"Google Automated Reconciler 4" keeps adding bad data

DixonD

Aug 26, 2012, 7:22:41 PM8/26/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Hi! I fixed details of several post offices in Ukraine but the bot "Google Automated Reconciler 4" keeps re-adding bad data. Can be anything done with this? Link to the place

Mara Winslow

Aug 26, 2012, 8:29:33 PM8/26/12
to General Map Maker on behalf of DixonD
Yes,and others like it. On my first two reviews for the day I hit this locked edit (the original) by Google Bounds Fixer so that the corrected edit is now marked as a duplicate. While I was trying to approve Kaliban, I've forgotten where, in Horry county,  Bounds Fixer 4 moved the marker across the street (wrong) and self-approved. Both were Maps edits

This is not helpful.  Most of the edits that I see now are attempts to repair multiple 'bot damage.

On Sun, Aug 26, 2012 at 7:22 PM, General Map Maker on behalf of DixonD <google-mapmaker+noreply-APn2wQc6...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Hi! I fixed details of several post offices in Ukraine but the bot "Google Automated Reconciler 4" keeps re-adding bad data. Can be anything done with this? Link to the place

Thanks for using Google Map Maker! =)

Mara Winslow

Aug 26, 2012, 8:33:33 PM8/26/12
to General Map Maker on behalf of DixonD
Sorry, the second 'bot was Google Automatic Reconciler 4
Message has been deleted

Mara Winslow

Aug 27, 2012, 1:46:07 AM8/27/12
to General Map Maker on behalf of blissfulight
OMG, that's worse than anything here!  I approved an edit by GR Seandore and AR 4 had already changed it back before I could type it in US edits a few minutes ago.

On Sun, Aug 26, 2012 at 11:12 PM, General Map Maker on behalf of blissfulight <google-mapmaker+noreply-APn2wQc7...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Yup, same here:

Message has been deleted

Rahim

Aug 27, 2012, 7:32:19 AM8/27/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com

Hey Guys,

Thanks for sharing these instances. This will help us in passing on the feedback to the team handling the automated systems.

@Mara - We’d like to see the edit made by Google Automated Reconciler 4.

~Rahim

Mara Winslow

Aug 27, 2012, 4:03:25 PM8/27/12
to General Map Maker on behalf of Rahim
Sorry Rahim,

Since I reviewed Sean's change early this morning (EDT), it's fallen into the black hole between US Pending and My Edits.  I'll post it when it turns up.

Mara Winslow

Aug 28, 2012, 1:06:24 AM8/28/12
to General Map Maker on behalf of Rahim
Rahim,

This is another particularly outrageous example of AR 4....a sneaky 'Bot?  This edit was done by the other RER here and it's been hit twice by AR 4 in 24 hours.  As fast as I approve them his changes are undone by this 'bot.

We both now this hospital well.  The editor lives near here and my father died in this hospital.

Mara Winslow

Aug 28, 2012, 1:08:30 AM8/28/12
to General Map Maker on behalf of Rahim
'that should be know

Rahim

Aug 28, 2012, 1:33:01 AM8/28/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com

Thanks, Mara.
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Amir

Aug 29, 2012, 3:23:53 AM8/29/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rahim,

This is another example which author corrected location of a feature but the bot moved it to the wrong place :

Fredrik

Aug 29, 2012, 8:29:39 AM8/29/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
I'm also getting tired of fighting bots.
I've cleaned out a lot of one-time events in my area, such as, concerts, lectures, expos.
Once edited and approved, the events get added back by "Google Automated Reconciler 3/4" - this is not helping me keeping the local are clean from bad spots!

Fredrik

Aug 29, 2012, 8:31:24 AM8/29/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
This is one example of many (from the same location)
http://goo.gl/LI74x

Fredrik

Aug 29, 2012, 8:38:26 AM8/29/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
There's also anonymous users, probably bots, that adds the original bad data.

Green Heron

Aug 29, 2012, 4:57:57 PM8/29/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Automated Reconciler 4 keeps vandalizing post offices in the U.S. too. It totally sucks.

Mutant Platypus

Aug 31, 2012, 3:48:42 PM8/31/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Rahim, can we please pause these Automated Reconcilers?  Or at least rename them to "Automagical Wreck-The-Siters"? ;-)

Are you still looking for cases of bad edits, or do you have enough examples?  I can provide more if it will help.

Pytak

Sep 1, 2012, 2:08:17 PM9/1/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
I am a victim of AR4 too. It keeps moving a store that I added to a random residential lot next to it.

