navigation very often, it is really important to have the turn time restrictions for the intersections that have them. When Google Navigation indicates you to make a turn when it is not allowed it could cause a huge problem.

That's why it would be useful to be able to enter that info through GMM.

Issue 1810: Turn Restrictions - Time restraints: http://goo.gl/35omj

djboge

Jan 5, 2012, 7:44:55 PM1/5/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
The bugged edit in Northern Virginia locking up U.S. 29/U.S. 50.

x2! :)

Chris

Jan 7, 2012, 7:46:34 PM1/7/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
The ability to group a collection of edits and submit them for review all at once.

rakslice

Jan 7, 2012, 11:21:38 PM1/7/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
More generally, a pending edit on a small segment of a road shouldn't prevent edits on other segments of the road that are miles away.

Игл

Jan 8, 2012, 8:22:17 PM1/8/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Fix Road Network Has Bad Feature error:

Failed to create feature
Bad data (Road Network Has Bad Feature) has been found in this area. Please report this error with a link to this page. This road segment has badly formatted restrictions, please report this error with a link to this page
Please correct errors and submit again or cancel
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Saikrishna Arcot

Jan 8, 2012, 9:00:09 PM1/8/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
I think you missed the part "issue (singular, not plural)" in the opening post.

Борис

Jan 9, 2012, 6:24:20 PM1/9/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
The option to "subscribe" to a feature. Something like a check-box "Notify me when changes to this feature are made".

Mike

Jan 9, 2012, 11:21:04 PM1/9/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Like my friend said "The Fact that anyone can change business information on an edit or listing page that is not a verified owner, or is authorized by the owner to make changes"

Ryan Rosser

Jan 10, 2012, 2:56:33 AM1/10/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, that's right. I think it would be neat if Places updates went through the same reviewing process that Map Maker updates did. Like, someone changes the address in Places, it appears as a pending edit on Map Maker.

James Tantalo

Jan 10, 2012, 5:31:18 PM1/10/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Batch edits that will let us edit entire road systems, intersections, and other features without having to wait for approval of each segment. Some of the roads and paths in my area area tangled spaghetti mess of poorly-drawn roads. Correcting them is time-consuming only because I have to do them all at once. A reviewer can just as easily approve or deny a road system as they can a road segment.

Also, while we're on the subject, import and export of vector data in SVG or some other open format. It would be brilliant to be able to bring sections of the map into a more powerful illustration program like Adobe Illustrator, then import those changes back to the map. Yeah, that's right, I asked for two things.

Cédric Tremblay

Jan 12, 2012, 8:28:53 AM1/12/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
I've had annoyances with working hours, particularly when a place is opened on different time intervals on different days.
The hours are grouped in a strange way.

Charlie L

Jan 12, 2012, 11:52:31 AM1/12/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Another helpful feature would be the ability to toggle on and off pedestrian walk areas, just as one currently can with bicycle areas.

Ashu Seo

Jan 16, 2012, 12:46:58 PM1/16/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
can any body change or edit my business listing?

Nuclear Moose

Jan 16, 2012, 5:27:33 PM1/16/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Wrong place to post your question - please use the forum here.

tonip1

Jan 17, 2012, 9:02:00 AM1/17/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
When I look for directions using public transportation I usually get directions which say walk to Louis Stokes Rapid Station. The map says it should take about 16 minutes. 16 minutes is a long time to walk to get to public transportation if you live in a city the size of Cleveland. (It's actually more like 1/2 hour btw).  I never walk to this rapid station. It's not only not close but it's also mainly back streets. There is a bus which is closer to where I live.  I wish public transit directions were more accurate.

Nuclear Moose

Jan 17, 2012, 1:04:38 PM1/17/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Tonip1,
I suggest that you contact your city transit service and let them know about this - they may have errors in the information that they send to Google. Also, it may be that there are some attribute issues on the roads in your area. Perhaps certain roads are incorrectly attributed and the navigation algorithm is trying to find what it thinks is the best route. It can't make a human judgement about the quality of the route it suggests; it's up to people to ensure that the roads are correctly located and attributed so that these kind of mistakes become a rare event.

