Portfolio performance graph won't load

Don

Feb 2, 2012, 1:51:36 PM2/2/12
to Google Finance
I love the performance graph that shows a daily snapshot of your
portfolio value but for the last few months it won't load at all for
me. Individual stock charts load fine but the one aggregate that I
care the most about will not. I've tried multiple browsers.

Does this work for anyone else?

Thanks,
Don

Karolina (Google Finance Product Manager)

Feb 2, 2012, 5:59:41 PM2/2/12
to Google Finance
Hello Don,

We show charts for portfolios with up to 50 stocks in them. That might
the limit you're running into.

- Karolina

Brooks

Feb 12, 2012, 8:25:53 AM2/12/12
to Google Finance
I have the same problem. My portfolio only has 7 equities, but it has
several years of transactions.

John Gilmour

Feb 12, 2012, 8:28:58 AM2/12/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Mine works. You might try, as a guess, deleting your browser cookies and cache.

John Gilmour
www.JcGilmour.ca
cell: 905-964-0614
phone: 905-346-3488
Computer Service, Sales & More
Special Dell P4 2.8, DDR2, SATA  XP pro, $199 no tax!

Hariharan Vijay

Mar 26, 2012, 4:30:05 PM3/26/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
That's not it... he's tried different browsers, and I've tried multiple computers and also clearing cookies / cache. Most times, the green box ('Loading') appears for a couple of seconds but nothing ever shows up.

From time to time, it does load... but it seems very arbitrary and temperamental.

On Feb 2, 1:51 pm, Don <dpch...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I love the performance graph that shows a daily snapshot of your
> portfolio value but for the last few months it won't load at all for
> me. Individual stock charts load fine but the one aggregate that I
> care the most about will not. I've tried multiple browsers.
>
> Does this work for anyone else?
>
> Thanks,
> Don

Naz

Apr 11, 2012, 4:49:26 AM4/11/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Yeah me too...

In fact it's not just Google, I can't get any server to load the charts including Yahoo, adn CNN finance...!
It must be a larger issue...

JD

May 3, 2012, 11:55:19 AM5/3/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Me too! I've contacted Google about it. It's really wasted some of my time... that I use for wasting time.
JD

Karolina (Google Finance team)

May 3, 2012, 3:56:22 PM5/3/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
That sounds really frustrating, I'm sorry the charts are being so temperamental.

Naz, in your case it sounds like you might have flash disabled?
JD and everyone else who's having problems: Is it just the portfolio page that's problematic, or are you seeing issues with all charts?

 - Karolina

Bill Martin

May 4, 2012, 10:20:52 AM5/4/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
I have 3 portfolios.  Two work fine; the third (the biggest, with 43 stocks) never shows performance.  Nothing erratic; the two always work while the biggest one never works.  Same for Chrome, IE and Firefox.

Jack

May 12, 2012, 2:55:49 PM5/12/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
I have the same problem. It's just the portfolio page. All of my other charts load without a problem. I just cannot see the chart that displays my portfolio performance. The green "loading" box appears, and then nothing. I have had this problem on multiple computers and multiple browsers for months, so the problem is not with my system or browser. I have less than 50 stocks in my portfolio.

Brandon

Sep 18, 2012, 1:56:00 PM9/18/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Unfortunately this doesn't seem to resolve my issue. I really think this is a computational limit due to the complexity of a portfolio (maybe a timeout issue?). My main portfolio has 23 holdings and 63 transactions dating back to 2002. The graph won't load. However, if I split the transactions into 3 separate portfolios (put the newest 20 transactions in portfolio A, middle 20 in B,  last 23 in C), then in all 3 portfolios the chart will work. Alternatively, if I take my 63 transactions and delete the newest 30, the graph will load. If I take the 63 transactions and delete the oldest 30, the chart will load. It doesn't seem to be an issue with particular stocks or transactions, simply the total amount of data being processed.