It might be because the store building is missing its house number, but this doesn't seem editable in any way.
I have adjusted the location 3 times and at this point I'm just going to give up.
Message has been deleted

Andrew0002

Sep 1, 2012, 8:06:30 PM9/1/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com

I work at Texarkana College in Texarkana, Texas, and we are having issues with the Google Automated Reconciler replacing our accurate data with bad data. Several Months ago it renamed our college from "Texarkana Community College" to "Clock Tower". I tried many times to edit the boundary and change it back to "Texarkana College". Now the Automated Reconciler has changed the name to "Texarkana College Electronics Department". It is also changing our phone numbers and is adding old phone numbers that are no longer in service. There are also names in other languages - which would be fine if they were correct, but I checked the Korean, Russian, and Japanese translation and they all say Clock Tower.

I made an edit a few hours ago and it was approved, but the data was all changed back moments later by Google Automated Reconciler 4. I know that this is a new feature, but this is really annoying after all the hours I spent editing the map for the college, and disappointing that there is no way to prevent it from continually compromising my edits.

If anyone has found a way to prevent the reconciler from updating, or if a Google employee has the ability to fix this, please let me know.

Has anyone tried deleting a feature that is continually updated by the reconciler and creating a new one in it's place. I doubt it would help - but just curious.

Thanks,

Andrew Nicholson
Message has been deleted

Andrew Sawyer

Sep 1, 2012, 9:42:23 PM9/1/12
to General Map Maker on behalf of blissfulight
Why shut it down when we're helping them hone their algorithm.
From: General Map Maker on behalf of blissfulight <google-mapmaker+noreply-APn2wQc7...@googlegroups.com>
Sender: General Map Maker on behalf of blissfulight <google-...@googlegroups.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2012 18:27:49 -0700 (PDT)
ReplyTo: General Map Maker on behalf of blissfulight <google-...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: "Google Automated Reconciler 4" keeps adding bad data

Since Google won't say anything, I will.  This is a bug.  Both bots are making bad edits, and Google knows this.  It's a top priority to fix, and they're working on it.

Why won't Google say anything?  Who knows.

Why won't Google just shut down the bots, if they know they're making bad edits? Who knows.

Mutant Platypus

Sep 2, 2012, 12:36:25 AM9/2/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
For the same reason there are strict requirements for testing products on humans.  The reconcilers are causing damage that will take a lot of time to fix.  In the interim, the reputation of the accuracy of Google Maps among the public (not mappers, the general public, the one that advertisers pay for) declines.

From: General Map Maker on behalf of blissfulight <google-mapmaker+noreply-APn2wQc7TzYLnJLEJAQVGcIhMgQlT6OWXH7...@googlegroups.com>

Flash

Sep 2, 2012, 4:25:41 AM9/2/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
@Fredrick - That anonymous bot is the Places bot, it is the bot that normally transfers information from the Places database.  It has been around for a long time.  It isn't creating bad data, just transferring bad data from Places.  But the majority of what it transfers is good data.

@Pytak - Sometimes these things won't stick when you edit the normal ways; this was an issue even before these latest bots.  I moved it in Maps instead, see if it sticks once that is approved.

@Andrew0002 - You have merges going on; that's nothing to do with these bots.  The merges either happened over on the Places database, or happened here and then got transferred there, and the bots are just bringing the info back over from that database.  I could look deeper and try to figure it out, but I can almost guarantee that it will be that the merges happened there.  You cannot fix Places merges through Map Maker; that would be why you keep fighting it.  I assume you have claimed your main listing through Places; you need to get Places support involved to unsort it, though I'll warn you that they are not too good with really complex merges.  You wouldn't be one of those colleges that uses the same address for every building, would you?  If so, you can expect the merges to continue, a mapping program has a bit of an issue when you hand it a bunch of similarly named POIs with the same address.

Rahim

Sep 4, 2012, 7:08:52 AM9/4/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com

Hi all,

We’ve been hearing your feedback on Google Automated Reconciler 4 for quite some time. We understand how frustrating it is for you to see some of your edits getting reversed. Appreciate your patience as our engineering team is working on to get this resolved. I’ll keep you posted if I have any updates to share on this thread.

Thanks,
~Rahim

JacKowski

Sep 9, 2012, 6:16:51 AM9/9/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
In Poland buildings are changed to borders: supermarkets, schools, ice-skates. I've changed a shape and description of our ice-skate building. Now on Buldings layer there is old shape without description, but on Borders layer, in the repaired shape, almost in the same place, there is a new border with good description.

GSHC

Sep 10, 2012, 10:15:30 AM9/10/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rahim,

We are having the same problem as many are stating here with the Google Automated Reconciler 4. We are trying to update our listing to its correct name Garden State Honda, and the GAR4 keeps changing it to JC Motors Group. There was also an issue with Google Automated Reconciler 3. Please see attached image.