Craig Peterson

Jan 17, 2012, 7:50:19 PM1/17/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Selecting several nodes in a polygon/road and moving them all together as one unit.

eskaysingh

Jan 19, 2012, 11:56:53 PM1/19/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
I think modifying categories from just plain vanilla flat single layer list to a hierarchical (2 - 3 layer) tree should be a priority as of now,  +1 for Nuclear Moose.

CNR

Jan 20, 2012, 5:46:53 AM1/20/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
I also vote for resolving the Category issue by providing the categories list to  hierarchical (2 - 3 layer) tree (like Grand parent - Parent and Child in a family tree).
That will solve a considerable amount of problems of mappers

Peter2012

Jan 22, 2012, 3:23:32 PM1/22/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Searching results in Ireland,sometimes shows other countries, not Ireland. Would be great if that were fixed somehow.

Nolan Crees

Jan 22, 2012, 7:51:26 PM1/22/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Being able to make more than one edit before needing a review. It takes several days to change weird intersections and sometimes we don't have the power to do something (or I just can't find how to) like disconnect a road from an intersection

Jody Benedict

Jan 23, 2012, 7:25:52 PM1/23/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
1. Categories

2. If all medical professionals are allowed to have their own point on the map there should be a general category for medical professionals. I can't make someone a pharmacist but I have parking lots full of pharmacists and eye doctors, etc. all stacked up on each other. I think it's a little weird to have every doctor in a practice have their own point instead of just having the practice marked.

I know we were only supposed to pick one but I tied #2 to categories. That's my excuse.

Andrew Sawyer

Jan 26, 2012, 1:04:58 AM1/26/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Issue 105: Users should not be able to hide by not creating a profile - ie no phantom edits from Google Maps. I can live with a hyperlink to "Anonymous," at least I can view the edits. I don't really have to know their name to see what kind of edits they've done, but it would be nice!

Jan 26, 2012, 10:18:07 AM1/26/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
The completely out-of-control bots. The Cleaner and Anonymous come to mind.

siva n

Jan 26, 2012, 10:40:23 AM1/26/12
to General Map Maker on behalf of K
Rendering & Panning.

On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 8:48 PM, General Map Maker on behalf of K <google-...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
The completely out-of-control bots. The Cleaner and Anonymous come to mind.

- To post a public reply in this same thread:

- To post a note to the group on a *different* General Map Maker topic:
Visit http://goo.gl/DeX9Z and click on "New topic"
or
E-mail google-...@googlegroups.com

- To unsubscribe from this list:
Send email to
google-mapmak...@googlegroups.com

- To see additional useful options:
Visit http://goo.gl/GDnr and click on "Membership."

Thanks for using Google Map Maker! :-)

--
With regards,
Siva

GoldenRetriever23

Jan 27, 2012, 8:26:14 PM1/27/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Hi, it would be REALLY great if you can somehow change your name from anonymous to another name-such as "GoldenRetriever23," for example.

Damián

Jan 28, 2012, 2:16:41 PM1/28/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
In Argentina the maps are not updated at all.
I come to google MM to update roads and areas but.. these has been updated in MM!
What are you waiting for, Google?
Grettings

Devin Wells

Jan 29, 2012, 2:00:52 PM1/29/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Polygon size limit. I was try to map my neighborhood and someone who has only made one edit mapped a huge polygon over northern Illinois, now I can't work until it is removed. I also noticed several big polygons around the world that are random. I think polygons over a certain size should be approved by Google staff. And not bother us local users.

GMapper

Jan 29, 2012, 4:01:07 PM1/29/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
I would like to be able to split a road into two segments without needing to add (and then delete) temporary stub road segments.   This would be something similar to OSM's capability to select a node along a road and then click on their "scissor" icon....and then there are 2 segments.    Very useful for making edits applicable to a small portion of a longer road.

