Gin 2.0

Peter Schmitt

Sep 1, 2012, 2:24:24 PM9/1/12
to Gin
Hi all,

it's finally here: Gin's newest release, 2.0! You can download it now from Gin's download page.

The major version jump is due to the significant project changes since the last release. A lot of the internals have been completely rewritten, paving the way for a lot of new features. Some highlights of this release:

- Private Modules
- Automatic Refresh in DevMode
- Access to Package Private Types

These, as well as many bug fixes and other improvements couldn't have been completed without the help of many supporters and contributors: Thank you!

Note that this release is not compatible with GWT before version 2.4.0.

Enjoy!

Peter

PS: I have to re-learn how to push this release to Maven but hopefully I can figure it out over the weekend. :)

Andrés Testi

Sep 1, 2012, 8:52:10 PM9/1/12
to googl...@googlegroups.com
Thanks a lot!

- Andrés

Cristian Rinaldi

Sep 1, 2012, 9:05:32 PM9/1/12
to googl...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the improvements!

Juan Pablo Gardella

Sep 2, 2012, 2:14:23 AM9/2/12
to googl...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Where is the release notes?

Juan

Evgeniy Bulanov

Sep 5, 2012, 7:30:32 AM9/5/12
to googl...@googlegroups.com
Good job, thanks.

P.S.: We are waiting the release in maven repo ;)

Filipe Sousa

Sep 5, 2012, 11:37:45 AM9/5/12
to googl...@googlegroups.com
+1

Peter Schmitt

Sep 8, 2012, 3:23:30 PM9/8/12
to googl...@googlegroups.com
I prepared the maven release on staging, please test it and let me know if all is in order. Once I've gotten a bit of feedback I'll release it: https://oss.sonatype.org/content/repositories/comgooglegwtinject-268/com/google/gwt/inject/gin/2.0.0/

+1

Thomas Broyer

Sep 9, 2012, 7:13:19 AM9/9/12
to googl...@googlegroups.com

On Saturday, September 8, 2012 9:23:32 PM UTC+2, Aragos wrote:
I prepared the maven release on staging, please test it and let me know if all is in order. Once I've gotten a bit of feedback I'll release it: https://oss.sonatype.org/content/repositories/comgooglegwtinject-268/com/google/gwt/inject/gin/2.0.0/

I don't know if you consider this too late to fix in 2.0 (as this hasn't been reported earlier) but I don't understand why GIN depends on gwt-servlet (I separate my client and server-side code in distinct modules, so my client module doesn't depend on gwt-servlet, and thus I have a transitive dependency on it with a different version than the one I use otherwise), and I wonder if guice-assistedinject could be changed to <optional>true</optional> (with 1.5, if I didn't use AssistedInject but added an explicit dependency on Guice 3.0, I'd have a transitive dependency on the 3.0-rc2; with 2.0 the dependency has been updated to Guice 3.0, but Guice is about to release a 3.1; in the end, I had to add AssistedInject to my project so I didn't investigate if excluding guice-assistedinject would have caused problems)

(I haven't yet tried 2.0, just looked at the POM out of curiosity)

Abraham Lin

Sep 10, 2012, 10:05:22 AM9/10/12
to googl...@googlegroups.com
On Sunday, September 9, 2012 7:13:19 AM UTC-4, Thomas Broyer wrote:
I wonder if guice-assistedinject could be changed to <optional>true</optional>

I have no strong opinions about this, but does the transitive dependency really matter? If you declare a newer version of Guice in your POM, the transitive dependency is ignored, which seems to yield the desired outcome. And if you're not referencing AssistedInject classes, they (presumably) won't be loaded, and so any API incompatibilities at compile time should be avoided.

That being said, I'm not sure that using a newer version of Guice in a client project really makes sense (don't you generally need the Gin support as well?).

Thomas Broyer

Sep 10, 2012, 12:56:04 PM9/10/12
to googl...@googlegroups.com
Well, it's mostly so that I use the same version of Guice everywhere in my app (client-side, server-side, standalone tools, etc.) and define that version once in the parent POM.

Peter Schmitt

Sep 16, 2012, 5:28:21 PM9/16/12
to googl...@googlegroups.com
I was trying to remove the dependency on gwt-servlet (which admittedly doesn't make sense) and in doing so I deleted the existing staging version of the release. Unfortunately I seem to be unable to upload a new version at the moment - updates here when I have them.

As for making assisted inject optional, I don't think that'll work although I haven't tried it - but Gin uses assisted inject internally itself.

Peter Schmitt

Sep 24, 2012, 3:11:50 PM9/24/12
to googl...@googlegroups.com
Ok, problems with Sonatype were fixed, the new maven release candidate is here: https://oss.sonatype.org/content/repositories/comgoogle-126/com/google/gwt/inject/gin/2.0.0/

Please test and let me know if it works. Once I have positive feedback I'll finalize the release.

Filipe Sousa

Sep 25, 2012, 5:07:21 AM9/25/12
to googl...@googlegroups.com
I'm using ivy and it seems to work.

Abraham Lin

Sep 27, 2012, 2:51:49 PM9/27/12
to googl...@googlegroups.com
Seems to work for me as well (using Maven).

Peter Schmitt

Sep 27, 2012, 3:10:42 PM9/27/12
to googl...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the feedback, the Maven release has been finalized. Enjoy! :)

On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 2:51 PM, Abraham Lin <atomknig...@gmail.com> wrote:
Seems to work for me as well (using Maven).

Chris Lercher

Oct 11, 2012, 5:53:49 PM10/11/12
to googl...@googlegroups.com
Which points does the new release change on the http://code.google.com/p/google-gin/wiki/GuiceCompatibility page?

Peter Schmitt

Oct 11, 2012, 8:43:11 PM10/11/12
to googl...@googlegroups.com
I've updated the compatibility page with Gin 2.0 features.

Chris Lercher

Oct 13, 2012, 12:27:51 PM10/13/12
to googl...@googlegroups.com
On Friday, October 12, 2012 2:43:12 AM UTC+2, Aragos wrote:
I've updated the compatibility page with Gin 2.0 features.

Thanks, that was quick. Are any points on the page planned for the next release?

Peter Schmitt

Oct 13, 2012, 1:02:28 PM10/13/12
to googl...@googlegroups.com
Work on Gin is pretty slow right now (partially due to me being very busy elsewhere) so there are no concrete plans for the next release yet. Potential candidates are multibinding and more optimizations but that's very speculative.

David Nouls

Mar 20, 2013, 3:34:00 PM3/20/13
to googl...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Any chance of getting support for custom scoping ? Or is that now available in 2.0 ?

Right now my code depends on the fact that GWT.create gives me a new scope,
but I could use an application wide scope as well and that is currently a bit cumbersome to support.

David

Peter Schmitt

Mar 21, 2013, 12:36:03 AM3/21/13
to Gin
Hi David,

no one is working on custom scoping right now and I know of no plans to support it. Note that I don't think it will solve the issue you seem to have - separate Ginjectors will never share state, even if scoping were available.