It's also worth noting that even in my large main portfolio, the chart will show up maybe once every 20 refreshes, but the vast majority of the time I get the green "loading..." followed by a blank chart area. I really wish Google would resolve this issue...

On Friday, September 14, 2012 5:57:21 AM UTC-4, Phantum wrote:
Yes the performance graph works.  I had a similar problem a while back and tracked it down to a problem with the transactions.  I think it was because I had added a stock to watch using "edit portfolio", rather than editing transaction data.  For example adding an index, where you just want to display it on the portfolio view.  The performance did not work if I added stock without transactions.  It works if you have a simple watch list with no transactions, but not if you mix stocks with transactions and no transactions.

You could also try exporting your portfolio transactions as csv and looking at them in a spreadsheet.  I found a lot of extra transactions in mine with no stock details, because I had deleted that stock from my "edit portfolio" after the stock was no longer traded, because I did not want it cluttering up my display of stocks.  On the downloaded CSV file it shows all these transactions with no data for date, stock, price, number, etc.  The only thing that shows it is still there is the buy/sell field and the comment (which is how I figured it out)

I hope this helps.

Phantum

Sep 18, 2012, 2:15:00 PM9/18/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Hmm, looking at my portfolio it is about 29 stocks with 307 transactions of which 173 are actually used in the net value plot and the others are transactions that are missing buy price quantity and other transaction data after I deleted them in the edit portfolio.  It still draws the performance chart although every day the last point shows a jump of a few thousand extra so it is confused about something like the lack of dates in transactions...  So I think it is more than a limit on the number of transactions for you.

When you export your portfolio and look at it in a spreadsheet do you have any incomplete transactions there?  It could be when you split or edit the portfolio it cleans it up...  Also did you try disabling the google flash player plugins in chrome:plugins and just use the adobe?

Sorry was not more help.  I have found it very difficult to get support for google products like this unfortunately there is not much you can do.  One time I managed to get some attention posting on the bug reports in the code development but I could never find where it was again...

Brandon

Sep 19, 2012, 1:05:27 PM9/19/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Yes, upon exporting I have 5 incomplete transactions, but this doesn't appear to be a static number. Earlier this morning there were 22, yesterday afternoon there were 63, and yesterday night there were 43. Incomplete transactions seem to occur for any portfolio of mine, regardless of size or number of transactions. For instance --if I make a new portfolio with the lone transaction being a purchase of 1 share of AAPL one day ago, then export this transaction, I get 67 incomplete transactions followed by the real one. This appears to be a caching issue relating to how Google handles exports per user. I always (currently) have 69 rows of data (67 incomplete + 1 real + header, or 63 real+5 incomplete+header). This isn't a browser or local issue because I get the same result on my android phone. Still, it's worth noting that the performance chart works for my smaller portfolios even if there are incomplete transactions in the exports.

Brandon Heyer

May 16, 2013, 12:31:08 PM5/16/13
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Tula,

Try exporting your portfolio to csv, deleting any blank rows or rows that have random values in them (I had some rows that just had a price or qty and nothing else). Then delete your portfolio, create a new one and disable dividends. After that reimport with the cleaned up file. That may help.

Brandon

On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 9:58 AM, tula sacra <tula...@gmail.com> wrote:
lost my portfolio graph few days ago,
turned off "enable dividend reporting" - did not help

On Thursday, May 9, 2013 4:14:32 AM UTC+2, Brandon Heyer wrote:
Hi All,

The problem for me was that I had "enable dividend reporting" turned on. After I turned that off the chart came right up! This was for both a full import portfolio and an portfolio I imported each stock's set of transactions.