Nickvet419

Feb 7, 2012, 1:55:41 PM2/7/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Owner verified listings should not be able to be marked as duplicates.

vandelay

Feb 11, 2012, 2:08:21 PM2/11/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
It would be great if there was a way to merge two closely spaced intersection points into one so that maps can be corrected without having to delete and draw new segments (lengthy review process) or to place intersection points absurdly close to each other (error-prone mapping).  An example would be that you have a drop-down choice from the intersection edit that allows you to pick "combine with nearest intersection", and then a new single intersection point is created from the average coordinates of those two intersection points, with all connections to adjacent intersections still intact.

vandelay

Feb 11, 2012, 2:12:06 PM2/11/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Also, please, a rewrite of the instructions posted at http://support.google.com/mapmaker/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1208728.  They are incorrect in stating that a roundabout is the same as a traffic circle, and it doesn't make sense to try to draw them the same way.  More explanation (and counter-criticism) can be found on this thread: https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!topic/google-mapmaker/ru3jgbl0A8w.

Nuclear Moose

Feb 13, 2012, 4:29:43 PM2/13/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
I have eliminated intersections that are close together - edit one and drag/drop it on top of the other. Sometimes Map Maker goes insane but often it simply makes one intersection and a small segment is eliminated.

Now I have to go find an example and make sure that I'm not mistaken! :^)

Geoffrey Perez

Feb 13, 2012, 4:32:14 PM2/13/12
to General Map Maker on behalf of Nuclear Moose
Ooh, that actually works? I'd like to see a video of that in action!

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 1:29 PM, General Map Maker on behalf of Nuclear Moose <google-...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
I have eliminated intersections that are close together - edit one and drag/drop it on top of the other. Sometimes Map Maker goes insane but often it simply makes one intersection and a small segment is eliminated.

Now I have to go find an example and make sure that I'm not mistaken! :^)

Nuclear Moose

Feb 13, 2012, 4:44:31 PM2/13/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
I will try to capture this tonight - it's currently Monday, Feb 13, 2012 1440hrs MST so it will be later on when I try this.

Aaron Sentell

Feb 16, 2012, 2:26:24 PM2/16/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
I just wish that the edits that were made in map maker would show up in Google places, after they are approved. Sometimes I wonder why I enter all of these business hours... they never show up on Google Maps or in the Places app for Android.

Willy Hrachovina

Feb 16, 2012, 2:29:26 PM2/16/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Some of the businesses you are editing might be owner-verified, and thus the owner must approve the changes in order for them to be displayed. If they are not owner-verified, then it is likely due to some delays in updates moving from Map Maker to Maps.
Message has been deleted

Aaron Sentell

Feb 17, 2012, 12:11:48 PM2/17/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
I wish I could say this was the problem, but the reason that I have been editing them is BECAUSE they are not owner-verified.  The businesses that are not owner verified are often misplaced and do not contain any information other than the address and phone number, before editing.  Things like business hours and payment methods, as far as I can see, never make it into Google Maps or Google Places (the app), after they are approved.

Madelyn

Feb 19, 2012, 11:08:23 AM2/19/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
That an owner can edit "At a Glance"

BearRyan

Feb 22, 2012, 5:47:00 PM2/22/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
All data added to show in maps and places

Jon Peterson

Feb 28, 2012, 6:28:43 PM2/28/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Video Rental Kiosk as a Primary category. There are so many of the redbox and blockbuster express machines going up that it needs to be a primary category. Within 3 miles of my house there are at least 15 of these. They are at every Walmart, Walgreens and most major grocery stores.

