API problems with revision history

Toto

Nov 16, 2011, 1:11:54 AM11/16/11
to Google Documents List API
Hi there,

On Google Docs user interface (UI), for each document there are two
lists of the revision history: less and more detailed revisions. I
have two questions regarding this.

First, I use the Google Documents List API (Java version) to access
the revision history. The API only gives me the list of the less
detailed revisions and their metadata (revision numbers, editor IDs
and timestamps). I can only use the given revision numbers to obtain
the corresponding contents of the revisions. Although I can retrieve
the remaining revisions by using the revision numbers provided in the
less detailed revisions and calculating the remaining, I can not get
the metadata of the remaining revisions. How can I retrieve all
revisions (i.e. the detailed revisions) with their metadata?

Secondly, I used getModifyingUser() method of RevisionEntry class to
retrieve the editor IDs (which is "the creator of the revision", from
the API document). I checked the revision history UI of Google Docs,
sometimes there are more than one editor (for a particular revision).
Yet, the API always gives me one editor per revision. I wonder if
there is a way to get the list of all editors per revision (as
displayed on the revision history UI).

I got stuck with these two problems. Please help me.

Best regards,
Vilaythong

Vic Fryzel

Nov 16, 2011, 11:33:42 AM11/16/11
to google-docum...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 1:11 AM, Toto <vst...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi there,

On Google Docs user interface (UI), for each document there are two
lists of the revision history: less and more detailed revisions. I
have two questions regarding this.

First, I use the Google Documents List API (Java version) to access
the revision history. The API only gives me the list of the less
detailed revisions and their metadata (revision numbers, editor IDs
and timestamps). I can only use the given revision numbers to obtain
the corresponding contents of the revisions. Although I can retrieve
the remaining revisions by using the revision numbers provided in the
less detailed revisions and calculating the remaining, I can not get
the metadata of the remaining revisions. How can I retrieve all
revisions (i.e. the detailed revisions) with their metadata?

Sorry, but you cannot currently obtain the more detailed revisions from the API, and those revisions are editor specific, as far as I know.

Secondly, I used getModifyingUser() method of  RevisionEntry class to
retrieve the editor IDs (which is "the creator of the revision", from
the API document). I checked the revision history UI of Google Docs,
sometimes there are more than one editor (for a particular revision).
Yet, the API always gives me one editor per revision. I wonder if
there is a way to get the list of all editors per revision (as
displayed on the revision history UI).
This is something we're considering fixing in a future version of the API, but for now, only the one editor will come back.  Sorry.