Hope that helps.
Brandon

On Friday, April 19, 2013 1:50:51 PM UTC-4, Brandon Heyer wrote:
I have the same issue. About 1.5yrs of transaction data and 6 MUTFs. I have another one that has 6yrs of transaction data but only 1 MUTF and that loads up after a few second delay. I tried exporting from the first. The spreadsheet had about 14 rows with type as "buy" and no symbol, name, or date.11 with 'Buy' and a date, and one with a 'Cash' name, 'Deposit Cash' and date, as well as the same without any date. None had shares/price/cash value etc.

If I delete those and uploading into a new portfolio, same problem exists.

tulasacra

May 21, 2013, 3:44:41 AM5/21/13
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for suggestion.

However, I do not have any blank or otherwise erroneous rows in the exported csv.

Brandon Heyer

May 25, 2013, 12:52:28 AM5/25/13
to google-...@googlegroups.com
The only other thing I could think of is to export the CSV, and import it symbol by symbol. You may have one symbol with a bad transaction, and this may help eliminate the issue, or at least zero in on it. Obviously, let the graph try to draw after each import.

On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 10:32 AM, Clark Magnuson <clarkm...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Wednesday, May 8, 2013 7:14:32 PM UTC-7, Brandon Heyer wrote:
Hi All,

The problem for me was that I had "enable dividend reporting" turned on. After I turned that off the chart came right up! This was for both a full import portfolio and an portfolio I imported each stock's set of transactions.

Hope that helps.
Brandon

OK, I just tried that, and it does not make my errant Google Finance Portfolio Charts accurate.
AND my one portfolio that works, has dividend reporting enabled.

hatcr...@gmail.com

Nov 23, 2014, 1:27:13 PM11/23/14
to google-...@googlegroups.com
hi - also TMST is not able to be included in my portfolio.  Not price data.  Yahoo finance finds TMST just fine..............   (Timkin steel)

Trevor Sutherland

Apr 20, 2015, 11:30:16 PM4/20/15
to google-...@googlegroups.com, kn...@google.com
Hi Karolina,

I am having the same problem.I think the others are right about this being a computational error on Google's part.
I have 13 different stocks in my portfolio and 31 individual transactions going back to 2012. I added the last 3 transactions on the 14th of April and as of the 15th this chart has stopped working for me. It keeps saying that there is a problem with the flash plugin.
It will do individual stock charts just fine. Even my other watch lists portfolio's summary charts are just fine but my main one keeps failing.

I have been really frustrated by this problem since Google's performance chart has been the main way I keep track of my overall performance.
I have tried everything including re installing chrome. The problem is now affecting the whole Chrome experience for me because the crashing plugin affects other tabs which are open too.

I experience the same issue when I try to view my portfolio on Internet explorer too.

Does Google have any plans to fix this issue?

Charles Pope

Sep 28, 2015, 2:33:47 PM9/28/15
to Google Finance
I am also having issues with the performance graph for one of my portfolios. The flash plugin keeps crashing, and it is only on that specific portfolio. The problem is constantly happening for that specific portfolio, but my others are ok. I've had this issue before with previous portfolios but they seemed to fix themselves after a while.

Matt Bingham

Dec 5, 2015, 8:48:23 AM12/5/15
to Google Finance, kn...@google.com
I have less than 50 stocks in my portfolio, and I have this same problem.  is there a limit on transactions too?

Patrick Stetter

Dec 22, 2015, 7:53:32 PM12/22/15
to Google Finance
I've had this problem on the portfolio graph intermittently for years now.  In the past six months it has failed completely.  I have well under 50 stocks.  Is anyone looking into this?  Is there more information needed for Google to take a look?

tc

Jul 8, 2017, 5:10:52 AM7/8/17
to Google Finance, kn...@google.com
Hi Karolina,

My portfolio have only 20 and the strange thing it the chart will load on my home notebook, but not on work PC.  Also it won't load on iPad or iPhone 7 plus.

So the problem appears to be environment related.

Google Finance Portfolio tool is very useful to measure my investment performance.  Would be great to have this problem fixed for everyone.  Appreciate your further investigation and advice.

TC