John

Feb 29, 2012, 10:03:07 AM2/29/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Bugfix for "smarter" display of names under the category "Bicycle Route:"

-In Map view, if a Bicycle Route runs concurrently with another name that is "Primary" or "Local" on a road on which traffic is allowed, NEVER display the Bicycle Route name.
-In ALL views, if the ONLY name of a segment is a Bicycle Route name, ALWAYS display it.
-In ALL views, for Trail/Path segments and roads on which no auto traffic is allowed, ALWAYS display Bicycle Route names.
-In Bicycling view and Navigation Bicycle and Pedestrian directions, ALWAYS display Bicycle Route names.
-In Navigation, for automobile and transit directions, do NOT display Bicycle Route names.

People are complaining about the funky way they are currently displayed, in some cases confusing business customers.  Bicycle Route names are great for cyclists and pedestrians, but do NOT help motorists and transit riders.  Please fix this before people begin to delete them, erasing hundreds of miles, and many months, of work in adding them.

Ian70

Feb 29, 2012, 2:55:25 PM2/29/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
I'm going to vote for an improvement in feature Labels on the map. Even though the editing of features in MM works overall very well, I can never predict how a feature's associated label will appear. Labels sometimes don't move with feature edits. Sometimes they won't disappear after a feature deletion. Sometimes they change icon, or change location, or even appear on top of each other. I can't even predict if they will appear on a newly created feature, or where.

I hesitate to ask for control in placement of these labels in relation to the features or POIs, but that might be a good idea.

Charlie L

Mar 2, 2012, 11:42:39 AM3/2/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Disappearing nodes.

I have noticed that there are several boundary shapes I have either created or adjusted, and then later, some of the nodes disappear, making the shape of the boundary no longer accurately representing the boundary. Some, I have caught and have gone back in and added in those missing nodes; others, I have not and then I get a review asking me why I had changed the boundary for the worse.

Alberto Sanchez

Terry Cameron

Mar 9, 2012, 4:52:43 PM3/9/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Routing update speed. What good are changes if they don't take effect where you need them the most.

AVT INC

Mar 17, 2012, 6:40:34 PM3/17/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
AVT is the Future of Vending. AVT designs and manufactures solutions for retailers to provide the consumer with what they want, went they want it.

Please LIKE this page: http://www.facebook.com/AVTInc

And Follow on twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/AVTIncCA

Thanks

Shaun Sweeney

Mar 18, 2012, 5:54:08 AM3/18/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com

Rendering Errors

AVT INC

Mar 18, 2012, 5:44:19 PM3/18/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com

fhdogs

Mar 18, 2012, 7:25:07 PM3/18/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
I want my edits and reviews to save the first time I try. I am not mapping any more because it takes so many tries to get anything to save.

Flash

Mar 18, 2012, 8:21:43 PM3/18/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
fhdogs - I have no issues with saving as long as I use the buttons in the left sidebar, and not those in the pop-up over the POI.  Can you if that this is perhaps when you are having the issue?

If not, can you give details about your OS, browser and version, etc?

fhdogs

Mar 18, 2012, 10:33:20 PM3/18/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Hey Flash, I can't imagine anyone else is having this problem, but it just started out of the blue and I don't get it.

I have two machines I've used GMM on. Both are OS X 10.7.2 I generally use Safari 5.1.2. On the machine I use the most I have had the same problem in Firefox and Chrome. I don't have those versions, but at least the chrome is very current (downloaded within the last week).

I really think this is some kind of permissions problem, or something corrupt in the DB related to my account. I don't know if any of that is possible, but it's what I have to guess. Knowing that the conference is just around the corner I was hoping somebody could see it happening there, and be able to confirm all of this.

Maybe my other option is to create another account to map with and see what happens.

fhdogs

Mar 18, 2012, 11:16:41 PM3/18/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com

Jai

Mar 26, 2012, 9:42:07 AM3/26/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com

Hi all,

When imagery is updated and the roads get misaligned. It’s frustrating and time consuming to align each and every small segment.

I know we can report the issue and ask for the imagery alignment, but this will not solve the problem as users add new roads after the imagery updates which are aligned and many users align few segments leaving the others as it was.