We've gone through multiple channels to try and fix this business name and the other incorrect data (Places Dashboard, reporting an error through Google Maps and today going to Google Map Maker to also make the requested changes.)

You'll note in the attached image, the map maker point (which we've edited in our pending corrections) points to a JC Motors Group, which does not exist. If you look northwest from this marker, you will see Garden State Honda, which is the correct name and location. We believe the trouble is being caused by not only the bots but also because we have two locations, one in Passaic and one in Clifton. They are two separate stores at two separate locations with separate services (new cars vs used cars). We've claimed both locations in Google Places but still cannot get this fixed.

We'd be happy to give Google whatever information it needs to get this change made. After claiming postcards, and making corrections wherever we've found to be possible (including this form).

We are beyond frustrated at this point like many others. Thank you.

Also, if anyone else has any insight for us on this thread, we'd love to hear your feedback. Thanks.
GAR4 and GAR3 changes.JPG
Message has been deleted

eastwest

Sep 13, 2012, 3:50:20 AM9/13/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Here AR4 keeps re-adding the wrong address. http://goo.gl/gXlRZ
And here AR4 keeps moving the POI to the wrong place: http://goo.gl/jq6DH
Message has been deleted

thedrop

Sep 13, 2012, 5:54:09 AM9/13/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Junction Centre in Naypyitaw, Burma:

Look at the history and you'll see my failed attempts to clean up the bots' mess - it keeps adding the bad data!

John

Sep 14, 2012, 5:32:01 AM9/14/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Doubleday Field, Cooperstown, New York (or is it not "New York" but "NY?"  The bot thinks so...)

Bot re-added a removed "Portuguese" name that's not really Portuguese.

Bot removed, for the third time, a shape that had been approved twice by GRs.

Bot changed the address so the state is "NY" and not the correct "New York."

Stuff like this really gets discouraging.

On Tuesday, August 28, 2012 1:33:01 AM UTC-4, Rahim wrote:

Thanks, Mara.

thedrop

Sep 14, 2012, 2:18:38 PM9/14/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Here is a list with ALL features messed up by "Google Automated Reconciler 3" and "Google Automated Reconciler 4"
----------
ONE good edit by this "Reconciler"-bot: http://goo.gl/4TlZk (added wrong name - repaired it some days later!)
TWO: Ngalaik Dam - http://goo.gl/lfvYx (Google Reviewer changed information to worse - the bot fixed it!)

NOTICE: I have fixed a lot of spam edits, so they aren't showed in this list. Also, the list may not be complete.

Thanks! Hopefully this bot will learn a lesson and stop messing around! Kill it or whatever you have to do...

Mike

Sep 15, 2012, 11:18:55 AM9/15/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rahim,

Adding two more examples from AR4 for engineering to throw into data pool.

Slope Parking Corporation, Brooklyn NY: http://goo.gl/KhFEl

On Tuesday, September 4, 2012 7:08:52 AM UTC-4, Rahim wrote:
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Saikrishna Arcot

Sep 18, 2012, 7:35:35 AM9/18/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Times 2 on that one.

On Tuesday, September 18, 2012 5:30:28 AM UTC-5, blissfulight wrote:
Message has been deleted

Michael Sounhein

Sep 24, 2012, 8:07:58 PM9/24/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
@GMM team. It's bad enough that some people are denying my edits when they have no evidence that the edit is bad and I have evidence that the edit is good; now I have to deal with bots reversing my work. This on top of it taking 6 months to fix the terminal road issue. I think I'm done wasting my time even trying with GMM. I consider myself to have extreme patience but with all of these issues creeping up and wasting our time what is going to keep me editing when it's just going to be reversed by some bot or some uninformed reviewer or my edits disappearing entirely?

On Sunday, August 26, 2012 6:22:41 PM UTC-5, DixonD wrote:
Hi! I fixed details of several post offices in Ukraine but the bot "Google Automated Reconciler 4" keeps re-adding bad data. Can be anything done with this? Link to the place

MapperCE

Sep 25, 2012, 7:43:03 AM9/25/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
"Google Automated Cleaner 1" marked this feature as a duplicate which is ofc wrong. http://goo.gl/W1t7F

And AR4 keeps messing up "Ministry of Border Areas, National Races and Development Affairs" - http://goo.gl/nw1RB

Milestone LocalTeam

Sep 26, 2012, 12:08:33 AM9/26/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
I am having the same problem with Google Reconciler Bot 4.  my listing was fully optimized with correct NAPU, and many times has this same bot has changed the name, deleted phone numbers, and worst of all marked this location as a duplicate.  please stop this rogue bot Google

the listing suffering at the hand of GRB4:  https://plus.google.com/115193401943265012262/about?hl=en

Caboosey

Sep 27, 2012, 3:56:20 AM9/27/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Same here. Google Automated Reconciler 4 reverted changes to the boundary back to UWF. I made changes to the boundary to the correct boundary of the property.

http://goo.gl/DTO6V

The edit is locked and cant undo what the bot did wrong.