Please check the link below for example.

http://goo.gl/EDWG4

A new tool is required, which enables editing of multiple intersections at once, may be one can select a specific region and can align all the intersections at once (ofcourse manually) this will save lot of time and proper rendering of roads and navigation on maps.

Have created an issue regarding the same, star the issue and your comments would be appreciated !

http://code.google.com/p/google-mapmaker/issues/detail?id=2606

Thank you.

Jai

blissfulight

Apr 1, 2012, 8:04:47 PM4/1/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
So, uh, four months, and nothing about categories?  I appreciate the UI changes with the most recent update.  That must've taken a lot of work, trying to figure out where the buttons should be moved, instead of focusing on less important issues, like categories, or duplicates, or...  May as well delay categories for another year, because in the meantime, GMM has to focus on making some more drastic cosmetic changes that consist of rearranging the buttons or dropdown menus.  Deep stuff.

zxrayz

Apr 2, 2012, 1:28:35 AM4/2/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
What? Did you miss the updates to the categories. Someone at Google has been working on the categories......  DELETING More of Them !   :(

Categories & Rendering Errors the two biggest problem.... followed by Duplicate bugs, Land over water, Bots, etc...

I agree the UI update is nice, but there are some serious problems that need to be addressed.

I think the category mess has gone on so long and so many items have been added with the current crazy categories that fixing it is going to be a big headache. No one on the google end really wants to talk about it, other than to say they understand; but most on the google end are not really free to comment on the problem either.  Now categories come and go over night. Major needed categories (Bus Stop, Fire Station, etc... ) are nowhere to be found, and the number of useless categories is mind numbing.

You would think rendering errors would be a fairly easy thing to fix. Have pending edits in a separate database that is not merged into the final data for complete display until approved. (Somehow that does not appear to be the case, because if a user tries to delete something and it is denied - the item still disappears for the map.) Set a complete rendering time for an area and hold all items in the area that are created or published during the full re-rendering, and merge the new data after the render update or something. I know that is probably way over simplified, but....  Google is not saying why there are major rendering errors, just that it is going to take time - apparently a lot of time.

blissfulight

Apr 2, 2012, 7:54:21 AM4/2/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
The preceding post was completely sarcastic.

blissfulight

Apr 2, 2012, 6:50:17 PM4/2/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Three categories for Fast Food:

Fast Food
Fast Food Restaurant
Restaurant - Fast Food

But no categories for...

Fire Station
Fire Department
Power Plant

That's insane!

zxrayz

Apr 2, 2012, 7:15:24 PM4/2/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
I was just playing with you. About the category change... aka Deletions.   Just trying to laugh at the problem.

As I noted below that there are major problems but the problems are so big that it is obviously not going to be an overnight fix. Basically what Praneeth said in his post today. https://groups.google.com/d/topic/google-mapmaker/MgURWEwTrow/discussion

Rahim

Apr 3, 2012, 7:36:04 AM4/3/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com

Hi everyone,

@Dan -

We’re aware of the concerns being raised here. Yes, missing categories is one issue you all are waiting to see this resolved. But, this is an issue which requires major changes.

Since, this overhauling process is very complex, we will be needing more to time for fixes.

As for the issues other than this, we’re working hard to get these fixed.

@Pablo - Happy to hear you liked UI changes.

Thanks,
~Rahim

rjhintz

Apr 3, 2012, 11:23:39 AM4/3/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rahim,
No one expects a complex issue to be fixed completely and at once.  Some of us work in IT, so we understand the challenges, but really it's the same in any industry.

Small steps would be helpful, such as a changelog similar to that used by other Google projects.  Also, some evident sense that there actually is a plan would be helpful in managing expectations.  The fiasco with the spreadsheet is a good example of what not to do.  None of this is new.

It's pretty clear to anyone that's mapped more than a couple of features that categories and the management of their change workflow directly affects mapper productivity, mapper retention, and the ability of someone to make that first edit.
--
Rich

Henry

Apr 4, 2012, 3:59:47 AM4/4/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
I vote on more detailed guidance with frequently updated examples.  There are so many new variations that guidance is not always helpful.   The Fast Food variants mentioned earlier are confusing.  Look at Subways in Vegas...they list every category possible.   Today,  I looked at a few Japanese Primary entries and stopped because I encounter new variations I would call minor keyword stuffing.  I stopped cold when I found that there were giving clues (not explicit but clear enough) to find an adult place in one listing....just left them alone

thedrop

Apr 4, 2012, 10:50:36 AM4/4/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
The rendering issue!
And also the categories which randomly disappear

Chris Lindsley

Apr 4, 2012, 10:54:32 AM4/4/12
to General Map Maker on behalf of thedrop
My personal favorite is "Cable Car Station" and "Cable car station". It seems like scanning for duplicates and excluding differences in case would be quite easy.

Thanks for using Google Map Maker! =)

blissfulight

Apr 4, 2012, 7:56:29 PM4/4/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Now Trailhead is gone from Primary categories (https://groups.google.com/d/topic/google-mapmaker/ZzKWXXiKRZ0/discussion)

Does anyone at Google at least plan to someday announce when categories are being deprecated?  I don't think a major backend overhaul is required to announce the disappearance of categories, and the reasoning why.

James Arthur

Apr 4, 2012, 11:12:13 PM4/4/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Edits don't seem to "take." I have spent much effort trying to correct my company's street number and it's still wrong. I've tried editing in Google Maps, Places and Mapmaker. I've talked to the call center in India. NOTHING WORKS! Why is Google so user-unfriendly?

blissfulight

Apr 5, 2012, 1:32:21 AM4/5/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Post the link, and please use a separate comment thread.  This is more for generic problems with MM.  Thanks.

Deed

Apr 6, 2012, 3:50:57 AM4/6/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Other than the categories,I think GMM should be the only platform through which edits are added to google maps.This will make reviewing easier.

Willy Hrachovina

Apr 6, 2012, 9:58:24 AM4/6/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Since my previous issue is fixed (US 29/US 50 locked because of a bad edit), I wish they would do something to distinguish Map Maker and My Maps. Either make My Maps more visible and promote it, or change the name of Map Maker to prevent confusion. I say this because it seems that a lot of edits are being made here in Map Maker that would be better suited for My Maps.

Henry

Apr 9, 2012, 12:05:14 AM4/9/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Not a fix but a tool is on my shopping list.   Most problems I see are related to different databases/sources that are linked.  How about a graphic tool that you right click name, address, location, etc and a tree/logic map pops up of related information with column of each edit status.    I imagine this problem will get worse as Google develops more applications.  With this tool, edits should be applied to all related databases.    I thought about this because many edit histories show  change   xxx to xxx.   And you are left wondering why change something to itself?   I finally saw one example where this happens when there are other changes happening and Google presents this change.  It is confusing.      Maps needs to be able to find duplicates in Places more easily and vice versa.  Further, changes in one data source need to be more transparent how it changes or does not change a linked data source.

Bardi Harborow

Apr 10, 2012, 4:59:14 AM4/10/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
put australia on the list

Lucien

Apr 10, 2012, 8:07:27 AM4/10/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
When editing the name of a road, allow for multiple names in multiple languages to be edited at once. As it stands now, only one name can be added at a time, making editing road names outside of the English speaking world very time consuming.

Ulzii

Apr 10, 2012, 2:27:02 PM4/10/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
  • Increase editing limit of line feature for adding new road. The 5km is getting too short to edit in big territory like Mongolia.
  • Insert 2-3 sub-categories under the STATUE category like made material, size, date, age and topic.

Nathan Swartz

Apr 13, 2012, 1:20:33 AM4/13/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Make My Maps embeddable on other sites.