Message has been deleted

salman shah

Oct 1, 2012, 4:42:12 PM10/1/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
This bot no 4 is so annoying. It has edited my business place and deleted some data.

DixonD

Oct 3, 2012, 12:57:29 AM10/3/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Hope it will be fixed at last anytime soon. One more edit: http://goo.gl/8Y3ir Many our edits are just wasted with that bot.

Milestone LocalTeam

Oct 3, 2012, 11:46:56 PM10/3/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
I have another listing that was struck by this bot.  All my information is correct on the backend dashboard, but i can see in Map Maker that this bot has gone in and incorrectly changed my listings Name and Phone Number.  The URL was also edited on Map Maker, but luckily has not yet changed on the frontend listing.

Google please stop this Bot, it is doing more harm than good.

Flash

Oct 4, 2012, 1:03:53 AM10/4/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
@Milestone - I don't have the time to delve deeply, but that last one you posted has all the signs of a merge on the Places database.  It looks like the Hertz kiosk at that location used the hotel name in it's listing, and as a result the two were combined.  A Places merge can only be solved by Places support, Map Maker cannot fix those.  I would suggest you log a ticket with Places support.

Andrew Sawyer

Oct 4, 2012, 1:07:34 AM10/4/12
to General Map Maker on behalf of Flash
AR3 mangled it first then AR4 finished it off. Not sure if the Hyatt feature initially setup was a kiosk as the phone number doesn't come up with anything definitive in a search.
Message has been deleted

Andrew Sawyer

Oct 5, 2012, 12:05:29 PM10/5/12
to General Map Maker on behalf of MapperCE
@MapperCE, are all/some of those names accurate?
From: General Map Maker on behalf of MapperCE <google-mapmaker+noreply-APn2wQde...@googlegroups.com>
Sender: General Map Maker on behalf of MapperCE <google-...@googlegroups.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2012 08:51:53 -0700 (PDT)
ReplyTo: General Map Maker on behalf of MapperCE <google-...@googlegroups.com>

Google Automated Reconciler 4 added names to this feature: http://goo.gl/S5iYq

Mandalay International Airport:ApprovedChanged on Oct 1, 2012 10:55am by Google Automated Reconciler 4
Name
Added:マンダレー国際空港 (Japanese, type: Primary)
Added:Aeropuerto Internacional de Mandalay (Spanish, type: )
Added:曼德勒國際機場 (Chinese (Taiwan), type: )
Added:Мандалай эл-аралык аэропорту (Kirghiz, type: )
Added:Aeropuerto de Mandalay (Spanish, type: )
Added:曼德勒国际机场 (Chinese (China), type: )
Added:Sân bay quốc tế Mandalay (Vietnamese, type: )
Added:Aéroport international de Mandalay (French, type: )
Added:Port lotniczy Mandalaj (Polish, type: )
Added:만달레이 국제공항 (Korean, type: )
Added:マンダレー空港 (Japanese, type: )
Added:Mandalay International (Unknown Language (Latin))
Added:VYMD (, type: )
Added:Flughafen Mandalay (German, type: )
Added:Международный аэропорт Мандалай (Russian, type: )
Center
Added:Center
After change

Rate the editUndo this edit

Thanks for using Google Map Maker! =)

Message has been deleted

Flash

Oct 6, 2012, 10:10:08 PM10/6/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
@MapperCE - I'm confused; I checked almost every one of those in Google Translate and they all seemed correct.  Which ones do you feel are wrong?  Do you have better translations available, as perhaps the bots will leave those if we put them in place.

grzybi

Oct 7, 2012, 10:24:59 AM10/7/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Today GAR4 was updating POI in Poland - Shell petrol stations. Previously most of them were pointed in correct locations but addresses weren't complete (filled City, Street but numbers were missing). GAR4 added the numbers but unfortunately moved many locations to incorrect ones.

Rahim

Oct 9, 2012, 7:15:12 AM10/9/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com

Hey Guys,

We’ve been reading your forum posts and channeling your inputs and feedback to the team regularly. Just wanted to let you know that our engineering team is working through to ensure that the automated systems don’t cause anymore issues with features. We’ll report the progress on the Reconciler 4 as soon as we hear something from the team.

Thanks for your patience.

~Rahim